PDA

View Full Version : What Do you think Of these Rims??

Hockeychamp
12-25-2004, 01:47 PM
I have a realy red evo, What do you guys think of these rims?? quality etc? They are Rotas! not too familiar with them! thanks!

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/rt1780Boost510048Bronze_01.jpg[/url]
http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/rt1780Boost510048Bronze_02.jpg

kimletrim
12-25-2004, 01:50 PM
They look pretty nice...along the lines of some other rims which I can't rember the names of at the moment. But I must say the bronze tone is quite unique. They look light and I believe the Rotas are actually light. Not total hotness but still looks good.

GokuSSJ4
12-25-2004, 01:54 PM
looks great, love the color.
who makes them ? and how much do they go for ??

Hockeychamp
12-25-2004, 02:11 PM
They are Rota, don't know the weight
Wheel Diameter (inches) 17"
Wheel Width (inches) 8"
Offset 35mm
PCD (bolt pattern) 5x114.3
Color Bronze

they are on Ebay, $465 starting bid, they have a reserve, dont know what that is either, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience, and or opinions on them!

j_nizzle
12-25-2004, 07:39 PM
rota has a history of being generally inexpensive and not too high on the quality level. however, as long as these are strictly for looks and you're not pushing them, say tracking them or driving especially hard, you should be safe.

ErroR
12-25-2004, 10:52 PM
rota has a history of being generally inexpensive and not too high on the quality level. however, as long as these are strictly for looks and you're not pushing them, say tracking them or driving especially hard, you should be safe.

I agree with the above post. Rota is a manufacturer of knockoff wheels. These in particular are a knockoff of the Advan RG wheels. They are decent if you are not looking to beat them to death.

hksevo8
12-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Looks very nice. Advan RG's will cost alot, and if these are cost effective go for it.

Macky
12-26-2004, 12:40 AM
they look nice, id take em :D

GokuSSJ4
12-26-2004, 01:12 AM
rota's are nice, but like said before for track :? hmmm... makes you think about it twice , since some one posted before about the wheel coming apart at an auto cross event :yikes:

Macky
12-26-2004, 01:21 AM
wheels coming apart at the track cant be good :shock:

GokuSSJ4
12-26-2004, 02:05 AM
here is the thread about the incident (too bad that the 6 pics that they had were taken down:
Rota Wheels FYI « » 12:19 AM Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't seen it, this was posted on a few autox BBS's
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:06:12 -0600
Subject: Re: Rota Attack Wheels

After going to their site to make sure of the model, I saw where they
advertise themselves as the low cost alternative to high end light
wheels. I don't have any other experience with their products and don't
want anyone to think that I've formed a totally negative opinion about
their products. However the wheels I checked today (all Attack) showed
signs of cracking. I was told that the car that had the wheel break has
only been autocrossed. We were holding our 2002 regional championship
today and had a professional photographer on hand. He took pictures of the
wheel, hub and the break lines. When (and if) he sends them to me I'll
upload them. The owner will get a copy, he plans to file for replacement
with the manufacturer. We are running a normal regional event tomorrow and
should have some 20 Subaru entries. I plan to check them for Rota wheels
and imperfections. I'll post the findings.

>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "James Rogerson" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 9:43 PM
>Subject: [evolution-disc.] Rota Attack Wheels
>
>
> > Today we had a Subaru with Rota (brand) Attack (model) wheels shear the
>rim
> > away from the hub. All five spokes showed oxidation at least 1/2 to 2/3
>of
> > the way through from the inside. I checked the other wheels and found a
> > fine crack on the inside of two spokes on one other wheel with my
> > thumbnail. There is ALMOST NO VISIBLE crack. The crack is masked by the
> > powder coating. One other Rota wheel has a raised line on the rear of the
> > spoke that is discernable by thumbnail only. I'd advise anyone using
>these
> > wheels to check them for cracks on the inside of the spoke about 1.5 to 2
> > inches out from the hub.
> >
> > The wheel went off course over 100 feet, hit a curb and ended up over 10
> > feet off the ground in a tree. Wheel sheared in a 180 deg sweeper,
>typical
> > Roger Johnson Nationals course.
> >
> > James Rogerson
> > [FP #125] - Tekless Racing
> > [email protected]

Just something to think about when buying autox/track wheels. I've always questioned the durability of the Rota for motorsports, but that's just me. Lightweight and cast is a scarry combination IMO.

here is the rest :
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=376938&page=1

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309119

Boosted
12-26-2004, 03:08 AM
damn....

