PDA

View Full Version : the 03 GSR to 05 MR trade-in FAQ

EvoRution
02-05-2005, 03:46 AM
This is a question lots of people ask, and I'm sure there have been other posts on it in the past.. most of them vague. The topic of whether it's worthwile for the diehard early adopters to upgrade from a 2003 GSR to 05 MR has been debated ad nauseum. I'll try to be as specific and objective as possible. I figure I'd put in my 2 cents as i recently did the trade (for other reasons). This is a comparison BETWEEN 2003 MODELS and the MR ONLY - not between various 2005 or 2004 models.

FINANCIAL COSTS (correct me if I'm wrong)

The initial cost is roughly $5k more, but if you do the math right now, you're looking at losses of

- $3 - 6k depending on how much you paid. Current trade in for an 03 is between 23-24k
- $3k in tax/licensing you paid on the 03

So just by trading in the 03, you're already out $6k-$9k. Factor in the interest on the payments you've made so far, and you're in even deeper.

If you're upside down on your loan, then you're out even more money.

So once the car is traded in, the MR costs approx $8k more (this is including tax and license).

If you got your evo in 2003 and 2004, chances are the current interest rate is higher (mine was).. on my purchase, that 1 pt difference will cost me ~$1000 throughout the course of my loan.

Depending on your situation, in the long run this wil be roughly a $15-$20k hit on a car that costs $5k more.

WHAT YOU GET (ON PAPER)

- 6 spd transmission (word has it, not made by mitsu - is it a getrag?)
- Bilstein suspension
- aluminum roof
- lightweight forged BBS gunmetal wheels
- + 5hp, +13 ft/lbs torque
- vortex generator
- MR accessories package
- badging on trunk and center console
- metal shift knob
- metal/faux CF ebrake handle
- metal pedals
- triple gauge set (voltage, oil temp, boost)

WHAT YOU GET (stuff they don't talk a lot about)
- electronic brake force distribution - balances braking force front to rear
- thinner decklid
- aluminum impact beams save 8 lbs, roof saves 8.8 lbs, wheels save 3lbs of unsprung weight on each corner.
- front helical limited slip
- rear LSD
- 6spd assembly has teflon coated cables, wide angle damper used on the clutch that softens the engagement somewhat, tighter bushings around shift gates.
- 10 year powertrain warranty

The little differences I noticed
1. stickers on driverside door indicating tire specifications and ACD instructions
2. center console is slightly different
3. IC sprayer is GONE
4. ACD switch where the foglight switch used to be
5. dimmer switch moved lower
6. foglight switch where dimmer used to be
7. ACD mode indicator on tach for tarmac, gravel, and snow
8. in the place of the IC sprayer reservoir is the fluid reservoir for the ACD system

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
- ride is definitely smoother. Much less jarring, just as precise as before. In the 03, when i cornered moderately hard, there was the slightest hint of understeer. In the MR, the car feels like it just WANTS to rotate. The front LSD and ACD work in concert to give you the feeling that car wants to go where you point it.
- gearbox is a dream come true. Each shift is precise and goes into gear without any drama whatsoever. In the 03 i had the 5th gear grind, but all the other gears didn't engage anywhere near as smooth. Gear noise is also greatly lessened - in the 03 i had moderately loud decel noises and the sound the gearbox made when shifting was very pronouced - sometimes with a loud audible click.
- i haven't broken mine in yet, but straightline grunt is noticeably improved. on paper the torque peaks 500 RPM sooner, and i feel it. The 2003 i had always felt kind of lacking in the power dept down low. I'll have a better impression once I break the MR in and can lay into it a bit more.

Gripes
- Yes, you shift a bit more. I find myself in 4th a lot on city streets where I previously drove in 3rd.
- When I first heard electronically controlled center diff a while back, I immediately thought of Nissan's Super Attessa setup where the car is RWD until you break traction. The ACD in the MR can shift 100% of the torque to the *FRONT*, and only a MAXIMUM of 50% of the torque to the rear for an even 50/50 split. For those who arguably want to do powerslides like the STi boys, this will be a bit harder. I guess I'll know better when I try it myself once it breaks in.
- Despite the weight savings, the MR is a heavier car (130lbs heavier than the 2003 GSR)[/b]
- the triple gauge pack SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. It's small, mounted way low out of view, and backlight doesn't match the rest of the cockpit. Plus the boost gauge is pneumatic and not electronic. BLEAH.

Is it worth it?
I love my MR. I'm in LOVE with this car. The fact that the gearbox doesn't piss me off alone warrants it in my book. Financially, however, it really wasn't worth it. If you don't have a certain level of disposable income I would definitely advise against it. As a commuter and occasional relatively stock track car, the MR can't be beat.

Counterpoint is, that 15-20k will get you muellerized, with nice wheels, put down 500hp, AND still have enough left over to buy a pretty bad ass gaming rig (or redo the floors your house).

Hearsay
PRos in the Long run
- only 1000 made (supposedly), making this car more rare and potentially letting it hold its value slightly better
- graphite colored ones are even rarer (but not that much)

Cons in the long run
- ACD and all associative plumbing/gizmos/what not = more stuff to break down the road
- 6spd gearbox occupies the same amount of space as the previous 5spd gearbox. Some people speculate that certain sacrifices in gear/internal sizing had to be made to squeeze that extra gear in that box.

kimletrim
02-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Nice writeup and quite a sensible evaluation of the true cost of switching to a MR. I already made up my mind that it is not worth it. The additional costs just don't justify the additional/different features. But for those who have the MR, enjoy.

gt40
02-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Nice rational post...

