PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Hotchkis springs

Takashi
12-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Well, I finally got around to installing a set of Hotchkis springs on the ole' Evo this past weekend. First of all, working on the car is a breeze... I have limited experience doing so, but with an extra hand and some air tools, it was really trouble free. I was especially impressed with the rear suspension design. A bit intricate, when compared to my old Subarus, but really slick. Plus, there's a ton of AL back there! :)

Anyhow, the springs are decent. Honestly, it's hard for me to say if they are a performance improvement or not. As should be expected, body roll was reduced. Plus turn-in and steering crispness did not diminish, as I have read other springs have done. Plus, the car looks more aggresive. It is definately a bit bouncier, and I'm already missing the extra travel, but for now the trade off is worth it.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the springs, and for $125 shipped and a bit of elbow grease, it's definately worth it! Next on the bill: installation of the adjustable rear bar, and an alignment.

greg

kimletrim
12-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Interesting. Keep us updated as to how the springs wear on you for daily driving and track driving (if applicable). I am expecting these springs soon. I heard good reviews about them, but you are the first to say they are bouncier. Others have described them as a tauter suspension. I suppose I will have to wait for mine to come in and feel the results.

bogey8
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Are u still running with the stock Advans?

I want to get those springs but if they are too bouncy it wouldn't be good for my 100 mi a day commute.

I'm running Azenis ST-115 and they are a lot better on the fwy than the Advans and I'm hoping adding those springs won't make that much difference.

Let us know about the sway bar also, I may get that too.

Takashi
12-09-2004, 12:23 PM
For me, they're negligently bouncier, if that makes any sense. Although I do feel a difference, I dont think that they make the ride unbearable to any extent (even for a long commute).

I'll give you guys a end of week review this weekend.

Thanks.

augi1
12-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Do you like these better than the eibach that I think you had B4??

PS. hey! where you been joe ?

Takashi
12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
sorry dood, i never had eibachs. i was looking into getting some, and had a bunch of questions about them back in the day, so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

anyhow, i'm usually pretty busy, but if anyone would like to check them out, get a ride and whatnot, just drop me a pm and perhaps we can meet up.

Takashi
12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Let us know about the sway bar also, I may get that too.

oh, and i've only read good things about the swaybar (as long as you install it correctly ;)), and at the price that you can get it for, it's hard to beat. i was also heavily considering the rre one, but i got a sweet package deal from a vendor on evom for the hotchkis stuff, and couldn't pass it up. from initial inspection, the quality looks top notch on the swaybar though... i'll letcha know.

Takashi
12-15-2004, 01:10 AM
okay, so after a week, i must say that these are some great springs. for a daily driver the ride is perfect. nice and firm (yes a bit bouncy, but only FRACTIONALLY more bouncy than stock), and i haven't really had any clearance problems (knock on wood).

i really haven't pushed them too hard, but body role appears to be less. however, tonight as i was exiting the freeway and making a wide left turn (spirited), i did notice that the car seemed to still understeer, which i expected. i'm hoping that the sway bar will eleviate that.

kimletrim
12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Did you get the car aligned yet? I just did the install and noticed understeer as well.

Takashi
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
no, no alignment yet... hopefully this weekend though.