PDA

View Full Version : brake pad dust??

jondukes
12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
anyone know of a product or procedure that will remove black sh*t off my rims, after running race pads for two weeks their caked with grime that wont come off,i run street pads usually but had two track days two weeks in a row and left my hawk blues in their,this stuff is cooked on any suggestions?i like my car to be cleanly and this is really bothering me,thanks Jon

leaveit2bevo
12-16-2004, 12:05 AM
lol welcome to the club :)

leaveit2bevo
12-16-2004, 12:11 AM
ive seriously tried like 4-5 different products on it, you need to use a really stiff brush and it kind of gets it off. Im thinking a power washer is the best way to go.

Timujin
12-16-2004, 12:27 AM
A brush is a must. I use two with Honda brite brand cleaner made by S100.

wirespeed
12-16-2004, 01:15 AM
steam cleaner

ovenmit331
12-16-2004, 09:38 AM
DUMB thought I just had, but if you waxed your wheels would that help any? bviously you'd need to wax clean wheels, so that doesn't help in the present case, but would it help in cleaning in the future? Can you even wax wheels? is that even allowed?

Absinthe
12-16-2004, 09:50 AM
waxing you wheels actually really helps most brake dust will come off with a hose then.

Skiracer
05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow, i just found out a super easy way to remove brake dust.
Spray some Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe onto your wheels and just wipe off and no brake dust! No brush needed and didn't even have to wash the wheels beforehand. I didn't even have to apply heavy pressure to my rims while i was wiping, it just lifted off with ease like wiping dust off of your desk! I'm not sure if it'll removed caked on dust, but for everyday cleaning, it rocks!
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=Quik-Detailer&sku=A-33

leaveit2bevo
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
lol that wont get the shit thats on my wheels off.

egui42
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
lol that wont get the shit thats on my wheels off.

Your just screwed then!

DTunedEvoX
05-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I think that when you invest in a good set of stockers LOL ... for daily driving use lol

hawaiiboy
05-11-2005, 07:37 PM
go to a detail shop and ask if they have an acid based solution. i worked at a car dealership in highschool washing cars and we used a product called acid. we got it from acs chemicals in Hawaii (im from hawaii) and that will remove anything from your car, even water spots for those with black cars. the only catch is you have to wear gloves, a mask and have a hose ready to dose the car because it will eat up the clear coat if you dont rinse fast. make sure you wax your rims after to help protect it. im sure you can find someone in cali that makes the same thing or similar. hope that helps.

alex_alex
05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
. . . and we used a product called acid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: i love it

leaveit2bevo
05-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that when you invest in a good set of stockers LOL ... for daily driving use lol

already did that lol

hawaiiboy
05-11-2005, 09:40 PM
yes it was called acid smart ass...you must surf the forum just to come up with your clever little remarks. good job buddy. just try it and see if it works or hopefully you find something to clean your rims

ovenmit331
05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
bevo, i still wanna see the wheels. i've heard they were grotesquely dirty, but just how dirty is the question.

hawaiiboy, thanks for the info. and i'm pretty sure bevo doesn't care too much about getting his wheels clean.

Skiracer
05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
You think his wheels are bad? You should've seen his intake...

ovenmit331
05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
why is that? chock full of nut juice or somethin?

leaveit2bevo
05-12-2005, 01:05 PM
lol my dirty wheels are track wheels now so ill take a pic after friday, as for the intake I didnt realize the air was that dirty :P

earlyapex
05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
waxing you wheels actually really helps most brake dust will come off with a hose then.

Waxing your wheels will do nothing if you track your car. The wax melts off because of the heat.

Try not to run Hawk Blues on the streets. The dust is REALLY nasty shiat as you have learned. Be glad it isn't on your car paint.

Be VERY careful of Hawk Blue dust when it gets wet. It's like cement afterwards and will actually embed itself in your car paint.

Honestly if you run hawk blues, I would strongly suggest to run a dedicated set of track wheels.

GokuSSJ4
05-12-2005, 01:13 PM
lol my dirty wheels are track wheels now so ill take a pic after friday, as for the intake I didnt realize the air was that dirty :P

did you paint the wheels already ???
i hope you did

leaveit2bevo
05-12-2005, 01:35 PM
nope no money for the neon pink paint job maybe next time.

Absinthe
05-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Waxing your wheels will do nothing if you track your car. The wax melts off because of the heat.

Try not to run Hawk Blues on the streets. The dust is REALLY nasty shiat as you have learned. Be glad it isn't on your car paint.

Be VERY careful of Hawk Blue dust when it gets wet. It's like cement afterwards and will actually embed itself in your car paint.

Honestly if you run hawk blues, I would strongly suggest to run a dedicated set of track wheels.

well since I have never actually been to the track, run race pads, or waxed my wheels. I can tell you that this definately wont work, and didn't on the WRX I didnt have, that didnt go to the track, and that didn't run race pads all day everyday.

earlyapex
05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
well since I have never actually been to the track, run race pads, or waxed my wheels. I can tell you that this definately wont work, and didn't on the WRX I didnt have, that didnt go to the track, and that didn't run race pads all day everyday.

Maybe try braking harder?

Wax didn't work for me.

Absinthe
05-12-2005, 02:24 PM

Maybe try braking harder?

Wax didn't work for me.

yeah I figured it was different driving styles, it could also be the pads...just felt like being a dick head about it though.

Howie
05-13-2005, 11:35 AM
$400 bucks for an almost new set of stock wheels!! hehe.. PM ME!

evolved
05-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Just a thought for you guys.
Have you tried spraying WD-40 on your wheels.
Its pretty much guarenteed not to damage your wheel and it will soak into the dust and help bring it out.

BTW I know I shouldnt need to mention this but I will for some of the non mechanically inclined.

DO NOT SPRAY WD-40 ON YOUR ROTOR OR CALIPER