PDA

View Full Version : what's the proper way to speed shifting your evo?

nukee
10-05-2004, 10:56 PM
i've heard that powershifting is not really good for the evo

i came from an n/a car so driving techniques and shifting are a little bit differnt... dunno is i should dump the clutch while speedshifting?

What should i do?

jondukes
10-05-2004, 11:07 PM
dont drag the cluth,IMO i noticed it tries to distibute the power to all tires and just slows it down ,my best runs are(always legal)but are shifts where i drop the clutch( kinda like bringing it up with my foot not just a drop)and at 6200 during shifting ofcourse, launching from stands all depends on clutch wear and pocket $ize,hope im not horribly misleading you but thats what feels balls out the fastest/ most efficiant to me

JWest
10-06-2004, 11:43 AM
I say, learn how to be nice to your car first.

Its more fun driving an EVO than paying someone to fix it.

If you try hard enough, you can break just about any part of your driveline. Which do you want to replace first.

JW

nukee
10-07-2004, 03:36 AM
but others say that dumping the clutch during shifting is bad right? It would jerk... What do you mean when you said that (kinda bring up my foot not just a drop)? could you explain it further?

I've been very nice to my evo for a long time... and it bores me already, i'm ready to pay just to have fun... but i don't want to be breaking it all the time... So when i break the clutch, i will be getting an after market that will solve the launching... i'm just weak in shifting, and i need advice on how to make 0.25 second shifts.

jondukes
10-07-2004, 05:04 PM
dont just take your foot away and let it drop out, but bring it up with your foot as fast as you can (comfortably)
when i used to just let it drop out,there would be a loud thud from the drivetrain not being able to operate that fast without harm

nukee
10-08-2004, 03:12 AM
seems logical, but wouldn't it hurt my shift speed if i don't drop the clutch?

EVOate909
10-08-2004, 12:32 PM
i noticed too..i had to shift slower compared from my NA car b4..powershifting is coo but u'll get owned if u mess up :cool:

drmosh
10-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I have done power shifting, it is hell on your clutch, fastest way to kill it.

When I mean powershifting I mean not letting off the gas between shifts.

apexstrafer
10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
IMO, not a good thing to do on evos. learn to shift smooth before shifting fast.