PDA

View Full Version : Evo in the Snow

Ralliartpnoi
12-16-2004, 07:44 AM
ok...so u guys are saying i cant go play in the snow with my advan a-046's? i always thought those videos with ppl'z evos in the snow, were running on their stock tires

Skiracer
12-16-2004, 08:34 AM
You can play, but you won't have much traction. The rubber compound in summer tires will not have any traction in cold temperatures. So, if you find yourself in cold temperatures, be aware that you will not have as much traction as if you were in warmer weather. Plus, the tread design on summer tires are not ideal for snow.

nine4surfah
12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
so on an awd such as ours which set of tire do you install the chains on? The two up front or the rear?

Skiracer
12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Well, from what i've read on the msg boards, everyone recommends avoid putting chains on the car. That is why i decided to get dedicated winter tires should road restriction R2 as above is in place. However, if you need to use chains, it looks like it will only work in the front because the rear looks like you might have clearance issues. I have test drove my car with the chains on the front and had no clearance issues.

Chris in SD
12-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Try to find Yokohama AVS Winters. I ran these last winter in VA (lots o snow) and they were great. Stock size, etc.

They were about $170 each.

Allow myself to introduce.... uh myself.

genax
01-09-2005, 12:16 PM
maybe for next year a gb can be put up prior to winter. preferably in the summertime when i believe they will be the cheapest. i live in wa st and had no problems driving on black iced and snowy conditions with stock tires. though i am sort of used to driving in snow

Macky
01-09-2005, 02:02 PM
so on an awd such as ours which set of tire do you install the chains on? The two up front or the rear?

rear only is what i know

Skiracer
01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Woo, drove up to Mountain High Saturday and i drove by everyone installing chains cuz i don't need them since i have snow tires. Anyways, on the drive home, the main roads in the area were all plowed, so i went to some side streets in the mountains and my Evo is truly amazing. I could climb up almost any snow covered street with no/minimal slipping! That was so much fun! Plus, on the way home, i found a dirt trail to drive down which parallels some train tracks. I drove down this muddy trail for about 3 miles before i turned around. I think i had more fun driving my Evo in the snow than i had skiing at Mountain High

grico42
01-10-2005, 10:47 AM
hehe ya had to put on chains when i went up last tuesday (i didnt drive) saw a lot of scubies up there playing with their snow tires. Made me long for my evo and its AWD goodness. Cant afford winter tires this year, since i need to buy new street tires right now. stupid advans are probably only going to last me 20,000-23,000 miles. Dont want to risk it though so i am looking for new tires especially since its been raining so much here. Potenza's went on sale today going to go to costco after work and see if they cant order my tires.

On another note how is Mtn. High this season? I always go to Bear Mtn. since i used to have a Season pass there will the jacked up the price twice. I have only been to Mtn. high 2 or 3 times. Let me know next time you are going up maybe we could meet up in the snow goodness.

Skiracer
01-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Mtn High is smaller not as good as Bear Mountain. Only reason why i went to Mtn High is cuz i got discount passes early in the season ($28/day) and i'm cheap like that :D

It was funny that i drove past everyone installing chains, that was priceless. I even saw a Hummer putting chains on his truck and i just had to laugh. The chain checkpoint is only about .25 miles away from the main entrance of Mtn High and i spoke with someone on the lift and they said they've gone to Mtn High for several years and they never put chains on and nobody ever checks.