PDA

View Full Version : Hit a pothole, should I worry about my alignment?

IS2000
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I just got an alignment done by John@RRE and on the way home, I ran over a pothole on the freeway. One of my TE-37 is slightly bent (couldn't tell by eyes). So, do you think I have to get my alignment check again? Also, is it safe to drive with a bent wheel? :(

Dr. Evo
01-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes, get the alignment rechecked. As far as teh rim, is the lip bent or can you "feel" the bent rim when you are driving? If you can feel it it's, more or less, garbage.

IS2000
01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Only the lip is bent. I couldn't feel any vibration on the steering wheel.

alex_alex
01-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I just got an alignment done by John@RRE and on the way home, I ran over a pothole on the freeway. One of my TE-37 is slightly bent (couldn't tell by eyes). So, do you think I have to get my alignment check again? Also, is it safe to drive with a bent wheel? :(

damn. so much for strong forged wheels huh. ive hit god knows how many hard potholes out in LA and the stockers seem to be fine.

didn't Rich bend a te-37 a while ago too?

IS2000
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM

damn. so much for strong forged wheels huh. ive hit god knows how many hard potholes out in LA and the stockers seem to be fine.

didn't Rich bend a te-37 a while ago too?

I was running 35 series track tires, that's why my wheel took most of the impact. Yeah, and I think Rich bent his TE-37 at the track a year ago. I wonder if he still has a good one that I can buy from him.

nurb2
01-11-2005, 10:41 PM
That sucks. I get mad when I hit potholes 2 months after an alignment, much less the same day!

If you hit a pothole hard enough to bend a rim, then the alignment is definitely out.

-nurb2-

kimletrim
01-11-2005, 11:21 PM
yeah watch out for new potholes all over the place now that the heavy rain has passed. Oh and on the bent rim, it bent because it made contact with the road passing the pothole, not because it was a weak rim. the fact that the rim is still intact is a testament to its structural integrity.

alex_alex
01-11-2005, 11:35 PM
yeah watch out for new potholes all over the place now that the heavy rain has passed. Oh and on the bent rim, it bent because it made contact with the road passing the pothole, not because it was a weak rim. the fact that the rim is still intact is a testament to its structural integrity.

well whatever it was, the stock rim doesn't seem to do that nearly as much, if ever. and a LOT more people on here have stock rims

leaveit2bevo
01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Ive been driving on what we think is a bent enkie for 2 weeks and everything is ok im taking it to a tireshop that has a special machine to tell me which one it is.

CT9A RS
01-13-2005, 04:26 AM

well whatever it was, the stock rim doesn't seem to do that nearly as much, if ever. and a LOT more people on here have stock rims

Wut size tire you runnin there bud. If you got a lot of tire there to absorb the impact then there ya go. He was runnin 35s so im assuming an 18 and he didnt mention the speed he said freeway so im assuming 75 -80 conservative. you could do some damage if u hit a bad bump.

GokuSSJ4
01-13-2005, 10:53 AM
you should email john to see what he says, you might be ok (about the alignment)

IS2000
01-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Well, I was driving at 60mph when I hit the pothole and I was running Dunlop SP race (stiffer sidewalls than stock Advans). The wheel appeared to be okay after I got off the car to take a look, but I put it on the tire balancing machine and there's a slight bend on the outer lip. I don't think stock Enkeis are any stronger than forged monoblock Volks.

IS2000
01-14-2005, 01:17 AM
you should email john to see what he says, you might be ok (about the alignment)

I had John re-aligned the car today, and it's all good now. He even said my wheel is okay to run at Big Willow.

gofaster87
01-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Well, I was driving at 60mph when I hit the pothole and I was running Dunlop SP race (stiffer sidewalls than stock Advans). The wheel appeared to be okay after I got off the car to take a look, but I put it on the tire balancing machine and there's a slight bend on the outer lip. I don't think stock Enkeis are any stronger than forged monoblock Volks.

Must have been a big pothole. Ive hit a few with my le28n's with SO3's and havent bent anything yet.

Muellerized...
01-14-2005, 02:02 AM
He even said my wheel is okay to run at Big Willow.

Actually I said if it was _my_ wheel on _my_ personal car I would run that wheel, but you need to make your _own_ decision. Please stay out of the potholes!

IS2000
01-14-2005, 03:05 AM

Actually I said if it was _my_ wheel on _my_ personal car I would run that wheel, but you need to make your _own_ decision. Please stay out of the potholes!

John, I think I'll just run with them at the track, unless I can get a replacement wheel.

GokuSSJ4
01-14-2005, 10:39 AM

John, I think I'll just run with them at the track, unless I can get a replacement wheel.

get the wheel replace (end of story :P )