PDA

View Full Version : clutch driving poll

leaveit2bevo
11-19-2004, 10:51 AM
How do you guys push down and release your clutch? Ive tried both putting my heal on the ground and sliding it up my foot with the ankle and just stright up not touching anything but using my leg to do it. Whats the better method or is it just preference?

Chris in SD
11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I put my foot on it, left leg off, etc. I've found that if you clutch with your ankle, you often rest your foot on the clutch pedal, which really wears it down.

8-AGAIN
11-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I use my ankle.....

Thats why I have a hole in my floor mat from the heel of my shoe....

My ankle is more precise then my whole leg so it works well for me.....

Chris in SD
11-19-2004, 11:45 AM
I use my ankle.....

Thats why I have a hole in my floor mat from the heel of my shoe....

My ankle is more precise then my whole leg so it works well for me.....

I use the ankle to pivot on the throttle and brake, but for the clutch, it's just an on/off thing. I think people take too long letting out their clutches - might be part of the reasons so many Evo drivers (and newer manual drivers) have worn clutches. I burned a few up in my old Cobra.

DTunedEvoX
11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Actually it varies for me depending on what I need to do ... I cant really say I do once because I alternate really ... *shrug* No clutch problems on any of my cars so far... No my EVO ...

leaveit2bevo
11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Actually it varies for me depending on what I need to do ... I cant really say I do once because I alternate really ... *shrug* No clutch problems on any of my cars so far... No my EVO ...

ya same here, I use my ankle to get it off from a stop and im still experimenting with shifting, but im faster using my leg for heal toe downshifts.

8-AGAIN
11-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Its just easier for me to hit that engagement point while shifting with the travel of my ankle instead of my whole leg.....

Im in/out or on/off when it comes to the clutch so I dont think using your ankle should affect that part of the process.....

I think seating position has somthing to do with it tho....And where you clutch engages will play a role...(mine engages close to the floor)when I drove a freinds evo my shifts were off because his clutch engaged near the top(better to use your leg).....So it varies from person to person/car to car......

I sit up close to the wheel in the my evo so its more comfortable to just lift my foot.....

Its all preference tho....if you do one or the other long enough and you do it right its all the same......

trannb
11-19-2004, 12:45 PM
I use both?

apexstrafer
11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
can't vote, I use both depending on the situation.

Absinthe
11-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Not that this really applies to or type of driving but I went to a couple of 4WD and rock crawling schools with my jeep and they always taught us to use your leg with a locked ankle to shift becuase even though it takes more time to learn this you will be able to feather the clutch more effectlively and not risk it either fully hooking up or disengaging when you dont expect it to.

go4broke
11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
i did the whole leg thing when i had my type r cuz it felt just "right" but with my evo i find myself using my ankle for some reason...i dont like it cuz it feels like i'm gonna make a hole in my floor mat and i find myself having to readjust my foot on the clutch a lot...maybe it's the size of the stock pedal in my case...i had mugen pedals on my r and it was perfect...anyone out there using ralliart pedals? i might get those....

apexstrafer
11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I want the ralliart pedals too, they look like they're the perfect size. DAMMIT... that's what I should've used my autobacs discount on at the meet!

Ryukyu
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
i did the whole leg thing when i had my type r cuz it felt just "right" but with my evo i find myself using my ankle for some reason...i dont like it cuz it feels like i'm gonna make a hole in my floor mat and i find myself having to readjust my foot on the clutch a lot...maybe it's the size of the stock pedal in my case...i had mugen pedals on my r and it was perfect...anyone out there using ralliart pedals? i might get those....

I have the ralliart pedals, they are stickier than sap thanks to the grip tape on them. I do the whole leg thing with the seat scooted close. I hate driving with thick soled shoes, you get absolutely no feel. I just bought the new Oakley racing shoes, the 1320's! Check them out on oakley.com. They are pretty tight and more rare than than the pumas or adidas goodyears.

Knower
11-19-2004, 05:36 PM
I use both?

Same. Why the hell would you use your leg without any ankle movement is beyond me. Are your ankles weak?

Chris in SD
11-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Not that this really applies to or type of driving but I went to a couple of 4WD and rock crawling schools with my jeep and they always taught us to use your leg with a locked ankle to shift becuase even though it takes more time to learn this you will be able to feather the clutch more effectlively and not risk it either fully hooking up or disengaging when you dont expect it to.

As Keiichi Tsuchiya says, "Jaga Jang!!"

go4broke
11-19-2004, 08:01 PM
I want the ralliart pedals too, they look like they're the perfect size. DAMMIT... that's what I should've used my autobacs discount on at the meet!

do they sell ralliart pedals at autobacs? i've been too lazy to order them online...plus adding some more break-in miles wouldnt be so bad....

santhology
11-21-2004, 01:02 PM
i just use my leg and sometimes keep my ankle down but i always move it to the side, dont want to keep your foot on the clutch!

apexstrafer
11-21-2004, 02:20 PM

do they sell ralliart pedals at autobacs? i've been too lazy to order them online...plus adding some more break-in miles wouldnt be so bad....

yep, I think they're in the aisle where the guages are.

EVOcrazy
02-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I use the ankle to pivot on the throttle and brake, but for the clutch, it's just an on/off thing. ...
Same here.

EVOcrazy
02-05-2005, 09:14 PM
I have the ralliart pedals, they are stickier than sap thanks to the grip tape on them. I do the whole leg thing with the seat scooted close. I hate driving with thick soled shoes, you get absolutely no feel. I just bought the new Oakley racing shoes, the 1320's! Check them out on oakley.com. They are pretty tight and more rare than than the pumas or adidas goodyears.
Yep, I hate thick soled shoes too. Those 1320's look pretty sweet but I went ghetto and got me a pair of old school low top Chucks. :wink: Less than 1/2 the price of those purpose built shoes but dang they hurt when I do a lot walking in them (like at JGTC). I need to remember to bring a change of shoes next time.

rammsteinmatt
02-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Yep, I hate thick soled shoes too. Those 1320's look pretty sweet but I went ghetto and got me a pair of old school low top Chucks. :wink: Less than 1/2 the price of those purpose built shoes but dang they hurt when I do a lot walking in them (like at JGTC). I need to remember to bring a change of shoes next time.

i walked around at D1GP in hightops, man my feet were killing me while standing in line before the gates opened, naturally i had an infield pass=more standing all day long. i like my old schools for driving, tried in some heavy boots like hiking boots and such but those were uber ghey