PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Street Ride

Evo 12B
10-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I haven't taken the EVO plunge yet, but I'm planning it out. The current mags all say the 2005 MR Bilsteins improve the ride significantly without giving up anything. Can this be a quick fix for 2004s and/or 2003s Evo 8s also?

If not, are there any other tricks to reduce the bobblehead? Tires?

drmosh
10-11-2004, 03:49 PM
I haven't taken the EVO plunge yet, but I'm planning it out. The current mags all say the 2005 MR Bilsteins improve the ride significantly without giving up anything. Can this be a quick fix for 2004s and/or 2003s Evo 8s also?

Another car... if the 03 or 04 EVO is too stiff for you, you should stick to something else less "enthusiast" oriented.

DTunedEvoX
10-11-2004, 03:52 PM
For the cost of replacing your 03/04's with the 05 MR Edition Blistens from the factory would probably be enough to buy aftermarket coilovers :shock: ...

Evo 12B
10-11-2004, 03:58 PM
hmmm...I was afraid of these kinds of replies. They sure seem wise, though -- thanks!

Absinthe
10-11-2004, 04:04 PM

If cost is not a concern for you this is a good route to improve ride quality, if you dont mind loosing some traction you could easily go with a slightly softer tyre.

apexstrafer
10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
have you driven an evo yet? if not, call around and find a dealer that'll let you take one for a test drive and determine then if you need it to be softer. it's really not that bad, to be honest. its a firm ride, but not rock-hard.

if, after driving one, you feel that it's too hard, then you have 3 choices:

1) pony up for an MR (if you don't like that vortex generator fin thing above the rear window, you can peel it off and sell it in the classifieds here)

2) get some aftermarket coilovers that one of the local suspension tuners can tailor to your needs (roadrace engineering is generally regarded as the best, www.roadraceengineering.com)

3) as dino (drmosh) said, maybe look into getting a different car. these things don't make many compromises for comfort and luxury. it's all about getting from here to there as fast as effing possible. the STi for example is a little softer-edged and might be easier to live with.

Evo 12B
10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Yes, I've driven one (on a familiar boulevard and freeway at that), but I haven't given it a fair shake. The written reviews primed me for a choppy ride, so I found one.

You're right -- the experience was really good and felt only a little more washboard-y than my 325i when it was a lot newer.

I'll make an appointment to take a much longer test drive in off-peak hours.

Again, thanks -- this is my first post, and you guys are great with the answers.

Chris in SD
10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Don't feel bad - there is a lot to be said for ride quality. That said, buy an MR or buy some aftermarket Bilstein or Ohlins coilovers. For me, I think the Ralliart Bilsteins are the ticket. I checked for spring rates - they have 3 different ones from really soft to rock hard. I'll probably go for the middle ones (about 8kg/mm front and 9 kg/mm rear).

Boosted
10-11-2004, 08:52 PM
For the cost of replacing your 03/04's with the 05 MR Edition Blistens from the factory would probably be enough to buy aftermarket coilovers :shock: ...

yea thats my contemplation as well

Evo 12B
10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Don't feel bad - there is a lot to be said for ride quality. That said, buy an MR or buy some aftermarket Bilstein or Ohlins coilovers. For me, I think the Ralliart Bilsteins are the ticket. I checked for spring rates - they have 3 different ones from really soft to rock hard. I'll probably go for the middle ones (about 8kg/mm front and 9 kg/mm rear).

OK -- there's a lot to investigate, and I look forward to developing a "supension & handling" plan

p.s. sorry, I'm still playing newbie with this forum & trying out the tricks :?:

Chris in SD
10-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Bilstein and Ohlins are renowned for maintaining a good ride with excellent damping and traction. That's my goal - I want something livable that keeps the contact patches in place. Cost is about $3500 for either setup...

Jamie@WORKS
10-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I was amazed the first time I drove the WORKS/Ohlins Stage II package. It took in the bumps of San Fran's local roads quite well at both low and high speeds. The same roads on stock suspension left my kidneys angry ;)

Once we hit the freeway exit ramps at speed, I couldn't believe how much grip there was. I thought I was at the limits, but pushed harder and found more to spare.

When I do take the plunge, I'll be picking up a set of WORKS/Ohlins (http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=82) for my own EVO :)

Chris in SD
10-13-2004, 04:26 PM
That's a great price, Jamie. I think you guys are helping me decide on the Ohlins...

Boosted
10-13-2004, 06:40 PM
the STi for example is a little softer-edged and might be easier to live with.

wheres the fun in that?

:twisted: hahaah :lol:

apexstrafer
10-13-2004, 10:22 PM
precisely why I drive an evo my friend ;)

Boosted
10-13-2004, 10:30 PM
precisely why I drive an evo my friend ;)