PDA

View Full Version : Avon M500 125 mile review

WOT
11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Got the Avon M500's on with 125 miles on the tires. Initial impression after alignment by RRE.

Grip- Not very far behind the advan on city streets as I was expecting. When the tires are very cold, the M500's are better. Once warm, obviously the advans are better, but not as much as I was expecting, which makes me happier.

ride- The ride is softer, with that, I can feel the car progressing through it's weight transfer. Doesnt feel like a crown victoria or anything, I just now feel some roll. However, the tire shop did comment how stiff the sidewall was. They said the m500 sidewall was definately stiffer than a RE750 or ES100. The car isnt as harsh over all the imperfections in the road as well. Take that for what its worth.

noise- Definately a lot quieter. I didnt realize how annoying the advans were in this category, regardless of speed.

Steering response- Yeah, it's not like the advan, but not that far off, pleasantly suprised actually. Besides, if I have a pedestrian jump out in front of my car, I plan to run them over anyway.

All in all, I am happy with the new tires so far. I dont plan on tracking the car, so they suit my purpose just fine.

Chris in SD
11-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the review. It's good to know there are some low-cost options out there.

DrMerl
12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Where can we get these in San Diego?

I'm almost up on my 245/40 Yok ES100s. So far about 17K miles on them (got 15K on stockers, mainly highway) should squeeze another 4-5K out of them. Lost steering response with them vs stock, still have more than enough grip for street, they squeal like pigs, running about 33ft/30rr is not bad, pumped up to 36/33 they get a little flighty, but gained response. I'm getting lots more road noise with maybe an 1/8th above wear bar (I'm bad and have only rotated twice - an Evo loves the fronts...). They did well in the recent rain that SD had (running 65-85), not as floaty as stock when low (I did something stupid with the stockers running at 80-100 in HEAVY rain and started to slide the rear out at 90, took me about half a lane and feathered throttle to clean things up then coast back down, VIVA AWD! (had to change underwear)). They do fine with 150 sweepers =). Thing I HATE about them is no rim protectors! I've f'd up all my rims with curb rash (I suck at parking this Evo, hard to read lines) - need newbie-parker-protection =)

Anyone try Sumitomos?

alex_alex
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
i didn't know Avon sells tires. Sweet.

leaveit2bevo
12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
so when that lady comes to my house to sell me avon make up I can get tires to!

alex_alex
12-07-2004, 10:20 PM

do they even have Avon ladies anymore?

Pops
12-07-2004, 11:14 PM

They sure do Alex. Looks like they've got a job opening in Pasadena too;

http://www.avoncareers.com/

Division Sales Manager - West
Step up to the potential of an exceptional income package by meeting sales targets for a $20 million plus business. In this challenging position, you will take responsibility for the success of up to 6,000 :crazyeyes: independent Sales Representatives with an average of 20 professionals reporting directly to you.

Tire's and Make-up. Hmmmmmmmmmmm 8)

alex_alex
12-07-2004, 11:21 PM

They sure do Alex. Looks like they've got a job opening in Pasadena too;

http://www.avoncareers.com/

Division Sales Manager - West
Step up to the potential of an exceptional income package by meeting sales targets for a $20 million plus business. In this challenging position, you will take responsibility for the success of up to 6,000 :crazyeyes: independent Sales Representatives with an average of 20 professionals reporting directly to you.

Tire's and Make-up. Hmmmmmmmmmmm 8)

I'm all over that one, its mine bitches. Im dropping out of law school tomorrow and heading on over to Pasadena. If you see an evo at the track with a big-ass avon decal, that'll be me.

You better stay away from me or i'll make you buy something

WOT
12-08-2004, 11:06 AM

I got a free gallon of nail polish remover when I bought my tires :lol:

Where can we get these in San Diego?

Actually tirerack is the only authorized dealer, but I got mine through americas tire, $536 OTD. See if a shop down there will do the same for you.

The Avons seem very good in the rain, especially when the tires are cold when compared to the advans.

The tirerack test study rated the m500's really good in the rain too. Not a major concern of mine, being that we live in so. ca., but you never know.... I remember the rains in the erly 90's in norht county,.....it can rain in so. ca.