PDA

View Full Version : EOC review of the harness bar

gt40
01-27-2005, 03:20 AM
http://www.evolutionownersclub.com/html/trackworthy.html

alex_alex
01-27-2005, 03:34 AM
1) are harness bars a bit unsafe without a full-on cage?

2) are harnesses in general a bit unsafe without a full-on cage?

3) which sparco harness is that? would you mind me asking you where you got that one from?

Senshi
01-27-2005, 04:16 AM
the harness bar is great it also makes for a great "oh shit bar" for the rear passengers. :D but seriously having harnesses really hold u in place alot more in cornering.

Absinthe
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM

2) are harnesses in general a bit unsafe without a full-on cage?

3) which sparco harness is that? would you mind me asking you where you got that one from?

there has been consistent debate on this issue, generally I think it is the case that harnesses can be unsafe with out a cage, but seeing what a few shiny side down Evo's look like I dont thinlk the roof crush fears are as well founded as people claim. So its probably a push.

bogey8
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
link doesn't work for me???

rammsteinmatt
01-27-2005, 12:00 PM

seems to be the case for me as well

trannb
01-27-2005, 12:51 PM

I would not trust my life to rod ends, especially those that aren't loaded in tension. At first, I had a design that loaded rod ends in a similar fashion. Carroll Smith told me it was a bad idea. All of the scrutineers told me it was a bad idea. FEA told me it was a bad idea. I dismissed it because it was much easier to fabricate the part using rod ends. It was much easier to adjust the part using rod ends... then they failed. No thank you.

kipper215
01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
the bar is a highly debatable issue. it looks good. adds bling to the car. you can hook your harness to it. down side is the price. it's dangerous for rear passengers. no overhead protection. relies on bolts to hold it in place.

leaveit2bevo
01-27-2005, 01:14 PM

same

trannb
01-27-2005, 01:25 PM
the bar is a highly debatable issue. it looks good. adds bling to the car. you can hook your harness to it. down side is the price. it's dangerous for rear passengers. no overhead protection. relies on bolts to hold it in place.

Bolts aren't really the problem. Replace the diagonal bars with fixed length bars and the real problem with the bar disappears (the problem with rollover protection obviously still exists).

rammsteinmatt
01-27-2005, 01:40 PM
ive noticed that many people say that the harness bar is unsafe because (what i have gathered) is that there are some components on it that could be better and the mounting. well the mounting is the stock seatbelt posisions, so im thinking of the mounting points fail because the bolt breaks or whatever then the OEM seatbelts would have a broken bolt too. then people talk about roll over protection, im thinkin if you are lookin for that then you need a roll cage because the harness bar was specifically designed to allow racing harnesses to be used while still leaving the back seats open. if you are looking for something other than this IMO you shouldnt get the harness bar because you will invariably hold it accountable for something that its not suppose to do

kipper215
01-27-2005, 01:44 PM
i wonder what sparco has to say about this. :?: :?

Boosted
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
the harness bar is great it also makes for a great "oh shit bar" for the rear passengers. :D but seriously having harnesses really hold u in place alot more in cornering.

yea that way when you rear end someone in an attempt to make them use it as an "oh shit" handle they can shatter all the bones in there face as they smash into the bar woohoo

Senshi
01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
my coment about the "oh shit bar" was sarcasm it doesnt really help the rear passengers. one can just hope the seat belt tensioners do there job. the harness bar also makes for a great and secure camera mount.

kipper215
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
my coment about the "oh shit bar" was sarcasm it doesnt really help the rear passengers. one can just hope the seat belt tensioners do there job. the harness bar also makes for a great and secure camera mount.

that's what UltraFlip uses his for.

rammsteinmatt
01-30-2005, 07:27 PM

now that the link works i think its the black sparco 4-pt cam lock racing harness.

can someone tell me if those belts from sparco have to be purchased seperately (shoulder belts and lap belt seperate) because thats what the sparco website makes it look like

nothere
01-30-2005, 07:48 PM
real problem with four point harnesses is when you hit something hard, your body slides under the lap belts. as the belts ride up on your belly and lower chest they tend to take your gizzards with them. sort of a mechanical hari kari.

stroth (sp)4 point, makes a specialy sewn shoulder belt that allows your chest to move forward and keeps you from sliding under the lap belt. better still would be the willans six point that wraps around your uppper legs, does not need the seat slot, the leg belts return along side the lap belts.

but the real problem is that for street driving the harness resticts your movement too much, can't turn around to back up, can't pick up a cd on the floor while your driving etc.
I have a five point pyrotect mounted on a roll bar, but use the standard shoulder belt unless I'm on the track.

nothere
01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
you can get the belts from sparco ala cart or as a package. you can get the same thing on ebay IF you watch what you buy.

DrMerl
01-31-2005, 11:24 PM
I had Turner Motorsport here in SD say those bars were a bad idea, need something connected to the rear tray. He mentioned something about spine compression problems in an accident. Go with a full cage if you want to Bling on the street with a harness.

Wasnt there a device that clamped down on the OE seatbelt so it would lock you in place?

IIRC you can jerk the seatbelt and do a temporary lock on it, used to do this in my bimmer. Havent tried the Mitsu belts for this feature.

Boosted
01-31-2005, 11:36 PM

that's what UltraFlip uses his for.

yea ultraflips set up is sweet

Boosted
01-31-2005, 11:41 PM
I had Turner Motorsport here in SD say those bars were a bad idea, need something connected to the rear tray. He mentioned something about spine compression problems in an accident. Go with a full cage if you want to Bling on the street with a harness.

Wasnt there a device that clamped down on the OE seatbelt so it would lock you in place?

IIRC you can jerk the seatbelt and do a temporary lock on it, used to do this in my bimmer. Havent tried the Mitsu belts for this feature.

no the idea of a harness bar is to try and help eliminate the chance of spinal chord compression due to excess amounts of pressure being put onto your shoulders due to the location of mounting when it comes to your shoulder straps. The idea is to put the two shoulder straps parallel with your shoulders and the ground so that in the event of an accident all the energy that is released in an accident is not compressed onto your shoulders but released over a vast surface areas into your chest and shoulders horizontally and not vertically. This is where most people go wrong with mounting harness's by mounting the shoulder straps below your shoulders when you get into an accident the pressure will be released onto the top of your shoulders which causes spinal chord compression.

CT9A RS
02-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Does neone know if the rear deck is strong enough to support the harness. I was thinking say where the rear seat belts mount. Im sorry if this is off the topic but this would probably be a factor into me picking up the harness bar or not.

Knower
02-01-2005, 03:18 AM

no the idea of a harness bar is to try and help eliminate the chance of spinal chord compression due to excess amounts of pressure being put onto your shoulders due to the location of mounting when it comes to your shoulder straps. The idea is to put the two shoulder straps parallel with your shoulders and the ground so that in the event of an accident all the energy that is released in an accident is not compressed onto your shoulders but released over a vast surface areas into your chest and shoulders horizontally and not vertically. This is where most people go wrong with mounting harness's by mounting the shoulder straps below your shoulders when you get into an accident the pressure will be released onto the top of your shoulders which causes spinal chord compression.

Theory is different from practice. In practice, many of these harness bars place the straps lower than your shoulders.

trannb
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Does neone know if the rear deck is strong enough to support the harness. I was thinking say where the rear seat belts mount. Im sorry if this is off the topic but this would probably be a factor into me picking up the harness bar or not.

Yes, it is.

CT9A RS
02-02-2005, 02:54 AM

Yes, it is.

Cool now its a matter of, will my harnesses reach that far.