PDA

View Full Version : RRE's RTAB and Swaybar set up

MyGlue
11-15-2004, 11:25 PM
I read somewhere that RRE has a sway bar and RTAB setup that will improve stock feel. The reason i bring this up is because i need an alignment and am wondering if i should go ahead and do this mod as well. Looking for anyone with experience with this set up. Also, maybe an explanation of how this mod does what it does.

Thanks,
Mike

trannb
11-15-2004, 11:31 PM
The RRE/Mueller Rear Sway Bar/Trailing Arm Bushing/Alignment is a very good mod and should probably be among the first mods of any evo. Sway Bar makes the rear end have less body roll, stiffer bushings have less play than the stock ones (and less of a spring effect) and give you a more predictable slide, alignment gives you more grip on the front end.

This setup has a very noticible effect on handling and will make your car very neutral...for better or for worse.

MyGlue
11-15-2004, 11:33 PM
What sway bar is he using?

trannb
11-15-2004, 11:34 PM
It's just a 25mm rear bar that has 3 adjustment points. I don't know who the manufacturer is.

GokuSSJ4
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
here is all the info you need
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evoswaybar.htm

RRE EVO 8* Rear Sway Bar************ $180

The stock EVO rear sway bar is 22mm diameter, the RRE rear bar is 25mm diameter. It includes new brackets and urethane bushings. You will re-use the stock end links, they are a ball joint type. The holes in the ends of the bar give three adjustment positions for fine tuning your handling.*

This rear sway will make your car handle better by making it more "neutral". Stock, the factory gives you a car that "understeers" some. When you have the car all leaned over at the limits of adhesion, the front tires have a little less grip. The front end "pushes" some and does not turn enough. From instinct, you let off the gas because the car is not turning enough. This makes the weight transfer to the front of the car. The front end gets a little more grip and the rear a little less, your car rotates and you make the corner fine. All is good.*

All is good except this is not the fast way to drive, having to let of the gas to make the car turn. It would be much faster around a corner if you could keep a nice steady throttle through the corner, gradually feeding in more throttle as you pass the apex and straighten out. The car would drift all four wheels evenly. Nice small inputs from the throttle transfer weight to the front or rear depending on where you want the car to be. A little more gas transfers the weight to the rear and the car goes wide, let off slightly and it sharpens up the corner.* This is a neutral handling car. By installing a thicker rear sway bar (and leaving the front bar stock) you will make the car more neutral.

The down side, you need to be careful of what you wish for. If your car is nice and neutral, when you chop off the throttle suddenly the car can kick the tail out. The* rear bar is made with a street car in mind. It is not a crazy stiff bar, it is even adjustable. There are three adjustment positions. It will make the car more neutral though and you need to keep this in mind.* If you add a front bar, the car will corner flatter and give you a false sense of better handling. Also the bigger front bar will lift the inside front* tire when cornering hard. This will give you less traction just when you need it most. We do not offer a front sway bar.

for any more information or appointments email [email protected]

jondukes
11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
now getting appt is another story

GokuSSJ4
11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
accordinly to RRE site the rear sway bars are on back order :?

jondukes
11-16-2004, 07:05 PM
my reurn calls/emails have been on backorder too

gofaster87
11-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Well you can put the sway bar and bushings in yourself, its easy just have to get a hold of the parts. As far as alignment goes its easy to experiment with camber yourself. Toe can be done with a few simple measuring tools.

trannb
11-17-2004, 11:57 AM
accordinly to RRE site the rear sway bars are on back order :?

Refresh your page. Mine says 18 in stock.

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
where they explain all the information how the rear sway bar works and affects the evo .

RRE EVO 8* Rear Sway Bar************ $180 (Back Order)

yet on this page it says that they have 18 available

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm

Takashi
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Well you can put the sway bar and bushings in yourself, its easy just have to get a hold of the parts. As far as alignment goes its easy to experiment with camber yourself. Toe can be done with a few simple measuring tools.

or a mallet.

Knower
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
my reurn calls/emails have been on backorder too

JONDUUUUUUUUUUUUKES!

Sorry, had to :)

John is very busy normally, and even busier at the moment. It is worth the wait.

gofaster87
11-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Yea we understand that he is busy but its not very hard to set a 1/2 hour each day to respond to your customers.

Mike W
11-19-2004, 07:58 PM
We got the bars in yesterday afternoon.

I'll tell John he sucks for you. Some days he fixes cars. Some days he plays on the computer all day.

Mike W

Mike W
11-19-2004, 08:01 PM
And what is an RTAB? Darn kids and they acronyms anyways...

Mike W

gofaster87
11-19-2004, 08:02 PM
I think they are referring to the rear trailing arm bushings.

trannb
11-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

Mike W
11-19-2004, 08:07 PM
OK, IGIN. TFTC

Mike W
:-P

GokuSSJ4
11-19-2004, 09:13 PM
your not the only one Mike.

