PDA

View Full Version : Whats better than dry traction with Advans?{Answe is inside}

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 11:12 AM
WET traction with KDW's! Holy crap it was pouring last night and i didn't want to miss out on the fun so i went out in the dark and pouring rain and put my headlights and bumper back on my car. I took it out and DAMN these tires stuck like glue. I was swirving HARD at about 60 mph and couldnt lose traction at all. I floored it in first gear from a stop and still didn't lose traction. I took hard turns, same result. Then i pushed it really hard on turns and instead of just sliding and gliding it felt just like if it was losing traction on dry, it was rubbing, grip,slip,grip,slip. Amazing tires. If u guys want a set of all seasons with great grip all year round or just a nice set of winter tires, go with these.

BF Goodrich KDW'2 {NT}

GokuSSJ4
10-20-2004, 11:20 AM
i just hope you dont end up crashing your car for driving the way you are on the street :?

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
i just hope you dont end up crashing your car for driving the way you are on the street :?

jesus christ goku give it up already. No one's asking for a father figure here shit.

razorlab
10-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't call the KDW all-season. I would not advise using them in the snow since they are not designed for snow at all. They are great in the dry and wet though. (as you have found out)

KDWS is the true all-season tire in the BFGoodrich g-Force lineup.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't call the KDW all-season. I would not advise using them in the snow since they are not designed for snow at all. They are great in the dry and wet though. (as you have found out)

KDWS is the true all-season tire in the BFGoodrich g-Force lineup.

good point, i wasn't thinking about snow. Im goin up to the snow this weekend ill tell u guys how it goes.

Absinthe
10-20-2004, 12:05 PM
good luck in the snow dude that could get pretty ugly looking at your tread pattern.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 12:19 PM
good luck in the snow dude that could get pretty ugly looking at your tread pattern.

u think so? I'll bring my chains just in case. I don't plan to race around in the snow, ill drive really slowly. But with AWD its not really a problem driving uphill or anything. Always funny watching fwd or rwd cars get stuck in parking lots cuz they cant get up the ramp to the street. Does the tread pattern really look that bad for snow?

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Apparently the stock advans arnt made for snow at all either but i didnt have any trouble with them in the snow. I guess ill be just fine. Im basing this on the fact that i didnt really slide around last time and i parked in about 1 foot of snow and was able to drive out {uphill} with no problem at all. guess ill find out for sure this weekend.

Absinthe
10-20-2004, 12:31 PM
the only advantage I could see with the Advans over your current tires is that the tread patern had a lot more right angles and horizontal block which help to bite into the snow more effectively that the arrow shaped ones on your new tires.

Also if you went wider with the tires or you car got lighter then that will also decrese your traction. However unless there is going to be a large amount of ice or really deep snow you should be ok if you baby it.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 12:43 PM
wider tires = less snow traction? i guess cuz it cant cut through as easy. i think ill be fine though. Any requests for snow? Im gonna make another snow woman with big tits. im also thinking of making an STI hood scoop out of snow and put it on my hood.

Skiracer
10-20-2004, 12:46 PM
I plan on getting Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S for my trips to Mammoth and Big Bear for the winter. They are ultra high performance all seasons according to tirerack and they are rated for Mud & Snow (M+S) I think they also got the highest rating in its tireclass and i hear lots of east coast peeps use them.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
if ur gonna have a second set of tires just for snow u might as well get some snow tires. Getting high performance all season just for snow is stupid. Use ur high performance summer durring summer and get a tire thats just made for snow for winter. that way u have the best of both instead of a tire that "can handle" snow.

Skiracer
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm afraid to get striclty winter tires cuz most of the driving to the ski resorts from Socal are thru hot temperature areas that will kill the winter tread quickly and the tires will probably only last 1-2 winter seasons . Plus, the Pirelli's have a 400 treadware rating and have one of the highest rating for snow performance in its class. Check them out on tirerack.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm afraid to get striclty winter tires cuz most of the driving to the ski resorts from Socal are thru hot temperature areas that will kill the winter tread quickly and the tires will probably only last 1-2 winter seasons . Plus, the Pirelli's have a 400 treadware rating and have one of the highest rating for snow performance in its class. Check them out on tirerack.

just because they have high snow rating in their class doesnt mean they have high snow rating. If u look at the winter tires u can find some with very high dry weather grip. That doesnt mean a 9.9 rating for dry grip on a winter tire is equal a 9.9 on a summer tire. The grip on the pirellis in the summer actually sucks yet tire rack says they have 9.0+ rating Keep in mind those rating were not given by tire rack and they were not cross compared with other tires. Those numbers come from ratings that the buyer gave the tire. Therefore they dont mean shit. if some granma buys a set of crap tires but she feels they have good grip and gives them a 9.5 does that mean they are just as good as the advans A046? get my point?

