PDA

View Full Version : HKS SSQV BOV

Gear Grinder
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Does anyone have pics of the HKS bov installed with the bolt on kit? I'm installing mine tomarow. the only instructions I have are for welding.

DTunedEvoX
11-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Look @ how your stock blowoff is installed ... the HKS SSQV is installed the same way in the stock location ... =D Hope that helps ...

toku-one
11-10-2004, 07:24 PM
i think this will help
http://www.serioussolutions.com/evo/hks_ssqv.htm

G-UNIT
11-10-2004, 08:46 PM
i think this will help

this guy is an ass clown, first of all since he bought an evo kit it didn't need adjusting, & all he needed to do was buy the hks eids, to run it open atmosphere without any problems.

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Look @ how your stock blowoff is installed ... the HKS SSQV is installed the same way in the stock location ... =D Hope that helps ...
Yes that helps, thanks.

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 08:30 AM
i think this will help

this guy is an ass clown, first of all since he bought an evo kit it didn't need adjusting, & all he needed to do was buy the hks eids, to run it open atmosphere without any problems.
who's an ass clown?

DTunedEvoX
11-11-2004, 09:14 AM
I think he was reffering to the author of the website that conducted the install + test :o

I dont think he was reffering to you :wink:

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 09:48 AM
I think he was reffering to the author of the website that conducted the install + test :o

I dont think he was reffering to you :wink:
Oh. :D
But I might be, being that I still can't figure this out. The stock BOV has two inlets, the has only one? do I have to plug somthing?

DTunedEvoX
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Did you buy an EVO Specific HKS SSQV? Or is it the universal?

If your VTA you REMOVE the Stock BOV and put the new on in place of it .. You also need something to block the Intake Pipe (AKA Intake Pipe Plug)...

If you RECIRC you open the HKS SSQV BOV and replace the fin with the recirculation fitting ...

Hope that helps ...

toku-one
11-11-2004, 10:30 AM
i think this will help

hks STRONGLY recommends that the bov doesnt need any adjustments and they regret even putting the screw on as an option.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=88637&highlight=hks+bov

danny, you may not have the recirc kit or you may not have the c-clamp elbow . post a pic of all the parts.

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 12:19 PM

If your VTA you REMOVE the Stock BOV and put the new on in place of it .. You also need something to block the Intake Pipe (AKA Intake Pipe Plug)...

If you RECIRC you open the HKS SSQV BOV and replace the fin with the recirculation fitting ...

Hope that helps ...
I went to home depo and got an 1 1/4 copper pipe cap, stuck it in the lower hole, and tightened it down with a hose clamp. it's really tight so I dont think it will leak. Thanks a lot for your help. :D

DTunedEvoX
11-11-2004, 12:33 PM

Hope that helps ...
I went to home depo and got an 1 1/4 copper pipe cap, stuck it in the lower hole, and tightened it down with a hose clamp. it's really tight so I dont think it will leak. Thanks a lot for your help. :D

Okay so your VTA ... could we assume everything is installed and all is gravey?

toku-one
11-11-2004, 12:53 PM
be careful with the VTA. my car stalled when i took my foot off the gas coming up to an intersection. luckily for me the light turned green and i costed to safety.
if you are gonna keep it VTA you may want to get the hks eids that controls your idle after you let off the gas. however the car will still run rich (even though i think you can take care of that with the SAFC you are after)

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 02:28 PM

Hope that helps ...

Okay so your VTA ... could we assume everything is installed and all is gravey?
yes gravey, works like a champ, sort of. It seems to me that the BOV is too close to the heat shielding of the exhaust manafold. could this cause damage? it's in the stock location with nothing holding it except the hose going to the IC pipe.

toku-one
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
that shouldnt create any issues. after all the air coming out of it is just venting so its not like it matters if it gets heated.

BOVBILLY
11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
i think this will help

Why must you insult people?

nine4surfah
11-11-2004, 02:43 PM
this question is slightly off subject. Does anyone have the hks eids? Does it really work?

BOVBILLY
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
I agree, but I hate it when people try to act like they know everything!

I am done!

DTunedEvoX
11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
this question is slightly off subject. Does anyone have the hks eids? Does it really work?

After having an HKS SSQV VTA w/ no issues I wouldnt even bother with the HKS EIDS ... Seems people just to lazy to tune the BOV if they run into any issues =T But again - thats just my opinion ... =D

toku-one
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
it works differently on every car (as it should)
the eids just "slows down" the throttle which keeps it from running into stalls, but many people still experience idle dip

i have idle dip on occasion in my car with the MR dv.

G-UNIT
11-11-2004, 06:10 PM
i think this will help

hks STRONGLY recommends that the bov doesnt need any adjustments and they regret even putting the screw on as an option.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=88637&highlight=hks+bov

danny, you may not have the recirc kit or you may not have the c-clamp elbow . post a pic of all the parts.

uh, that's what i said.

G-UNIT
11-11-2004, 06:13 PM

yes it does work. it intercepts the maf signal before it gets to the ecu. then it manipulates it & sends the correct signal to the ecu, in relation to your tps.

nine4surfah
11-11-2004, 06:29 PM

After having an HKS SSQV VTA w/ no issues I wouldnt even bother with the HKS EIDS ... Seems people just to lazy to tune the BOV if they run into any issues =T But again - thats just my opinion ... =D

There are a number of evo owners in the EVOM forums that have stalling problems and idle problems w/hks ssqv bov especially vta'd. You must be one of the selected few that have not had problems :P . There is also a thread floating around in the EVOM forum from HKS stating that the ssqv does not need any adjusting.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=88637&highlight=hks+ssqv

G-UNIT
11-11-2004, 06:37 PM
this is the same problem with any karmen vortex system.
from dsm's to evo's, it's impossible to vent to atmosphere, without some sort of electronics trickery (vpc, eids) etc...

Gear Grinder
11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
I took the car out today for a long drive, and everything worked great. Thanks to everyone for the help.
next is the SAFC :shock:

ultraflip
12-26-2004, 07:54 PM
bringing this post back from the dead... i installed this BOV on my car... and now it flutters like crazy!!! (or is it compressor surge?) =(.... anyone have any advise as to what could cause this on an SSQV??? thanks!

-flip

Blaze
12-26-2004, 08:33 PM
If the fluttering occurs when you shift, it's compressor surge and your tension settings are too tight.

If the flutter/stumble/engine buck occurs when your holding boost at low throttle (ie fethering the throttle on the freeway), then it's from a partial release from the BOV and your MAF is jacking up your fuel curve from the unregistered air escaping. You can try tightening the hell out of the tensioner, but that may or may not be a resolution.

The HKS SS (recirc'd or not) is not for our cars. And you should not plan on stable drivability if you still have and MAF. The EIDs may help, but I'd suggest parting with HKS and going with GReddy.

I have an RS and S if you'd like to work a parial trade.

Blaze