PDA

View Full Version : Found missing horsepower

kaane
01-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Few weeks ago I dynoed my car and it was a bit dissapointed, I put down 270Whp 280tq on a Dynojet at harman with following mods.

Works Downpipe
Works 269 Cams
Works P2 Flash
Works Upgraded Throttlebody
Springs / Titanium Retainers
Bushur Catback
Hiflo Cat
MR Blow off Valve
HKS Drop in filter
21psi boost.

So I was kinda pissed, cause some people dyno at 270 with just a catback and a downpipe. So I threw in some more parts, picked up a walbro fuel pump, greddy FMIC and a Injen Intake. Halman RX boost controller. After that the car felt even worse, I was getting fuel cut and it's just felt slow. Couple weeks went by and my clutch failed, started slipping real bad. So I made an appointment at RRE. Dropped my car on Tuesday, Had ACT clutch installed, lightened flywheel and a testpipe. While the car was there I made them look it over, made them do a boost leak, replace all fluids as well.

So I picked up the car today, Tony at RRE found a massive boostleak, cause some dork (aka previous owner, Hi Jan) didnt install a gasket on the elbow comming out of the turbo compressor housing, so It was leaking big time.

So tonight I drove the car after the work, and IT's NOT THE SAME CAR!!! it pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline, butt dyno says atleast 30WHP gained! Feels like a real damn EVO now! Now I will have another dyno session and we shall see what a boost leak will cost you.

Thanks to RRE, for awesome service as always!

<--- Happy Evo Owner!!!

Boosted
01-21-2005, 12:59 AM
nice I was going to say damn dude 270 to the wheels with cams... thats kinda weAk... but I cant wait to see some numbers now good luck :D

leaveit2bevo
01-21-2005, 01:24 AM
dude its Jan I wouldnt expect any different :P

NefblackEvo
01-21-2005, 01:29 AM
the guys at Harman are cool. Make sure you post your numbers when its all said and done. I wonder about my car sometimes too. I just got an appointment with RRE to do some work we'll see.

donatevo
01-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Few weeks ago I dynoed my car and it was a bit dissapointed, I put down 270Whp 280tq on a Dynojet at harman with following mods.

Works Downpipe
Works 269 Cams
Works P2 Flash
Works Upgraded Throttlebody
Springs / Titanium Retainers
Bushur Catback
Hiflo Cat
MR Blow off Valve
HKS Drop in filter
21psi boost.

So I was kinda pissed, cause some people dyno at 270 with just a catback and a downpipe. So I threw in some more parts, picked up a walbro fuel pump, greddy FMIC and a Injen Intake. Halman RX boost controller. After that the car felt even worse, I was getting fuel cut and it's just felt slow. Couple weeks went by and my clutch failed, started slipping real bad. So I made an appointment at RRE. Dropped my car on Tuesday, Had ACT clutch installed, lightened flywheel and a testpipe. While the car was there I made them look it over, made them do a boost leak, replace all fluids as well.

So I picked up the car today, Tony at RRE found a massive boostleak, cause some dork (aka previous owner, Hi Jan) didnt install a gasket on the elbow comming out of the turbo compressor housing, so It was leaking big time.

So tonight I drove the car after the work, and IT's NOT THE SAME CAR!!! it pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline, butt dyno says atleast 30WHP gained! Feels like a real damn EVO now! Now I will have another dyno session and we shall see what a boost leak will cost you.

Thanks to RRE, for awesome service as always!

<--- Happy Evo Owner!!!It is good to know your Evo is ok now. Goodluck on your next dyno session.

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 08:47 AM
if there's one place that'll get it right....it's RRE.

WavMixer
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
I was just at RRE Wednesday afternoon and evening. I saw a few Evos there, which one was yours?

JanSolo
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM

Yeah how could I have missed that? I usually took apart the engine inside and out on a daily basis because I have nothing but time, but somehow overlooked that. ;)

Sorry, I never worked on any car except for simple bolt ons since I am not what would be commonly referred to as "mechanically inclined". At least it has mad power now!

kaane
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Black Evo, L33TEVO licenseplate, with couple works stickers.

kaane
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
it's cool man, I am just happy it runs good now.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
since you added other parts(walbro, injec pipes and FMIC ) did you tune the car with the SAFC ???

kaane
01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
tuning session is next, I am torn between the EMS, UTEC another P2 reflash or an AFC...

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Let me help you decide. For your stuff right now, AFC is definitely the best choice. Have RRE tune it for you or employ blak94gsx to help you out. You don't need an AEM for that stuff.

kaane
01-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I know, but for SAFC you need bigger injectors to tune, and injectors + SAFC + tuning is $1000, same price for an utec. Halfway to EMS... plus i am sure this isn't the last mod on the car. Buschur's 20g upgrade is next.

Coolguy949
01-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I know, but for SAFC you need bigger injectors to tune, and injectors + SAFC + tuning is $1000, same price for an utec. Halfway to EMS... plus i am sure this isn't the last mod on the car. Buschur's 20g upgrade is next.

But for the UTEC, EMS and any other fuel management you'll want pump and injectors as well. Might as well get everything then get it tuned once.

kaane
01-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I already got a pump... I am going to dyno it first and see how my AF curve is looking, I'll decide then.