Chris in SD
10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Just let him crash guys. We've already tried to convince him...

pangaroo
10-20-2004, 11:04 PM
skiracer_blah,

I have the pirelli m+s. Becareful, they are pretty far from the advans in terms of dry traction. They held up really nicely in the rain. No real chance to test them in the snow yet.

I agree with Evo-8, I'd just get true snow tires or just use chains rather than having less dry traction. Especially in Cali. 99% of the time its dry, the rest, Ill just use chains. If you do get them though, the treadwear is pretty awesome. 15-20K miles and they barely show any wear.

Evo-8
10-20-2004, 11:18 PM

maybe u guys have no idea how to controll ur cars in the rain, doesn't mean everyone else is clueless. I had hours of practice driving cars in the rain, making the car spin out on purpose and practicing 180, 360 and 540 degree turns. I have vids of most of it too. Don't be so quick to make judgments on people and or their driving.

kimletrim
10-20-2004, 11:31 PM
I'd agree, the KDW are pretty nice tires both in Dry and as I found out recently in the wet as well. No slip when taking off and grip is there on the corners. Concur

leaveit2bevo
10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
even better is my KD drift in the rain and massive grip when it dries up.

Skiracer
10-21-2004, 06:25 AM

u think so? I'll bring my chains just in case. I don't plan to race around in the snow, ill drive really slowly. But with AWD its not really a problem driving uphill or anything. Always funny watching fwd or rwd cars get stuck in parking lots cuz they cant get up the ramp to the street. Does the tread pattern really look that bad for snow?

What set of tires are you supposed to mount the chains on anyways? The front or rears?

Evo-8
10-21-2004, 09:18 PM

What set of tires are you supposed to mount the chains on anyways? The front or rears?

it doesnt matter. We have AWD so u can put them on either side. I figure front is probably best though for awd cuz it will help u steer.

Chris in SD
10-22-2004, 09:52 PM

maybe u guys have no idea how to controll ur cars in the rain, doesn't mean everyone else is clueless. I had hours of practice driving cars in the rain, making the car spin out on purpose and practicing 180, 360 and 540 degree turns. I have vids of most of it too. Don't be so quick to make judgments on people and or their driving.

Jeez, I guess you're right again. What the hell was Sir Isaac Newton thinking with that physics stuff??? :roll:

GokuSSJ4
10-22-2004, 09:53 PM
sometimes its better not to say anything at all

...... ............. .................... ..... . ..............

trinydex
11-15-2004, 05:08 PM
you have to worry about your tires staying heated in snow. also fwd cars have better tracgtion in wet and snow than rear wheel drive cars... so just imagine... awd just happens to be the best ever in the world woohoo.

drmosh
11-15-2004, 05:33 PM

Jeez, I guess you're right again. What the hell was Sir Isaac Newton thinking with that physics stuff??? :roll:

Yer arguing with a guy who can't do math or read... that's the whole problem...

Skiracer
11-15-2004, 05:51 PM
if ur gonna have a second set of tires just for snow u might as well get some snow tires. Getting high performance all season just for snow is stupid. Use ur high performance summer durring summer and get a tire thats just made for snow for winter. that way u have the best of both instead of a tire that "can handle" snow.

How about this for some winter traction:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album264/105_0551_IMG.sized.jpg

Chris in SD
11-15-2004, 06:11 PM

How about this for some winter traction:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album264/105_0551_IMG.sized.jpg

I had Yoko AVS Winters last year in VA. They were great... The point of this thread though is that 3-season tires (aka BFG KDW-2s) are as good or better than Advans year-round in Cali... :roll:

Skiracer
11-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Heh, all season tires are like a swiss army knife: Jack of all trades, master of none.