Muellerized...
11-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Yea we understand that he is busy but its not very hard to set a 1/2 hour each day to respond to your customers.

There is a long line of people who have requested my time, and I am returning calls etc in the order they were received. There is not an extra half hour in my schedule, as I am helping Mitsubishi Motors America with their suspension development, just set up a new dedicated race car shop across the street, and dialing in customer EVOs daily.(still at the shop right now setting up JICs for an out of town customer) The people who continue to be patient with the demands of my schedule will be satisfied, the people who think I am not responsive enough will not.

While you are waiting for me to call you back, you could spend the time reading the latest issues of Sport Compact Car, where my patient customers had their cars finish first and fourth in the USCC road course event.

ultraflip
11-19-2004, 11:31 PM
when adding the rear sway bar, is it required to get an alignment?

nijikon5
11-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I was hoping to get on John's good side so he'll maybe bump up my appointment when i'm ready for suspension work.. Here you go John

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album125/bevoowned.jpg

We all know how Bevo torments you, I promise if you bump up my appointment.. Bevo will get tormented like this and often!

ultraflip
11-19-2004, 11:47 PM
hahahaha

BlueDV
11-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Nice pic....but what about the bars?

ultraflip
11-19-2004, 11:55 PM
the bars?

BlueDV
11-20-2004, 12:10 AM
The Sway kind...silly!

ultraflip
11-20-2004, 12:10 AM
check out road races engineering's website

BlueDV
11-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Post thier website please

ultraflip
11-20-2004, 12:14 AM
here is all the info you need

there's the info you need blueDV

BlueDV
11-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Super thanks
But your could have PM'd me

gofaster87
11-20-2004, 02:17 AM

There is a long line of people who have requested my time, and I am returning calls etc in the order they were received. There is not an extra half hour in my schedule, as I am helping Mitsubishi Motors America with their suspension development, just set up a new dedicated race car shop across the street, and dialing in customer EVOs daily.(still at the shop right now setting up JICs for an out of town customer) The people who continue to be patient with the demands of my schedule will be satisfied, the people who think I am not responsive enough will not.

While you are waiting for me to call you back, you could spend the time reading the latest issues of Sport Compact Car, where my patient customers had their cars finish first and fourth in the USCC road course event.

Im not trying to give you a hard time John and Im not on the appointment list. I was just noticing that a few people havent heard back from you. I do know that you are busy and the work you do is well worth it. Just a quick response to some of those waiting would a least reassure them that you are not ignoring them. Keep up the good work. Im a decent mechanic, If you need some help with the grunt work let me know Im always free a couple days a week.

trannb
11-20-2004, 04:29 AM
when adding the rear sway bar, is it required to get an alignment?

No, but why wouldn't you get the alignment?

GokuSSJ4
11-20-2004, 12:25 PM

Im not trying to give you a hard time John and Im not on the appointment list. I was just noticing that a few people havent heard back from you. I do know that you are busy and the work you do is well worth it. Just a quick response to some of those waiting would a least reassure them that you are not ignoring them. Keep up the good work. Im a decent mechanic, If you need some help with the grunt work let me know Im always free a couple days a week.

now i know why i was so lucky to get my set up at the time that i did, John has been busy with Kent and him racing and setting up his car as well as other things. I was lucky enough to make an appointment in time.
Its well worth the wait, after you compare stock set up vs John's alignment and rear sway bar (difference is night and day) and of course JIC's Muellerize diiference is still night and day well worth the wait.

drmosh
11-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I will tell you guys a secret... if you want to get an appointment faster with John, just threaten him with a case of Corona.

:wink:

Senshi
11-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I was hoping to get on John's good side so he'll maybe bump up my appointment when i'm ready for suspension work.. Here you go John
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album125/bevoowned.jpg

We all know how Bevo torments you, I promise if you bump up my appointment.. Bevo will get tormented like this and often!

dammit kanrf i took that pic. bump me up the list :lol:

GokuSSJ4
11-20-2004, 04:05 PM
[soup nazi voice]NO ALIGNMENT FOR YOU!!![/soup nazi voice]

turbrodude
11-21-2004, 01:29 AM
You dopes - its not Corona... its Captain Morgan and a 2L Diet Coke.

And for those torturing poor Bevo - what if John is friends with Bevo? No soup for you!!!! Back of the line!!

drmosh
11-21-2004, 02:26 AM

And for those torturing poor Bevo - what if John is friends with Bevo? No soup for you!!!! Back of the line!!

Does that mean we'll start seeing John + Bevo pics?

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2004, 11:41 AM

Does that mean we'll start seeing John + Bevo pics?

ROFL that will be very interesting, John has to comment on that :lol: