PDA

View Full Version : DILEMMA!!! EVO 8 MR or 04 Pontiac GTO?!??

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 03:37 AM
Yeah I've had my eyes on the EVO 8 Mr edition, and i even had plans on what i'm going to do to it.. But then the Pontiac GTO deal hit me right now... 350HP RWBHP... Interior looks hella sweet (gonna change out the steering wheel) but exterior is dull. MR Edition is kind of like the opposite... But I know MR is faster. But anyway, My dilemma is I WANT the EVO 8 MR. I really do. But I can get the Pontiac GTO on a 2 year lease 12,000 miles a year (i can upgrade for a little more), 0 down for about 230/mo OTD. I think 15K is like 250 or something, not much more. Any color, Fully loaded. That's unbelievable.. But i'm willing to go 400-500/mo on the evo MR on a lease if they can match it... Damn i hate this... I was so planning on getting the EVO, but damn GTO is respected too... Vauxhaul chasis, Corvette engine, and GM's transmissions.... but awful exterior... DAMN IT ALL!!! ARG!!! somebody help me with hookups!!! What would you do in my position? BTW, Ontario Mitsubishi were assholes. I went there Sunday? and i think they didn't even want to sell me a car. Manny was kind of cool, but didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about, and he didn't want to sell me the car. (went there around 6:30 at night) you guys have any recommendations? advice?

alex_alex
12-28-2004, 04:21 AM
hard decision.

but if you want to track the car, there's really only one way to go.

Also, the GTO's are not slower than the EVO except for standstill acceleration. From a roll, the GTO will keep up and / or be faster than the MR.

Also, keep in mind that the new GTO's will be 400hp. Might bother you a bit, i dunno.

nijikon5
12-28-2004, 04:39 AM
alex_alex pretty much hit it. If you want to track the car, don't look any farther than the Evo. Dealership wise, goto HB Mitsu and you won't be disappointed. I don't know much about GTO's but as far as mod potential on the Evo, if the money is properly spent, your evo will FLY like you won't believe. So Simpo.

Macky
12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
EVO MR. you cant go wrong, rain or shine, it stomps the competition 8)

Absinthe
12-28-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry evo guys but 230 a month OTD you are going to pay 2-3 times that on a 2 year lease for an Evo and its just not 2-3times better tan the Pontiac.

And most mitsu dealers suck.

el rey evo
12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I'd get the GTO...

Total wolf in sheep's clothing...looks like a low key car, not a glance from the cops, but with that powerplant under the hood you can jump on it when needed :D Can you tell I'm over the scrutiny from the cops and having every fargin boy racer rev at me? :evil:

It's going to be WAY more comfy than the EVO and 10x the better daily driver...so if, as said above, it's not a track car, spend the $230 a month and get the GTO...you can spend the leftovers on dates with chicks that will be creaming over the nice interior... :wink:

Get the GTO :!:

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 12:19 PM
The worst part about it is that i've seen a lot of GTO's at Drifting events, and the GTO is not a bad track car.. but like the rest of you, I WANT AN EVO MR!!! damn it... hrm.. anyone got hookups at a mitsu dealer? maybe i should pay a visit to the HB Mitsu and see what they can work out for me... I'll go up to 400/mo for payments JUST for the MR... or around that.. you think that's reasonable? Do they even lease the MR?

Blaze
12-28-2004, 12:32 PM
I've seen that car before somewhere...hmmmmm but where?

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/images/bg_image1.jpg

Could it be...a HOlDEN?

http://auta5p.car.cz/katalog/holden/monaro_01.jpg

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah it's based off the vauxhaul chasis (Monaro) and that's why it's so bad ass... fuck I want evo mr....

gofaster87
12-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Pontiac is just horrible. I worked for them years ago and I wouldnt take one of their cars if it was handed to me for free. The GTO is not much of a looker either not that the Evo is Ms America but at least it looks like a mean track car.

GokuSSJ4
12-28-2004, 01:16 PM
The worst part about it is that i've seen a lot of GTO's at Drifting events, and the GTO is not a bad track car.. but like the rest of you, I WANT AN EVO MR!!! damn it... hrm.. anyone got hookups at a mitsu dealer? maybe i should pay a visit to the HB Mitsu and see what they can work out for me... I'll go up to 400/mo for payments JUST for the MR... or around that.. you think that's reasonable? Do they even lease the MR?

if you can afford it go with the MR, check if they have a lease program (last time i knew there was non) also depends how long you plan to finance your car, your APR% and down payment you are looking at no less then 500.00+ a month payment

alex_alex
12-28-2004, 01:20 PM

I love how you were talking crap about the MR all the way until you got one for yourself :)

congrats on the new car.

Macky
12-28-2004, 01:28 PM
I'll go up to 400/mo for payments JUST for the MR... or around that.. you think that's reasonable? Do they even lease the MR?

im not sure if they lease it, but its unlikely. 400 for an MR is unreasonable. its a 34K car, a 5 year term at 0% (which is unlikely) and you are already at 566-570 a month. The MR is at least a 580-590 on very good credit with a down payment. You would be better off buying a GSR trim Evo if price is a factor, but that’s just me.

HB is a great place to get your Evo but be reasonable when you ask for one. Most people assume that if they go to a recommended dealer they will get rock bottom price. It all depends, but the bottom line is be reasonable when looking for a car, because most people ask for the impossible and when they get rejected, they bad mouth the dealer.

Just my .02s

Macky
12-28-2004, 01:29 PM

I love how you were talking crap about the MR all the way until you got one for yourself :)

congrats on the new car.

lol thanks. i wasnt talking crap, just nit picking 8) :wink:

EVOate909
12-28-2004, 01:45 PM
trickedoutevov/// works at the ontario dealership...
shoot him a PM, he mite get you a deal!! 8)

BOVBILLY
12-28-2004, 01:53 PM
IMHO, if you have to ask which one you should get, you shouldn't get the EVO.

You get the EVO cause you love it. Not because of a coin toss!

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 03:06 PM
you see? this makes the GTO sound SO much better... Does Mitsubishi get any end of the year kick back bonuses? I heard those bonuses go up to 50K, and that'll help out my EVO MR purchase. If i want to finance it, i'll probably finance it for 72 months (trying to get the lowest payments). The worst thing is also, that the Evo 9 is coming out EARLY next year (supposedly so i'd probably expect it in fall) and it'll drop the price of the MR considerably. I've also read that Mitsu is having the worst time right now trying to sell cars. They just fired another 7.5k people again (probably headquarters, never sales/dealerships). I just wish the MR wasn't so damn expensive!!! But man 230 OTD/mo for the vauxhaul... yeah performance wise, it isn't 3x-4x slower than the EVO. Interior is way better IMO. GTO is also a 32-34K car... I guess the only thing i can do is to go down to the HB Dealership and see what they can do for me to ease my dilemma. Sucks. Sucks soooo much!!!!

Macky
12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
the 9 wont drop the price of the MR simply because the MR is a limited run, as opposed to the regular run of Evo 9s. the 8 will probably go down to sticker, maybe 500 over invoice, but I don’t think the MR will be that much affected.

Where you get your info is beyond me, those sound really bogus, if not extremely far-fetched. They would seem like something people who cant afford an Evo would make up just to justify their desire for the dealers to drop down the prices of these cars.

To add to BOVBILLY’s comment, he is right, if you have to ask, the car isn’t for you.

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I didn't have to ask before. But now i have to!! but here's some info about mitsu's financial standings:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh2720 0_2004-12-24_07-32-10_t219490_newsml

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/China/FL29Ad01.html

but of course, who cares. It's about the EVO. I want one. end of story. Now where can i get a the best deal available?

Macky
12-28-2004, 03:31 PM
then its HB :wink:

BOVBILLY
12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/finkl123/Ownster/sucks10.gif

nine4surfah
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/finkl123/Ownster/sucks10.gif

spit or swallow? :?:

hagakure
12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Just a note: 05 GTO has 400 HP, looks a bit better as well, with hood scoop, etc...

Percy

gevo
12-28-2004, 05:25 PM
I test drove an 04 GTO the day before I bought my Evo. Nice car but a totally different animal (apples to oranges) From a roll GTO wins, but that's about it. Evo IMHO is the better car.

DTunedEvoX
12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
What BOVBILLY said ... An EVO is not for you if your gonna deceide with a cointoss ... And honestly I dunno bout leasing an EVO ... I think your far better off in the GTO if you have doubts ....

Something BETTER always comes out ... Just be happy with whatever you get now ... If your getting such a good deal with that GTO - then get it .. You wouldnt want to be in a bad financial situation if you cant afford an EVO if something happens ..

Good luck with whatever you choose ... Just stick with it .. Either way I'm sure you wont go wrong .. With all this rain I'm sure you'd appriciate the AWD better ...

gofaster87
12-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Who cares about Mitsus financial standing. If you want the car you are going to get it. Their standing would mean something if I owned stock, a car isnt an invetment that appreciates. The price of the MR will definately not drop with the 9 coming out, so dont hold your breath.

wickedEVO
12-28-2004, 06:14 PM
You don't have to get the MR. You can buy the regular 05 EVOs. Same engine, same 276HP, also comes with ACD. Only extra you're gettin with the MR is the BBS, vortex generator, bilstein shocks, and 6speed. That's about it.

kipper215
12-28-2004, 06:16 PM
leasing suck's major butt. if i were you i would keep stackin those chips then make a move. finanical hell is not pleasant.

finbarqs
12-28-2004, 07:41 PM
affordability is not a problem. It's just that when you see a deal like the GTO, you can't pass it up... Metaphor:

in the computing world, you want a Geforce 6800 Ultra. You can buy it. You have the money.

You see a ATI X800XT PE for half the price. instead of paying 500+ dollars for the 6800 Ultra, you get the X800XT for 150 bucks. What shall you do?

evo being 560-600 bucks, and the GTO being 230.... pricing wise it's the same concept.

gevo
12-28-2004, 07:46 PM
affordability is not a problem. It's just that when you see a deal like the GTO, you can't pass it up... Metaphor:

in the computing world, you want a Geforce 6800 Ultra. You can buy it. You have the money.

You see a ATI X800XT PE for half the price. instead of paying 500+ dollars for the 6800 Ultra, you get the X800XT for 150 bucks. What shall you do?

evo being 560-600 bucks, and the GTO being 230.... pricing wise it's the same concept.

If affortability is not a problem and you have the money then buy the better of the two cars(EVO).

Gear Grinder
12-28-2004, 08:49 PM
Dude, you should get a Chevy Cobolt SS, I hear they're really sporty.

rino
12-28-2004, 10:25 PM
I was looking for a daily driver when I was buying my car. I was leaning towards a scion tc but then I kept thinking hard about it. Every single time I was to see an evo on the street, i'd do anything to get one. Now, you have no financial problems, just get the evo.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
12-28-2004, 10:47 PM
bro...whoever said that ontario mitsu were assholes!!! i resent that cuz everyone that comes in to look at the evo im the one that helps them and i never do that...i answer all the stupid questions and let whoever is looking at them ACT like they know everything hahaha...Manny is an awesome salesman but when it comes to the evo im the one you should be talking to, and usually when someone comes in on the evo and im there they usually come and get me...now on the business note, dude if you wise up and decide to get the evo, im waiting...and all this bullshit about mitsu financing being predictable with down payment, monthly and all the other bullshit...that doesnt mean anything, best thing to do is come in and try it out. rule of thumb for every thousand dollars financed, its 30 bucks a month...let me know

EVOate909
12-29-2004, 03:14 AM
bro...whoever ..........d dollars financed, its 30 bucks a month...let me know

hey thas y i recommended u 8)

Gear Grinder
12-29-2004, 08:32 AM
GTO stands for (getting too old), it's a full on mid-life crisis car. Besides, you will get much better poontang in an Evo :wink:

Skiracer
12-29-2004, 08:49 AM
GTO stands for (getting too old), it's a full on mid-life crisis car. Besides, you will get much better poontang in an Evo :wink:

I think the only pootang an Evo will attract are high school girls. Don't know many older women who willl be attracted to an Evo.

el rey evo
12-29-2004, 09:49 AM

I think the only pootang an Evo will attract are high school girls. Don't know many older women who willl be attracted to an Evo.
:lol: true dat!