CT9A RS
12-26-2004, 05:47 AM
damn yeah. You definitely get wut u pay for.

U want that look but relatively inexpensive. Check out Black Racing wheels.
Japanese company. Knock off of the Advan RGs but i havent heard nething bad about the Black Racings.

-Serge B.

trinydex
12-29-2004, 01:00 PM
holy shit... that makes me wanna stay away from that shit. i was thinking of getting 5zigen FN01R-C but lots of people are tracking these, so i trust 'em :\. did you guys know that advans are cast? i wonder how they get 'em strong and semilight, i mean they're not like volk feather light, prolly use a similar process to enkei when they cast.

Justin1933
12-29-2004, 02:14 PM
The Subi crowd has been running Rotas for a long time...I believe there is a website (subydude or something like that)....Check around..I think they are fine for daily driving, just not for the track...

Absinthe
12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Alright be fore all of you get up in arms about the quality of Rota wheels, they are above all fine. No one would question the built quality of SSR wheels but just as many of those fail as do Rota Wheels. There seems to be a perception on this biard that if it costs more it must be better, as many of you are begining to see from Scot and the approach the DSM guys take to tuning this isnt always the case.

As for people blowing them out at the track, certain of the models are more suceptible than others but in damn near every case of a rota wheel failing and causing damage the driver was at fault. If you are going to track you car and you dont bother to check your wheels and tires before and after every event then perhaps you get what you deserve?

Gary Shsenna (sp?) runs them on his USTC WRX with no problems ever, but if you truely beieve that nothing that is cheap can be good then pay more for other wheels. The real draw back of Rota for the evo right now is that they have very limited sizes and models for our cars, and limited prospects of developing more due to slowish demand.

GokuSSJ4
12-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Alright be fore all of you get up in arms about the quality of Rota wheels, they are above all fine. No one would question the built quality of SSR wheels but just as many of those fail as do Rota Wheels. There seems to be a perception on this biard that if it costs more it must be better, as many of you are begining to see from Scot and the approach the DSM guys take to tuning this isnt always the case.

As for people blowing them out at the track, certain of the models are more suceptible than others but in damn near every case of a rota wheel failing and causing damage the driver was at fault. If you are going to track you car and you dont bother to check your wheels and tires before and after every event then perhaps you get what you deserve?

Gary Shsenna (sp?) runs them on his USTC WRX with no problems ever, but if you truely beieve that nothing that is cheap can be good then pay more for other wheels. The real draw back of Rota for the evo right now is that they have very limited sizes and models for our cars, and limited prospects of developing more due to slowish demand.

i wish i still had the pics of the wheels so you can be the judge to what happen (since the wheel came apart in the center area :? )

Absinthe
12-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I have seen the pictures tons of time from five or six different incidents, each time the the broken spoke we will call it exhibited different shades of metal trhough the fractured area, part of the way the would be dark grey in nature indicating exposure to the elements, and part would be a lighter shade of the same color indicating that this sectiojn of the break was fresh.

I'm no more careful than anyone else (to a fault) but its clear from the indications of these breaks the people involved never noticed the rim craking before it failed, if they were tracking the car they should have been looking.

Also one of the early Rota designs that was the most prone to failure of thier wheels has had a spoke re-design about two years ago and since has been more reliable. Im not sure what the actuall wheel name was but it was the copy of the SSR competion wheel.

sidewaysevo
12-29-2004, 08:31 PM
if i had a honda i would get rotas. but for a 30k car get sumthing good. i have volks on my car and not one day goes by i regret spending the cash on these wheels.

DTunedEvoX
12-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I had Rota Sub Zero's on my WRX ... Used them for tofu runs and what not ... I remember reading when that subzero failed and broke @ like 4 points @ a auto-x event on nasioc a yr or so back ..

I would buy Rota's again if it were strickly for looks - perhaps a winter tire ... And would probably use my stock enkei's for the track ... Just some food for thought ..

rino
12-29-2004, 09:46 PM
rota has very good prices but the quality is just horrible in my opinion. I had them a while back on another car and once I removed them after riding on them for a few months I noticed about 2 dents on the wheels. I only tracked the car once or twice, but it's pretty scary seeing that after 2 track days and the rest street driving.

rexorz
12-31-2004, 11:36 PM
rotas are gay. PERIOD.

Ev0WN3D
01-02-2005, 07:09 AM
looks similar to the ADVAN RGII prototypes the TRB-02 HKS Evo runs... anyone notice that?