PDA

View Full Version : SMOG TEST

KRNEVO8
01-09-2005, 09:54 PM
hey peoples
i was just wondering
im planning to modify my evo heavily and i just thought of 2 problems smog test and the cops. if your evo is modified alot and u have to take the smog test. do you guys take it all off before u get the evo tested? or do u have "someone" who "passes ur smog test"? cuz i think its gonna be a pain in the butt if u have to take off everything jus for a smog check. second problem. and have any of you gotten pulled over and the cops check under the hood and saw illegal modified parts. does he jus give you a fix-it ticket?

-frank

turbrodude
01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Nobody here is illegally modifying their cars so as to have trouble with a smog check. We can't help you. Sorry.

turbolarry
01-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Nobody here is illegally modifying their cars so as to have trouble with a smog check. We can't help you. Sorry.

What?

For me, I've just kept the stock parts and swapped them back in for smog. The most crucial things are the air box, proper routing of vacuum lines, stock down pipe, and stock cat. Put those things on for smog and you'll be fine. I just did all this, plus stock injectors, to sell my Eclipse and it passed with flying colors. My guy didn't trip on gauges, turbo timer, or the AFC.
As far as the cops go, it's like the Cracker Jacks prize; You never know what your going to get. I've been pulled over lots of times, but he never asked to pop the hood and he's never looked for a cat. I think as long as you cooperate, don't try and weasle your way out of things, or lie, you'll be fine.
I am taking a different route with the Evo though; hide everything and weld a cat's shell around the test pipe.

EVOate909
01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
i think we're goin to be exempt from smog tests....because we have AWD :P

BOVBILLY
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
This is a subject I care not to discuss on the board!

lqdchkn
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Wrong we still have to smog. I was talking with a smog ref recently and he said that with AWD they'll just default us to the old idle and 2500 rpm test. No dyno.

Hope that helps.

Boosted
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
i think we're goin to be exempt from smog tests....because we have AWD :P

thats not true at all they will just haave you put your car in neutral and rev to 25% power

Boosted
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Wrong we still have to smog. I was talking with a smog ref recently and he said that with AWD they'll just default us to the old idle and 2500 rpm test. No dyno.

Hope that helps.

shit didnt read far enough

wsEVO562
01-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't know, but a homie of mine just re-registered his wrx and he had to pay like $6 extra for x-zimpt (spelling?) cuz of awd???
this guy isn't known for lying....

toku-one
01-10-2005, 05:12 PM
i just had to smog mine in dec. (cause the bank screwed everything up with the sale 4 months ago and i could register my car)

buschur turbo back
works p2
stock intake
catch can
mini battery

they did the 25% test.
passed with no problem

ps.
its exempt (ig-'zem(p)t) adjective. meaning obsolete

rammsteinmatt
01-10-2005, 06:30 PM
just revving the car with no load causes the turbo to boost minimal pressure, right? so wouldnt the evo pass very easily because without the turbo its just basically a 2.0L sedan like any acura, honda, and toyota from a pollution point of view?

Richard EVO
01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Nowadays new cars don't have to get their first smog test for like 4 years in California. By the time my RS if 4 years old, it will either be a screaming hulk of melted metal, or a trailer queen. :lol:

turbolarry
01-11-2005, 01:33 PM
just revving the car with no load causes the turbo to boost minimal pressure, right? so wouldnt the evo pass very easily because without the turbo its just basically a 2.0L sedan like any acura, honda, and toyota from a pollution point of view?

Rev to 2500 rpm and it will still be in vacuum. Throw in the stock injectors and a cat and it will pass.

KRNEVO8
01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
hrmmm wat about if u have a HIGH FLOW CAT SYSTEM from HELIX? or a CAT-DELETE PIPE?

hey is it true that if u have a cat-delete pipe or high flow cat system it stinks up ur car( cuz of all the chemicals going straight through) and makes weird noises from ur exhaust( more like rice rockety)? my friend from street image said this. is it true? lol

CT9A RS
01-13-2005, 03:52 AM
hrmmm wat about if u have a HIGH FLOW CAT SYSTEM from HELIX? or a CAT-DELETE PIPE?

hey is it true that if u have a cat-delete pipe or high flow cat system it stinks up ur car( cuz of all the chemicals going straight through) and makes weird noises from ur exhaust( more like rice rockety)? my friend from street image said this. is it true? lol

dont quote me or take my word for it. But i heard u can pass on the Works Hi flow. as for cat delete no. Because you fail ur visual inspection. I dont think itll stink up with the high flow cat with a straight pipe yeah it wont be smellin too good. But only when ur sitting there idling. I never had too much problem with my 240 smell wise.

As for the rice rockety soound from straight pipes. I dont know on the EVO. on my old 240 not at all. I was runnin unresonated 3inch from the turbo back to a signal auto cb muffler sounded awesome. Not the raspy ringing noise you get from Honda civics when they hollow out the cat or put cat deletes in like d series and b series. my buddy has a cat delete on his k20 powered ek hatch n it sounds clean loud but clean.

So its gonna depend on the motor also. Atleist thats my take on it.

Richard EVO
01-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Six years now for your first smog test in Calif. Who cares???

WavMixer
01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Six years now for your first smog test in Calif. Who cares???Someone else told me that new cars don't need to be smogged for 6 years. Is this true? After the initial 6 years, does it need to be checked every 2 years or 6 years. Enquiring minds want to know?

Richard EVO
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6522

It has to be smogged for the first time when it is 6 model years old, and every 2 years after that.

toku-one
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
i passed with a high flow on my buschur turbo back

forgot to mention that.