PDA

View Full Version : *Pop* Goes my tire! (and my budget)

Nynguah
10-04-2004, 01:24 PM
My buddy and I were carrying some tofu out to some Valley of the Dirt People customers east of Temecula (msg me for the address) when we nailed a pothole in BFE and ripped a gash in the sidewall of my GY Eagle F1-GSD3s. I spent the better part of Sunday calling around trying to find a new set (28k miles into the set, a single tire isn't a viable option) only to find out they're all backordered from the factory until mid-November.

Sooo... I'm now trying out a new set of Michellin Sport Cup SP2s. They'll need some time to break in, I'm sure, but I'm interested in seeing how they hold up. The F1s were on target to be a 40k-50k mile tire which rocks - given their grip. They got a bit mushy in turns which is where the Sport Cups are supposed to shine, so I'm hoping I grabbed some good replacement treads.

Well, here's to some new rubber and hoping it lasts more than a week ;)

-Josh

Evo-8
10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
bummer. Atleast u knew not to change just that tire.

For those of you who don't know, due to our AWD system ur not supposed to ever have 1 tire different from the rest. If they have different tread they spin at different speeds causing damage to the transfer case and tranny.

jondukes
10-04-2004, 03:37 PM
i wanted those PS2 but couldnt afford them they have different compound (silica??)on the outer edge giving great turn in good luck...post your opinions

leaveit2bevo
10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
KDs are the best replacments and they have a 200 rating for treadwear so they may last around 10-15k

dpardo
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
KDs are the best replacments and they have a 200 rating for treadwear so they may last around 10-15k

Bevo,

Have you had a chance to try out the KDs at a track?

Absinthe
10-04-2004, 05:04 PM

Bevo,

Yeah you dont want to do that the combination of sidewall and rubber on the KD lends them to chunking real bad at the track unless you over inflate them and then you have no grip.

leaveit2bevo
10-04-2004, 05:14 PM

Bevo,

Yeah you dont want to do that the combination of sidewall and rubber on the KD lends them to chunking real bad at the track unless you over inflate them and then you have no grip.

where did you hear that from all the reviews I saw said they will good track tires, I dont really plan on tracking them becuase my kumhos got another few track days in them.

Absinthe
10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
didnt hear it I saw it firsthand (hapened to two different cars)at T-hill on a cold march day.

GokuSSJ4
10-04-2004, 07:04 PM

i hope they last more then that, at least 25k

leaveit2bevo
10-05-2004, 01:11 AM
didnt hear it I saw it firsthand (hapened to two different cars)at T-hill on a cold march day.

damn thanks for the info I forgot to ask you about it at the wla meet but I wont be running those fuckers on the track.

GokuSSJ4
10-05-2004, 01:33 AM
you already have track tires, used them !

WOT
10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Do you recall how much you payed for the f1 GS-D3's? I am glad to hear you re-considered getting the F1's.

I plan on getting either the F1 GS-D3's or PS-2's when the time comes as well. PS-2's because I can do a convenetional tire rotation, except the PS-2's dont have as long as a wear rating as the F1 GS-D3's.....I guess it's a toss up.

Regardless, I am looking forward to hearing your tires impression when you get them.