Macky
12-29-2004, 10:13 AM

but the high school girls are HAAAWT :shock: :wink:

Absinthe
12-29-2004, 11:09 AM
rule of thumb for every thousand dollars financed, its 30 bucks a month...let me know

My ASS who taught you this math, or perhaps this is the rate for the usual C & D paper crap mitsu has been selling cars to (which incidentaly is the reason mitsu dealers suck, becuase all they deal with all day long ar people with shitty credit and shitty jobs, so they try and rape decent hard working people out of habit). Using your math that would have us pay back 54,000 on a 30k loan over 60months or 43k on 30 over 48 months

Rule of thumb: for 60 months financed at 5.9%

$20 per 1,000 borrowed.

And 5.9 isnt that good of a rate.

bogey8
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM

Hey my wife was attracted to the Evo the first time she saw it in the showroom.

But not that I'm saying she's an older woman (she's gonna kill me if she sees this), she sees me driving it and that's what attracted her to the Evo. :wink:

But $230 a month for a GTO is a sweet deal, maybe I should test drive one. hmmm...and ya, I am getting old. :)

kipper215
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM

what do you mean....i get grandmas hit'n on me all the time. :lol:

rammsteinmatt
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM

it should also attract the real female car enthusiast, who actually knows more than how to put gas in the car. good find if you ask me, rare, but good

finbarqs
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
we all know the evo is beautiful... You step inside the car, and it's.. not so beautiful... granted i thin it's better than a 350z, but it's not better than let say.. the GTO or the Audi. Love the car externally, hate the cloth Recaro's... (which i'm thinking maybe i should just alcontera the middle) and the dash isn't that cool lookin' either... However, it's nothing i hate either. Just standard plain and bland on the interior, no classy, no ricy, just standard Acura RSX like. (maybe a bit less, not much but a bit)

Macky
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM
its no luxury car so dont compare it to a luxury car. the only thing they have in common is the high price tag - nothing more

8-AGAIN
12-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Get the GTO and enjoy it and the extra money you'll be saving for the next 2 years....

then when the lease is up, put a down payment on the Evo 9 if you still want one....

finbarqs
12-29-2004, 02:43 PM
that's what i'm thinking, do the GTO, have fun with it, and then wait for the better, badder, Evo X or IX to come out. At least i get to have fun in both cars.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
12-30-2004, 01:09 AM
And 5.9 isnt that good of a rate.[/quote]

you obviously dont know what the hell youre talking about bro cuz 5.9 is close to the least ive every seen an evo finance for...least ive ever seen is 5.11% apr and thats with someone with an 805 fico score. save the bullshit for someone that doesnt sell cars

finbarqs
12-30-2004, 02:25 AM
i would've just got the loan from my credit union and get a finance of 4.2%... just don't go through mitsu's finance, it's not that great..

Macky
12-30-2004, 09:50 AM

you obviously dont know what the hell youre talking about bro cuz 5.9 is close to the least ive every seen an evo finance for...least ive ever seen is 5.11% apr and thats with someone with an 805 fico score. save the bullshit for someone that doesnt sell cars[/quote]

i got a 4.7 on my last evo :D

Blaze
12-30-2004, 09:53 AM

you obviously dont know what the hell youre talking about bro cuz 5.9 is close to the least ive every seen an evo finance for...least ive ever seen is 5.11% apr and thats with someone with an 805 fico score. save the bullshit for someone that doesnt sell cars

i got a 4.7 on my last evo :D

I for 4.7 too. I was going to finance through AAA, but Ontario Mitsu beat them by going through Well Fargo. I hope I can get another low rate if/when I trade to a IX. Your rate depends obviously on your credit score, but also, the amount financed. So if you dump a bigger down payment, you can save a few dollars in the long run.

