PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Redondo Beach - any Evo owners in the area

myblkevo8
12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Hello all!

I currently live in Cincinnati Ohio, but am staying with a friend in Redondo Beach right now. I have been here off and on for a month or so at a time and will be here until Feburary. I am thinking about moving here and would like to get to know some Evo owners in the area.

I would also like to know if there are any gas stations in the area that sell "race gas", octane that is at least 100. I know that the best regular gas you can get is 91 octane and my car is currently flashed for 94 octane. Al from dyno flash told me he would reflash it to 91 octane for free, but I don't want to lose the HP if I can help it so am really hoping to find a place near Redondo Beach that sells race gas.

I would also like to know if there are any "good" tunner shops in the LA area. I am thinking about getting some more work done on my car, and am trying to decide if I should take it back up to Buschur before I move here for the work or if there is a place aroud here I could take it to.

I hear that XS Engineering, Road Race Engineering, Harman Motive, and Brainstorm are all good tuners. Where do you all take your cars to get work done?

thanks and am looking foreard to heraring/meeting some of you,
-Doug

DTunedEvoX
12-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Hello again -= glad to see you can make it to these boards ... EVOM=BLEH @ times .. hehehe ... Any and all of those places recommended to you are good tuners .... Just gotta pick one!

myblkevo8
12-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks again for all the information and for telling me about this site. It's kinda neat that you all have your own site.

Are thre any gas stations that sell race gas around here? I would like to be able to mix it with the crapy 91 octane you all have here so that I can keep my 94 octand dynoflash. I thought about octane boosters but they would not be enough to make up the at least 3 octane difference.

I have called 76 and sunoco and both say that they currently have no stations in Calafornia that sell race gas. Why is it so hard to get good gas around here?

-Doug

Skiracer
12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Their are a few stations that sell 100 Octane, but i'm not sure in your area. FYI, its at least $5.50/gallon. Welcome to Kalifornia...

rino
12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
You just have to pull up to the gas station and ask. I've heard from other people that 76 gas stations carry race gas the most out of all the other stations - but this is just something i've heard.

myblkevo8
12-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys...I'll keep looking...

I spoke to a 76 representative and they told me that they no longer have a distributor in Calafornia since they change the brand name of their race gas to "rocket fuel". That means they currently have no stations in Calafornia selling race gas. They did say they are working on getting a distributor and hope to start selling it again soon.

BTW - whats up with all the rain? I thought it was supposed to be sunny and nice here :)

-Doug

ultraflip
12-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Hahaha... The rain in cali is very rare... We just got hit with a weird storm... Thats all... As far as octanes above 91 octane... Theres a shop here in long beach called ''team c''... They're more geared for mucle cars than our cars... But they can get ya ur fix for race fuel... Again... Its pricey.... Like another said... Welcome to kali

DTunedEvoX
12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
You may also want to try motorcycle shops .. or look for alliance gas stations ... I use an alliance gas station but a bit further north from you that sells 101 @ the pump ...

Good luck on your search!

Skiracer
12-29-2004, 05:48 PM
There is a 76 gas station that does sell 100 octane in Santa Monica, but that's 18 miles north of Redondo Beach. For daily driving, you're gonna go broke using strictly race gas. You should get a setup to use both 91 and 100 octane.

myblkevo8
12-29-2004, 08:01 PM
ultraflip,

Do you have an address or phone number for "Team C"?

skiracer_blah,

Really? I talked to 76 corporate and they said there was none. Good to hear. Do you know the address of that station?

GinuwineEvo8,

I will do a search for Alliance gas stations and see if there are any close.

I do not play to strictly use race gas (100 octane) I just want to mix 3 gallons or so with the crappy 91 to get me to an average 93/94 octane so that I can keep my Dynoflash where it is and no have to lose any HP my changing it and detunning it for use with 91 octane. I got spoiled in Ohio be being able to get 94 octane and just can't bear the thought of losing HP.

Thanks for all the good information you guys have been very helpful and I appreciate the help.

BTW - where are you all located?

-Doug

budzik
12-29-2004, 09:00 PM
I live in Manhattan Beach (next to Redondo) near the pier. There is another guy over here that I have seen in a silver EVO. Who is that?

Skiracer
12-29-2004, 09:39 PM
ultraflip,

skiracer_blah,

Really? I talked to 76 corporate and they said there was none. Good to hear. Do you know the address of that station?

-Doug

Here's the 76 gas staton addy. Just input this addy into mapquest:

W Pico Blvd & S Barrington Ave Los Angeles, CA 90064

I would worry about passing smog first before you worry about where to find race gas 8)
You should look in the "Meets & Events" thread to see where the local Evo meets are near Redondo Beach.

el rey evo
12-29-2004, 09:57 PM
There is a 76 near my house in Newport that sells 100 octane at the pump for $4.99...but that's too far for you to drive... :?

go4broke
12-30-2004, 02:08 PM
welcome to the southbay dude...i believe that there's 100 + octane gas at a gas station up in the hills...PV i mean....I thought I saw 110 octane over there like 8 years ago....not sure about now...