PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you wax your car?

Macky
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
just out of sheer morbid curiosity.

i for one have waxed her 2x during the past 20 days (havent had the MR for a month) while the red evo is due for another waxing within the next week.

Skiracer
01-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I wax mine about once every 2 months. I wax monthly during ski season though due to road salt.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 01:36 PM
damn !!!! :shock: i need to wax my car more often. Had the car claybar about 1 month ago. I think is time for me to look for some good wax , macky what can you recommend ??? and if you can post a link to go along with it, also what rags and all the things i need.

Skiracer
01-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I use Meguiar's NXT Generation® Tech Wax
its a 100% synthetic wax and supposedly lasts longer than carnuba wax based waxes. Very easy to apply and easier to remove than carnuba based waxes. Leaves my blue car very dark and shiny...

CT9A RS
01-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I use Meguiars Gold Class car wash. wash it with a wool mitt. I use a combination of The Absorber and terry cloth towels to dry my car with. And then i use Meguiars Gold class wax to wax it down. N then i have lint free detailing towels to finish it off with.

I havent actually waxed the evo yet i know im bad. I hopefully will today we'll see.

EVO_RPM
01-21-2005, 02:11 PM
I use Zaino. I've was using meguiars but it didn't seem to last as long as the Zaino. I wax about once every 2 months because its hard to find the time since it takes about 8 hrs just to do it. I like to do it perfect and take my time.

- Rich

gofaster87
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
damn !!!! :shock: i need to wax my car more often. Had the car claybar about 1 month ago. I think is time for me to look for some good wax , macky what can you recommend ??? and if you can post a link to go along with it, also what rags and all the things i need.

Meguirs tech wax would be perfect for you Tom but you may need to do some cleaning prep. Cotton diapers and micro fiber cloths are good to use.

leaveit2bevo
01-21-2005, 02:43 PM

I bought a orbital waxer it makes waxing a lot faster and puts down a perfect coat

gofaster87
01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Beaver, you dont wax anything. How would you know?

Macky
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM

i honestly would recommend eagle one nano wax over the meguire's wax. ive tested the meguire's and it still isnt as good as eagle one's nano wax. im anal about the car and for me the tech wax still leaves enough residue to drive me stir crazy. the eagle one nano wax even comes with its own microfiber cloth for buffing the car (which produces excellent results).

first you do is obviously wash the car, then to dry it i use automotive chamois. during drying i spray on Rain X spray wax (bottle). you spray it on while the car is wet, then wipe it dry. for best results, spray and wipe one panel at a time, since the rain x wax dries up quickly but produces an incredible shine.

then its off with a claybar (if i am to clay the car after washing, that is). i recommend mother's clay bar. see sample below:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album131/3_4_a.sized.jpg

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album131/gto_eye.sized.jpg

those were taken off my 95 3000GT just after i clayed the car using the above mentioned product. its very good. im yet to take pics of the MR, hopefully by this weekend if the time is right. as it stands its very good (wax) and i dont hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

dlieu959
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I've been using some JDM wax from autobacs :bigglasses: . Its 100% brazillian carnuba wax that is supposedly some good ish. I usually have to clay my car frequently because the rear bumper gets stained from the exhaust.

gofaster87
01-21-2005, 02:59 PM
I tried the nano wax and didnt impress me. The tech wax leaves a deeper shine just doesnt last very long. Its not bad for swirl removing but there are much better out there. Residue? You must have been putting it on to thick, Ive never had that problem. Honestly the best way to remove swirls and have perfect shine is use a buffer(with 3m foam pad) and the meguirs machine glaze which can be bought at any body/paint store that supplies detailing equipment. Most store bought waxes are crap anyways. The professional waxes are pricier but they actually do the job right. I had to detail too many classics that went to show.

i honestly would recommend eagle one nano wax over the meguire's wax. ive tested the meguire's and it still isnt as good as eagle one's nano wax. im anal about the car and for me the tech wax still leaves enough residue to drive me stir crazy. the eagle one nano wax even comes with its own microfiber cloth for buffing the car (which produces excellent results).

first you do is obviously wash the car, then to dry it i use automotive chamois. during drying i spray on Rain X spray wax (bottle). you spray it on while the car is wet, then wipe it dry. for best results, spray and wipe one panel at a time, since the rain x wax dries up quickly but produces an incredible shine.

then its off with a claybar (if i am to clay the car after washing, that is). i recommend mother's clay bar. see sample below:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album131/3_4_a.sized.jpg

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album131/gto_eye.sized.jpg

those were taken off my 95 3000GT just after i clayed the car using the above mentioned product. its very good. im yet to take pics of the MR, hopefully by this weekend if the time is right. as it stands its very good (wax) and i dont hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

Macky
01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
yes i do put on a thick coat (at least 2x layers) :wink:

leaveit2bevo
01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
why do you put on a spray on wax then clay bar?

