PDA

View Full Version : 1st to second shift noise

Boomshine
10-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Do you guys get a clunk noise when shiftin from first to second quickly at high revs. I know rear wheel cars chirp the tires? So basically the awd takes most of the power. Do you guys get anty noise or anything that sounds like a clunk

lqdchkn
09-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Bumpsky

GOOSE_Ej
09-15-2005, 08:46 PM
ya i get that too is this good???

lqdchkn
09-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Thats what I'm wondering

silvery_eagle
09-15-2005, 10:18 PM
i believe it's not good... anything clunking hurts the transmission i think?
it probably means you release the clutch too fast or the engine is not very warm up yet... i dunno just my own opinion coz i did hear the noise a few time and figure it's because of my driving so i change and press some gass before fully release the cluch on 2nd gear and the clunks dissapear :)

jnay
09-16-2005, 01:52 AM
yea i hear that noise sometimes on my car. i found that it only happenned as i changed from first to second while accelerating quickly AND changing below 4 thousand rpm. In order to prevent this noise i only shift over 4 thousand rpm from first to second. it tends to smooth everything out.

rammsteinmatt
09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
ok we need to put some basic things out.

the evo is not a drag car, if used otherwise it will be more prone to break things. this includes fast shifting/speed shifting

ok there are 2 clunks i get in my evo.
1. the actual shifter (inside the car) clunks into some gears - thats normal, get a short shifter if you dont like it
2. a clunk in the drive line. thats not normal. if the car could speak english it would say "stop fucking doing that", but it just clunks. i have found that the car only does this when im ripping through the gears, basically drag racing. the cause of the problem (what i can tell) is like a RWD car will chirt its tires if the clutch is let out too quickly, ours tries that too; except with AWD there isnt enough power to do this. so all that energy isnt expelled into the tires/pavement, it is however sent back into the driveline (tc/diffs/tranny) and basically they take all this energy. not good. the car can be warm, hot, or cold and it will still clunk if the clutch isnt operated properly. people this isnt a honda

jnay: i can accelerate fast and shift before 4k, but if i try to shift fast it will clunk sometimes. in normal driving i dont really shift above 4k because there is no need to, however when you are up into the boost, the turbo will help to keep the RPMs from dropping as fast = smoother shift (at least thats what i notice)

speedracer2169
09-16-2005, 11:16 AM

the evo is not a drag car, if used otherwise it will be more prone to break things. this includes fast shifting/speed shifting

1. the actual shifter (inside the car) clunks into some gears - thats normal, get a short shifter if you dont like it
2. a clunk in the drive line. thats not normal. if the car could speak english it would say "stop fucking doing that", but it just clunks. i have found that the car only does this when im ripping through the gears, basically drag racing. the cause of the problem (what i can tell) is like a RWD car will chirt its tires if the clutch is let out too quickly, ours tries that too; except with AWD there isnt enough power to do this. so all that energy isnt expelled into the tires/pavement, it is however sent back into the driveline (tc/diffs/tranny) and basically they take all this energy. not good. the car can be warm, hot, or cold and it will still clunk if the clutch isnt operated properly. people this isnt a honda

jnay: i can accelerate fast and shift before 4k, but if i try to shift fast it will clunk sometimes. in normal driving i dont really shift above 4k because there is no need to, however when you are up into the boost, the turbo will help to keep the RPMs from dropping as fast = smoother shift (at least thats what i notice)

:rally: very enlighting

lqdchkn
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM

the evo is not a drag car, if used otherwise it will be more prone to break things.* this includes fast shifting/speed shifting

2. a clunk in the drive line.* thats not normal.* if the car could speak english it would say "stop fucking doing that", but it just clunks.* i have found that the car only does this when im ripping through the gears, basically drag racing. the cause of the problem* (what i can tell) is like a RWD car will chirt its tires if the clutch is let out too quickly, ours tries that too; except with AWD there isnt enough power to do this.* so all that energy isnt expelled into the tires/pavement, it is however sent back into the driveline (tc/diffs/tranny) and basically they take all this energy.* not good.* the car can be warm, hot, or cold and it will still clunk if the clutch isnt operated properly.* people this isnt a honda

jnay:* i can accelerate fast and shift before 4k, but if i try to shift fast it will clunk sometimes.* in normal driving i dont really shift above 4k because there is no need to, however when you are up into the boost, the turbo will help to keep the RPMs from dropping as fast = smoother shift (at least thats what i notice)

Thanks for the insight. O0* This is what I had a tendancy to think it was.* I just wanted to be in denial about have had this happen.* :-\

jnay
09-16-2005, 01:35 PM

i guess shifting over 4 thousand rpm gives me more time before the rpms drop to change gears. this allows more time to shift to avoid speed shifting and the clunk.

thanks for the insight rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt
09-16-2005, 03:01 PM

i guess shifting over 4 thousand rpm gives me more time before the rpms drop to change gears. this allows more time to shift to avoid speed shifting and the clunk.

thanks for the insight rammsteinmatt

or you can start applying the gas before/as you let out the clutch to bring up the revs.

i honestly dont know how much experience you have with manual transmissions, but i though that was a basic concept that the gas and clutch need to be moved simultaneously (of course for all i know you could have been driving for longer than i have, which is probably very likely)

silvery_eagle
09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
or you can start applying the gas before/as you let out the clutch to bring up the revs.

that's what i said.. glad i'm right :)

jnay
09-16-2005, 05:00 PM
yea i realized as i was driving around today that as long as you shift smoothly and not abruptly its always fine.