PDA

View Full Version : Tire shine overspay, help with trying to clean

evo_z
10-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Ok, I'll keep it short and to the point. Picked up my car from the body shop last monday. They'd cleaned the car before pickup and used an unknown gel like tire shine product on it. Schmucks didn't let it dry first before I picked it up. Drove home on the freeway. Got back and now there are a gazillion little black spots on the side and big 'splash' marks near the wheel wells. Tried to wipe them off but it seems to have stained the paint (it's a white evo btw) and won't come off even after a hand wash.

I'd did some looking around the web and Mequiar's has their Bug and Tar remover. Now I would think tar has more staining power than the tire shine gel so I'm hoping this will work. If anyone has had problems with tire shine overspray and were able to clean it please advise as to what's the best way to handle this shitty mess!

Thanks in advance!

IS2000
10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I usually cleaned it with Meguiar's quick detailer spray.
You can also use bugs & tar remover (I used that on my last car).

evo_z
10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick response. With the bug/tar remover, does it harm the paint? Is the detailer spray a wax? I actually tried using the Mequiar's 3 step wax system and it didn't help it.

IS2000
10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Try using the bug & tar remover in a small invisible area first. Worked fine on my IS300 (it was white as well). Quick detailer is not a wax. It is good for lifting dirts and rubber off the paint.

evo_z
10-06-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks again, I'll give it a try!

Ding Chavez
10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
if all else fails, mybe try and wet sanding technique. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! If you sand to much it will take the clear coat off and dig right into the paint!!! So use this only if all else fails. Good luck, i hope things work out.

Absinthe
10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
if all else fails, mybe try and wet sanding technique. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! If you sand to much it will take the clear coat off and dig right into the paint!!! So use this only if all else fails. Good luck, i hope things work out.

this is risky if its that tough to get off take it back to the shop and make them right there error.

Ding Chavez
10-08-2004, 01:12 PM
thats true, i think that they also might sombine the clear and paint coats together straight from mitsu. so i prob wouldnt try it. too risky

EVOate909
10-08-2004, 03:36 PM
i use meguires tire shine...its really good

subgraphic
10-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Goo gone.

Evo-8
10-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Goo gone.

ya try goo gone and that tar remover. If they dont work take it back to the shop and tell the fuckers to fix it.

evo_z
10-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Took my car back to the body shop and they fixed the problem. The guy who handled my claim was pretty nice about it too so I wasn't too upset with the situation. He claims that the shine they use is clear and wouldn't leave a residue. I'm thinking the advans may have reacted to it causing the black overspray.

In any case, they ended up using a laquire solvent cleaner (hope i spelled that right) to clean it off the metal parts. It was harder to remove from the plastic parts (bumper cover) so they ended up sanding and buffing it off. They did a pretty good job, I can still see a few marks on the inner edge of the wheel well lip but you really have to look to see. I'm just glad that everything is finally fixed on my car.

CT9A RS
10-18-2004, 11:26 PM
well next time u get some shtuff like that on there u can also try a clay bar.