CT9A RS
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
why do you put on a spray on wax then clay bar?

Macky
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
i mainly do it to help dry the car quickly. because generally when you dry the car, water spots are still unavoidable, this helps prevent that from happening.

donatevo
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Waxing once a month. I've seen Macky's waxed evo, deep shine and no crappy residue. I'll use the eagle one nano wax next month.

gofaster87
01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
yes i do put on a thick coat (at least 2x layers) :wink:

Thats why you have residue. Tech wax specifically says thin coat.

leaveit2bevo
01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
i mainly do it to help dry the car quickly. because generally when you dry the car, water spots are still unavoidable, this helps prevent that from happening.

ya but your taking it off right away with the clay bar, which is also going to take out water spots.

gofaster87
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM

ya but your taking it off right away with the clay bar, which is also going to take out water spots.

There are 2 ways to claybar a car. One is to use a lubricating agent such as a spray wax and the other is to use a hose using a liberal amount of water the whole time. There will be no water spots either way. unless your out in the sun. Not sure that is what you guys are talking about.

Macky
01-21-2005, 06:54 PM
im just anal about the car. i overdo maintenance, especially exterior-wise :wink:

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2005, 08:22 PM
this should be the official " guide lines about wax your car or how to wax your car " thread

Macky
01-22-2005, 10:42 AM
treat me to lunch and ill wax your car 8)

Boosted
01-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I do once a week and clay bar atleast twice a month

GokuSSJ4
01-23-2005, 02:42 AM

i might take your offer macky :wink:

leaveit2bevo
01-23-2005, 12:46 PM

you wax once a week? you must have carpal tunnel syndrome by now.

gofaster87
01-23-2005, 12:47 PM

i might take your offer macky :wink:

You lazy bastard, do it yourself.

gofaster87
01-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Once a week is better than once in a lifetime beaver.

Macky
01-23-2005, 02:10 PM

keeps me in shape, its my version of working out :shock: :wink:

WhiteEvoRS
01-29-2005, 04:31 PM
i wax my car twice a month!

hksevo8
01-29-2005, 07:41 PM
is there a point when waxing too much can be harmful to your paint? I have heard from more than one automotive source that you should never wax your car within the first year of it being manufactured because it can disrupt the actual hardening/drying process of the paint. Some people have even told me you can strip away the clear coat by waxing within the first 12 months. I wash my car every week and have not had it waxed yet in the first year of owning it. It still looks like new....

Blaze
01-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I've been known to wax my car on a daily basis. (not a full wax...just a top coat).

I clay bar down to the clear coat once or twice per month and start from scratch. It's not that it really needs it....I just have too much time on my hands and enjoy doing it.

Blaze

Boosted
01-30-2005, 03:42 AM

keeps me in shape, its my version of working out :shock: :wink:

well its obviously not working hehe go drink some protein

Boosted
01-30-2005, 03:44 AM
I wash my car every week and have not had it waxed yet in the first year of owning it. It still looks like new....

sorry rick we aren't all as cool as you are

CT9A RS
01-30-2005, 03:50 AM

Wax on Wax off.

I really need to start taking care of my car. Im going to wash n clay bar n wax this week. N even get into the engine bay.

NipponHamFighters
01-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I have never waxed my car since I got it about 2 years ago

500whp
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
NEVER

CT9A RS
01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
i got into my engine bay a bit today with a wet towel and then i waxed the visible areas of the valve cover. Looks much cleaner would take pics but i dont have a digital camera.

WavMixer
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
treat me to lunch and ill wax your car 8)You're on! Will you settle for a Micky D happy meal?

Boosted
01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
treat me to lunch and ill wax your car 8)You're on! Will you settle for a Micky D happy meal?

just up the quality the portion is perfect for macky though :D hehe

EvolveMR
02-09-2005, 04:30 AM

where you wanna eat?
:D