Absinthe
01-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm with Kaane on this the Utec or EMS are more appealing than the safc/injector combo.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 12:35 PM
tuning or adding things to the car is not cheap :?
AFC, injectors and pump (best value for $$$$$) EMS its nice but unless you have big turbo, headwork and other things you dont need it. you can always benefit from it but not need it
if you think spending 1000.00 on the AFC with other items its expensive wait till you see what the price is with the EMS
unit with out UEGO 1600.00
w/ UEGO add 400.00
then you need sensors(to run speed density) which are another 200.00
tuning can be around 400.00 + dyno time 200.00
+ 200 for installation

depends what unit you choose you are looking at near 2600.00-3000.00 for everything, things add up quickly :?

an thats with out including injectors and pump so add a bit more

kaane
01-21-2005, 12:41 PM
I know EMS pricing, got the nice cost breakdown from Mike at RRE, so it's definetly the last option right now, I could afford it maybe 2 months down the line. Utec looks appealing, Harman has it for $1050 installed and tuned. SAFC is still a good option, but no timing control. What sucks tho I already have a P2 flash which I would have to waste (flash to stock) to install the utec to have no issues. On the other hand SAFC + P2 might work just fine.... choices choices... How's the driveability with 720cc and a AFC on an EVO? I remember when I had my 1G DSM with 720cc and AFC it would not idle for shit, and always ran like shit down low.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I know EMS pricing, got the nice cost breakdown from Mike at RRE, so it's definetly the last option right now, I could afford it maybe 2 months down the line. Utec looks appealing, Harman has it for $1050 installed and tuned. SAFC is still a good option, but no timing control. What sucks tho I already have a P2 flash which I would have to waste (flash to stock) to install the utec to have no issues. On the other hand SAFC + P2 might work just fine.... choices choices... How's the driveability with 720cc and a AFC on an EVO? I remember when I had my 1G DSM with 720cc and AFC it would not idle for shit, and always ran like shit down low.

no issues what so ever when running 720cc and AFC as long as you have some one that knows how to tune it (which is always important)
you are more then half way with the AFC set up already :P
you have the AFC and pump all you need is injectors and tuning.

kaane
01-21-2005, 12:54 PM
what I remember happening before is that when you cut the maf signal a lot, the ecu advances the timing too fast down low and starts to knock, in turn reducing your timing to zip. Anyone notice that on an EVO?

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 12:59 PM
there several peeps running a similar set up which we call Dr. Grey stage 1 and they have no issues. Take a look at Kent J car, kicks @$$ and had no problems what so ever at the shoot out , Robi use to run his AFC and flash with 660cc with no problems either. Then he decided to change to EMS since he decided to run a bigger turbo and other things as well.
You also have other peeps running AFC with bigger injectors and use a data logger to check issues and so far no problems what so ever.
Even bevo is running the AFC, P2, injectors, pump, intake, turbo back and MBC he is very happy with his set up.

kaane
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
hmm! time to do some shopping :)

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
definitely go with the AFC, I've had flash, utec, and now ems....I can say for your mods....ur better off with afc for simplicity and performance. And yes, kent jordan is the ultimate testament to how far you can get on Dr. Gray Stage 1. If you have a problem with pricing for injectors, you can always find some used injectors @ a substantial saving.

kaane
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
now question is 720cc or 660cc? Should I stick to Denso's? or any injector will do?

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 01:21 PM
now question is 720cc or 660cc? Should I stick to Denso's? or any injector will do?

go with the denso 720cc that way later on once you upgrade to the 20g you will not need to change injectors again.

you can also purchase the denso 720cc from rob (coolguy 949 ) i believe he has them in stock. check out www.myevostore.com

gormless
01-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I know EMS pricing, got the nice cost breakdown from Mike at RRE, so it's definetly the last option right now, I could afford it maybe 2 months down the line. Utec looks appealing, Harman has it for $1050 installed and tuned. SAFC is still a good option, but no timing control. What sucks tho I already have a P2 flash which I would have to waste (flash to stock) to install the utec to have no issues. .

You don't have to flash back to stock when using the UTEC. If you set it to Map 0 ( which is pass through mode ) you will be running your P2 flash map. If you program a Map into say Map 1, you set the UTEC to run Map 1 and the P2 flash has NO effect.

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 01:30 PM
definitely the 720s like goku says. This will help you out down the line in case you got the itch to mod again.....and you might as well since they're the same price as the 660s -_-

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 01:32 PM
and yes, definitely densos on the injector choice as well. They have a clean record of good spray patterns and aren't known to fail. If you get other injectors, make sure you do a flow test on them to make sure they're within spec. Good luck.

CT9A RS
01-21-2005, 01:47 PM
i knew there was something up with ur car when u posted ur numbers. I wanna see the numbers u throw down now.

tama_mog
01-21-2005, 01:53 PM
His #'s actually seemed alright to me. Assumin the works p2 tune was pretty much dead on, that's about the same thing I was making back then when I had almost identical mods....but then my car wasn't exactly the example of perfectly running either. The works cams just dun work as well as the HKS but do make a bit more midrange I've noticed.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 02:00 PM
you figure the 269/269 cams have more duration then the HKS 264/264 and would have alot more top end . We will see when you get your car tune and dyno again.

kaane
01-21-2005, 02:34 PM
So who wants to help me install SAFC2 and injectors? Yo rob! help!

Also what's best place to buy both from? I called up old contact at Dynamic Autosports and I can buy injectors + SAFC2 for $680 any better deals out there?

kaane
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
nevermind :), called tuning technologies and getting 720cc injectors, AFC2 installed and tuned on sunday. I will post some dynosheets when I get back.