Absinthe
12-30-2004, 11:24 AM

I sold cars for a year, I also worked for Nissan North America, so I know what I am talking about. AND my evo rate is 4.24 with a Fico score of 785 want to see the paper work???????????

Just checked eLoan for you Fico of above 660 get you 4.69 for 60 months so looks like your finance or sales manager put that guy together becuase buy rate should have been around 4.49 for that loan.

And you you never addressed the $30 per 1,000 borowed part of your post which is absolute BS. Quit trying to put us together.

GokuSSJ4
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM

I sold cars for a year, I also worked for Nissan North America, so I know what I am talking about. AND my evo rate is 4.24 with a Fico score of 785 want to see the paper work???????????

Just checked eLoan for you Fico of above 660 get you 4.69 for 60 months so looks like your finance or sales manager put that guy together becuase buy rate should have been around 4.49 for that loan.

And you you never addressed the $30 per 1,000 borowed part of your post which is absolute BS. Quit trying to put us together.

An that is still high Dave
when i was purchasing my evo this were the rates that i saw
4 years 3.3 APR%
5 years 3.9 APR%
6 years 4.9 APR%

so a 5.11 APR % for a 5 year contract is high, depends which banks you deal with.

Back on topic, just because a car is cheaper or has lower monthly payments doesn't mean its a better car or an option IMO. Its what you really want or plan to purchase. Im sure you can get a Zion for a very low price, If you are looking for lower payments then look into the RS model which go for near 26-27K. If you can not afford a payment of 5-600.00a month with a nice down payment then don't consider the MR as an option anymore. Comparing the GTO vs MR is comparing apples & oranges, the cars ar to different to compare. A better example would be an STi vs MR. IF you have your heart set on the MR then deal with the high payments, if you have your heart set on an Evo but can't afford the MR's price then buy an RS for 26k. It has all the items that the MR has performance wise : ACD, Front LSD you don't get the bilstein suspension and 6 speed. Its a matter of you being able to pay for it or not.

Absinthe
12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
I know its higher than what you paid but bythe time I bought my evo rates were going back up, I missed getting 3.99 on my by a good couple of months, dont for get federal rates have gone up quite a bit in the past 18 months. Also Im only talking about 60 months obviously less time = less rate.

Blaze
12-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Spotted my first GTO on 10 Eastbound this morning.

It's nice. Nothing special. Mistook it for a Stratus at first. I think it'll be the underestimated sleeper of 2005 if/when it receives a 400HP power plant.

Chris in SD
12-30-2004, 02:30 PM
The 2005 GTO will have 400 hp (old Z06 engine). That is worth waiting for if you really want a GTO.

finbarqs
12-30-2004, 05:16 PM
if i wanted the 05 GTO, i'd get the EVO MR. But right now, it's the price that's seducing me away from the EVO. my FICO score is 778, and that should qualify me for good financing rates. 500-600 bucks/mo is no problem (+200 more for ins and gas). But 230 for 350BHP, 360lbs torque, RWD... EVO is the better car. I HAD my heart set on the EVO MR. But.. my god.. i can get the GTO chipped (480BHP) for 150 bucks at my friend's dealership. (maybe even less). Power is no concern. Driving, feel, and how fun it is, is my main concern. Dealerships obviously wont let me drive the MR. Why? because "People who buy EVO MR's want the least amount of mileage on them". Well I've never really felt how the EVO goes, my friend has an STI and tested that out... Going to test the GTO today (guy told me to test it out before i buy) and yes... i'll get a feel for both the cars. I know the EVO is good because of all the reviews, BMI, top gear, 5th gear, all that crap i've been reading and watching. That's why i want the EVO... from those videos. Just because the EVO is awesome in those videos doesn't mean it's the car for me. But i'm still leaning towards the EVO. (MR)

