PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

grico42
10-03-2004, 02:04 AM
I've heard talk about bad alignment causes the problem im having, but just wanted to double check. I did a serach but the search engine dosent work to well. Anyways the inside of my tires are almost blad if not bald. So i was wondering if there is a way to correct this. The rest of my tire is fine maybe a little bit lower on the outside of the tires then the middle, but the middle is thick still. Anyways let me know.

jondukes
10-03-2004, 09:41 PM
your camber seems very agressive more of a track setup
the logic is youll get full contact during hard turns when the bodys' rolling and flexing the chassis from g-forces
change your camber back to more of a stock degree cuz your just waisting tires IMO...peace

trannb
10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Bad (or good) alignment can cause increased tire wear. Poor tire inflation can cause tire wear. Not rotating your tires can cause tire wear. Any combination of the above could be what you're experiencing. It seems that most people are getting about 12,000 miles and a few track days out of their OEM tires. Some have gone significantly more, others have reported significantly less. How many miles do you have on them?

Depending on how bad your tires are really worn on the insides, you might still be able to flip them. At least that way you can use whatever is left of your tires. I'm doing this about halfway through the life of my tires (about 7,500 miles for me). The cost to flip your tires is anywhere from $30-$100 depending on where you go.

grico42
10-03-2004, 11:41 PM
air pressure is fine, and i rotated every 5000 miles. i have 10,xxx miles on the car.

flipping them probably wouldnt be a bad idea, i can do it myself though. so we shall see.

trannb
10-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about the tire wear "problems" then. Just flip them and call it a day.

gormless
10-04-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd recommend getting your alignment checked. An dif you do so take the Evo's alignment specs with you.

I too had tire wear problems ( wiped out my tires in 8k miles ), had the alignment checked and found out it was massively out of spec.

Post alignment the overall feel of the car is much better and of course the tire isn't as horrendous anymore.