PDA

View Full Version : HKS SSQV Blow off valve aluminum cap

EVOHACHI
01-27-2005, 10:50 PM
I kind of have a wierd question. I bought a HKS SQV blow off valve, installed it, everything worked fine until my car kept stalling. Not like how everybody else describes it, it would stall everytime I stopped, and there was no boost when I pressed the gas. I looked under my hood and found that the aluminum cap that plugged the hole where the old valve use to be had fallen off. Luckily, it fell onto the plastic underbody had caught the cap. So, I installed it once again, and made sure it was REALLY secure. But, surprise, it fell of again. This time it was not recovered. I called HKS to see if they would send me an extra aluminum cap, but they pretty much said that it was an installation error, and wouldn't send me one. The strange thing was the cap was smaller than the clamp on top of the hose that was holding it together. Does anybody know where I can get another alumium cap, or if anybody has one that they don't need? THe people at HKS told me to make one by going to a hardware store and welding a cap onto a metal rod. I'm looking for another alternative that is less of a hassle. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

EvolveMR
01-28-2005, 03:13 AM
I know all about what you are saying. Seems that some parts I bought from HKS that say made for the Evo don't actually fit as well as they could, or include the wrong size parts, etc. I also have the HKS SSQV installed on my evo. The aluminum cap was the right size, but the bolt for the mounting bracket to attach the BOV to the tranny was the wrong size. They had included an M8 bolt but the size of the hole was actually M12 25mm threading. Since the bolt was much bigger the bracket wouldn't fit now since the hole was too small....ugh. So for now I just have the BOV clamped to the hose on the upper I/C pipe ( temporary solution until I buy a new upper I/C pipe with a flange). I know I shoulda bought the version 2 kit but wasn't thinking clearly as it seems.

As far as your problem, what you could do is get a new intake and that would eliminate your problem with the aluminum cap since you will get a new pipe with any decent intake kit, and most of them will have a cap and/or tubing depending on if you are using the stock bypass valve or an aftermarket BOV, like on my HKS Racing suction kit for example.

long winded, but hope it helps you some what. :)

DTunedEvoX
01-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I've gone through 3 HKS SSQV's and I'm VTAing one right now ... I used a PVC cap from Home Depot for .37 cents ... Dosnt melt - fits better - longer that the HKS aluminum intake pipe plug - it just plain works. I bought like 12 of them and gave it out to a couple of my local evo owners and other turbo car type owners.. Works fine.. And has for the past 6 months.

Might want to try that - works for me and several other people - and it wont melt its in there pretty secure ... :wink:

EVOHACHI
01-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try your ideas and see how it works out.

DTunedEvoX
01-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try your ideas and see how it works out.

Let us know how it works out for you ... Works great for me!

pretendo21
01-29-2005, 07:22 AM
i myself have the hks sqv bov, but i have a question. i know it's kind of "off-topic" but are there any downside's (powerloss, lower gas milage, etc) of having an aftermarket blow-off instead of the stock by-pass?

Knower
01-29-2005, 06:27 PM
i myself have the hks sqv bov, but i have a question. i know it's kind of "off-topic" but are there any downside's (powerloss, lower gas milage, etc) of having an aftermarket blow-off instead of the stock by-pass?

If you vent to atmosphere at all, your bov is letting metered air out of the system, which will make your car run rich under these conditions. You may also experience stalling issues. Most of the aftermarket bovs are not even as good as a simple 1g bov.

pretendo21
01-29-2005, 11:16 PM

If you vent to atmosphere at all, your bov is letting metered air out of the system, which will make your car run rich under these conditions. You may also experience stalling issues. Most of the aftermarket bovs are not even as good as a simple 1g bov.

thanks for the help bro. :D

Random_EVO8
01-30-2005, 12:51 AM
same thing happened to me at the drags. freaking thing landed ontop the manifold. tightened the sucker super tight and had no problem since.

Coolguy949
01-30-2005, 01:55 AM
That problem is notorious on the Evo's because the cap isn't sized correctly. I have a special way of making it stay on (BOVBILLY's car had it). You're better off trying to source a greddy cap or find one at home depot.

ScoobySteve
02-07-2005, 05:19 AM

Loss of fuel economy as a result of running rich, since the atmospheric settings is not allowing for recirculation, idling problems, a little bit more rough during shifts, and sometimes stalling problems.

All can be fixed with some form of engine management, tuning, or a recirculation kit. In your case, HKS sells a recirculation fitting that makes the SSQV 100% recirculation, its only 12 bucks or so.

EVO222
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm VTA with my HKS BOV. I also took apart the upper intercooler pipe (the one that has the hose the extent back to the intake) and remove the black rubber hose and reversed the direction of the pipe so the opening is right in front of the battery and I installed the BOV there. The reason the b/c the fitting is very tight where the factory BOV was and the HKS is far bigger and is touching the heat shield. Since I'm running VTA, no need for force the BOV there. I have no problem stalling but has occasional/usual fluttering, other than that, it runs fine .... I'll try to post a pic of my setup...

ScoobySteve
02-08-2005, 04:07 AM
running fuilly atmospheric the HKS SSQV passes the competition when you tune the problems out. It is HARD to surpass the pristine build quality you get from HKS.

-Steve

Knower
02-08-2005, 10:38 AM
running fuilly atmospheric the HKS SSQV passes the competition when you tune the problems out. It is HARD to surpass the pristine build quality you get from HKS.

-Steve

Actually, a stock 1g bov is way cheaper and works just as well if not better. Running atmospheric on an Evo is stupid unless you switch to speed density.

EVOHACHI
02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok, so I made myself a homemade cap this past weekend. Went to Osh's got myself a small "galvanized nipple" and constructed my own cap. It seems to be working pretty well so far, with the exception of the occasional idle dip. We'll see how it goes.

EvolveMR
02-09-2005, 05:14 AM
I love the plumbing dept. It is the only place you can ask for a black nipple and a ball cock without getting slapped across the face.