TrickedOutEVOVIII
12-31-2004, 02:40 AM
first of all i am a sales manager there, secondly, that 5.11 rate is for 6 years 72 months...not 60, obviously 4.25 is easily accessable to ppl with really good credit, and third yes i did put him together hahahahahaha
fourth bro, id love to have someone like you come into the dealership to try to buy a car, i enjoy customers like that, makes me work harder. anyhow, ur getting too worked up about all this...take it easy homie and lets try to address what the originator of this thread is trying to understand from all of us...so basically, buy whatever you want bro, if you think the evo doesnt look nice on the inside and the gto does then get the freakin gto, whatever floats ur boat

moogle
12-31-2004, 04:32 AM
If cost is a thing than go get the gto. Why do you want an MR anyways, just get a evo gsr, their both evos, and it'll be cheaper and you'll probably get a better deal... I don't know.

And if you want to get an evo go talk to trickedout/terrick in Ontario. The service is total crap, and some of the sales men don't know a thing about cars. but terrick he knows his stuff and he'll hook you up on a deal.

Absinthe
12-31-2004, 10:17 AM
first of all i am a sales manager there, secondly, that 5.11 rate is for 6 years 72 months...not 60, obviously 4.25 is easily accessable to ppl with really good credit, and third yes i did put him together hahahahahaha
fourth bro, id love to have someone like you come into the dealership to try to buy a car, i enjoy customers like that, makes me work harder. anyhow, ur getting too worked up about all this...take it easy homie and lets try to address what the originator of this thread is trying to understand from all of us...so basically, buy whatever you want bro, if you think the evo doesnt look nice on the inside and the gto does then get the freakin gto, whatever floats ur boat

Whatever... my track record speaks for its self I have gotten one of the better deals (for those of us who only bought one car MACKY) here late last year, with a low rate, and was in an out of sant monica mitsu (notorius jackasses) in under an hour dictating my terms the whole way, really its not tough just get to dealers in a bidding war...

But you are right back on topic, dude get the GTO its practically free at 230 a month OTD thats about 214 a month with out tax you cant falut that. WIth the cash you save you will get to have a lot more fun outside of the car becuase you have $400 extra everymonth to play with. Or save that every month and buy an M3 in two years.

Macky
12-31-2004, 11:25 AM
i got the low rate not because i bought two cars at the same time bro. i already bought my first white evo and approved an hour before we decided to buy the red evo back then :?

it wasnt because i bought two

leaveit2bevo
12-31-2004, 12:47 PM
I HAD my heart set on the EVO MR. But.. my god.. i can get the GTO chipped (480BHP) for 150 bucks at my friend's dealership. (maybe even less). a chip on a gto is good for 120whp?

Macky
12-31-2004, 12:49 PM
I HAD my heart set on the EVO MR. But.. my god.. i can get the GTO chipped (480BHP) for 150 bucks at my friend's dealership. (maybe even less).

i find that very hard to believe. this thread has been nothing but all talk

finbarqs
12-31-2004, 03:32 PM
oh well... I went and test drove the GTO. great car. Very heavy around corners, but it's a great car. Yeah, steal at 230.. oops correction 219/mo OTD... Hrm... oh well... I got an offer for an EVO MR at 33999... that sounds pretty impressive too.. (graphite grey w/ 13miles)

TrickedOutEVOVIII
01-01-2005, 03:52 AM
33990??? are you kidding?? then what are you sittin on your ass on here replying to a dead ass thread for?? go and buy it!! thats an awesome price

MAFIOSO8
01-01-2005, 05:57 AM
33990??? are you kidding?? then what are you sittin on your ass on here replying to a dead ass thread for?? go and buy it!! thats an awesome price dude thats a great price take the MR

Deca Auto
01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
i agree. 34000 is a steal.

Ev0WN3D
01-02-2005, 06:41 AM
actually get a used 03-04 evo8 and mod it, its cheaper and faster that way. I smoked a NEW gto with another person in the car after I let him go before me, then hit it, he got owned. and I have a stock turbo lol!

leaveit2bevo
01-02-2005, 12:42 PM
ya right that MR has 13 miles on it meaning somebody drove it for about 9-10 miles and probally beat the hell out of it.