PDA

View Full Version : Nail on tire's wall

BeeEvo
01-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Got only 5K on the stock Advan. Is there a place to fix it? $230 for one is too much for a new one. Thanks

gofaster87
01-28-2005, 07:35 PM
If its in the sidewall no respectable shop will repair it.

kimletrim
01-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Not only that, but I personally would not feel safe driving with a plug on the sidewall.

Maybe someone has a used one they would sell?

ScoobySteve
01-28-2005, 08:33 PM
If its in the sidewall no respectable shop will repair it.

Agreed, however there are certain instances that if its a small nail that has been embedded in the tire so well, that it makes almost no difference, or pose any potential threat to the tire's performance in the future. Sidewall damage = no good and you're risking some serious problems by allowing it to stay there, or pay someone off to repair a nail in the sidewall. If not, you might be able to get it patched, however, I've had crap luck and somehow, repatched rubbers always fail. I know those Yokohama Advan's are expensive, but I personally don't risk tire failure. No thanks. You get what you pay for.

-Steve

Gear Grinder
01-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I was told by the dealership that these are non repairable tires because of their speed rating. ?

hksevo8
01-29-2005, 07:51 AM
I was told by the dealership that these are non repairable tires because of their speed rating. ?

basically the dealer was trying to sucker you into buying a tire from them. Tire plugs and patches when used in combination are safer. There, is that better. My point is that the dealer misinformed him because of the speed rating that he needed to replace the tire.

gofaster87
01-29-2005, 11:43 AM

basically the dealer was trying to sucker you into buying a tire from them. Tire plugs are safe.

Actually tire plugs are not safe at all. Patches or a combination of patch/plug is the only really safe way to do it. Never use just a plug. You guys need to stop posting misinformation especially on safety issues. I was in the business when I was younger and I ve seen many plugs come out. Patch is the only way to go.

hksevo8
01-29-2005, 06:50 PM
i edited my post to include more information. I was sleepy when I originally posted it.

BMan
01-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Your safest bet is to find someone that can vulcanize patch it. They glue and melt a high-strength patch on the inside of the tire. Even at that, I wouldn't go over 100 for long periods of time.

Macky
01-29-2005, 10:21 PM
actually i see that as an opportunity to get some all season tires, but thats just me :wink:

Gear Grinder
01-29-2005, 10:51 PM

basically the dealer was trying to sucker you into buying a tire from them. Tire plugs and patches when used in combination are safer. There, is that better. My point is that the dealer misinformed him because of the speed rating that he needed to replace the tire.
yes, of course they were. But it did get me thinking about what kind of tire safty issues there are at 120+mph. I would hate for my last thought in this world to be "at least I saved some money".

CT9A RS
01-30-2005, 03:19 AM
yeah fork out the cash for a tire or get a set of all seasons. Its just the safe thing to do. And potentially if u do have problems from the plug/patch in the future the costs could be much higher.

radbrakes
01-30-2005, 01:29 PM

basically the dealer was trying to sucker you into buying a tire from them. Tire plugs are safe.

Actually tire plugs are not safe at all. Patches or a combination of patch/plug is the only really safe way to do it. Never use just a plug. You guys need to stop posting misinformation especially on safety issues. I was in the business when I was younger and I ve seen many plugs come out. Patch is the only way to go.

I totally agree....patch/plug is by far the SAFEST way to patch...but only if the nail was on the 'main' contact patch of the tire (where tire meets road 100% of the time.)

As a former tire installer......I definitely adivse NOT REPAIRING the sidewall puncture. Safety is DEFINITELY and issue.......... even if the nail was on the shoulder of the tire...I wouldn't even repair there either (too much curvature)....

Most patches need a solid flat surfaces to bond to. Basically, once the hole is located, a plug is installed, and the area is grinded down (inside the tire) to roughen it up. A vulcanizing agent is then applied and the patch installed.

Patches are most effective on areas with minimal flexing....Sidewalls flex at every bump....shoulders of the tire are curved...so they are not good contact areas for patching.....

Sorry man....I would definitely say....get a new tire....for your safety, and for the sake of your lovely ride....better to spend a couple bills for peace of mind, then to ghetto-patch ur tire and pray that it works....

good luck

BeeEvo
01-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone. Safety first then peace of mind. So I went out and got a new tire. BTW, I came across this web site: bestusedtires.com and was a little late (sold out) from buying a set of 2 stock Advan tires for $85 plus $45 shipping (the site says the tires have 60%-70% tread life left). Did anyone buy used tires from this kind of store on the internet?

Macky
01-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Safety first then peace of mind.

BTW, I came across this web site: bestusedtires.com and was a little late (sold out) from buying a set of 2 stock Advan tires...Did anyone buy used tires from this kind of store on the internet?

i think you have a double standard going on here :wink:

ScoobySteve
01-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Meh, if I had issue like that, I'd save my three advans, wait and save for a new one, buy some used or junk yard tires and beat the living shit out of them. :)

radbrakes
02-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Safety first then peace of mind.

BTW, I came across this web site: bestusedtires.com and was a little late (sold out) from buying a set of 2 stock Advan tires...Did anyone buy used tires from this kind of store on the internet?

i think you have a double standard going on here :wink:

heh heh....good point....