I am glad to see Mitsubishi come out with the MR as it widens the appeal. Anything that gives these amazing cars a bit longer lifespan is a good thing. On the other hand, I would probably get another gsr and make it my own if I was going to do it over again.

For a commuter car to leave stock and have fun, why not if you got the money....

erikgj
02-05-2005, 11:13 AM
This is a question lots of people ask, and I'm sure there have been other posts on it in the past.. most of them vague. The topic of whether it's worthwile for the diehard early adopters to upgrade from a 2003 GSR to 05 MR has been debated ad nauseum. I'll try to be as specific and objective as possible. I figure I'd put in my 2 cents as i recently did the trade (for other reasons). This is a comparison BETWEEN 2003 MODELS and the MR ONLY - not between various 2005 or 2004 models.

FINANCIAL COSTS (correct me if I'm wrong)

The initial cost is roughly $5k more, but if you do the math right now, you're looking at losses of

- $3 - 6k depending on how much you paid. Current trade in for an 03 is between 23-24k
- $3k in tax/licensing you paid on the 03

So just by trading in the 03, you're already out $6k-$9k. Factor in the interest on the payments you've made so far, and you're in even deeper.

If you're upside down on your loan, then you're out even more money.

So once the car is traded in, the MR costs approx $8k more (this is including tax and license).

If you got your evo in 2003 and 2004, chances are the current interest rate is higher (mine was).. on my purchase, that 1 pt difference will cost me ~$1000 throughout the course of my loan.

Depending on your situation, in the long run this wil be roughly a $15-$20k hit on a car that costs $5k more.

WHAT YOU GET (ON PAPER)

- 6 spd transmission (word has it, not made by mitsu - is it a getrag?)
- Bilstein suspension
- aluminum roof
- lightweight forged BBS gunmetal wheels
- + 5hp, +13 ft/lbs torque
- vortex generator
- MR accessories package
- badging on trunk and center console
- metal shift knob
- metal/faux CF ebrake handle
- metal pedals
- triple gauge set (voltage, oil temp, boost)

WHAT YOU GET (stuff they don't talk a lot about)
- electronic brake force distribution - balances braking force front to rear
- thinner decklid
- aluminum impact beams save 8 lbs, roof saves 8.8 lbs, wheels save 3lbs of unsprung weight on each corner.
- front helical limited slip
- rear LSD
- 6spd assembly has teflon coated cables, wide angle damper used on the clutch that softens the engagement somewhat, tighter bushings around shift gates.

The little differences I noticed
1. stickers on driverside door indicating tire specifications and ACD instructions
2. center console is slightly different
3. IC sprayer is GONE
4. ACD switch where the foglight switch used to be
5. dimmer switch moved lower
6. foglight switch where dimmer used to be
7. ACD mode indicator on tach for tarmac, gravel, and snow
8. in the place of the IC sprayer reservoir is the fluid reservoir for the ACD system

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
- ride is definitely smoother. Much less jarring, just as precise as before. In the 03, when i cornered moderately hard, there was the slightest hint of understeer. In the MR, the car feels like it just WANTS to rotate. The front LSD and ACD work in concert to give you the feeling that car wants to go where you point it.
- gearbox is a dream come true. Each shift is precise and goes into gear without any drama whatsoever. In the 03 i had the 5th gear grind, but all the other gears didn't engage anywhere near as smooth. Gear noise is also greatly lessened - in the 03 i had moderately loud decel noises and the sound the gearbox made when shifting was very pronouced - sometimes with a loud audible click.
- i haven't broken mine in yet, but straightline grunt is noticeably improved. on paper the torque peaks 500 RPM sooner, and i feel it. The 2003 i had always felt kind of lacking in the power dept down low. I'll have a better impression once I break the MR in and can lay into it a bit more.

Gripes
- Yes, you shift a bit more. I find myself in 4th a lot on city streets where I previously drove in 3rd.
- When I first heard electronically controlled center diff a while back, I immediately thought of Nissan's Super Attessa setup where the car is RWD until you break traction. The ACD in the MR can shift 100% of the torque to the *FRONT*, and only a MAXIMUM of 50% of the torque to the rear for an even 50/50 split. For those who arguably want to do powerslides like the STi boys, this will be a bit harder. I guess I'll know better when I try it myself once it breaks in.
- Despite the weight savings, the MR is a heavier car (130lbs heavier than the 2003 GSR)[/b]
- the triple gauge pack SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. It's small, mounted way low out of view, and backlight doesn't match the rest of the cockpit. Plus the boost gauge is pneumatic and not electronic. BLEAH.

Is it worth it?
I love my MR. I'm in LOVE with this car. The fact that the gearbox doesn't piss me off alone warrants it in my book. Financially, however, it really wasn't worth it. If you don't have a certain level of disposable income I would definitely advise against it. As a commuter and occasional relatively stock track car, the MR can't be beat.

Counterpoint is, that 15-20k will get you muellerized, with nice wheels, put down 500hp, AND still have enough left over to buy a pretty bad ass gaming rig (or redo the floors your house).

Hearsay
PRos in the Long run
- only 1000 made (supposedly), making this car more rare and potentially letting it hold its value slightly better
- graphite colored ones are even rarer (but not that much)

Cons in the long run
- ACD and all associative plumbing/gizmos/what not = more stuff to break down the road
- 6spd gearbox occupies the same amount of space as the previous 5spd gearbox. Some people speculate that certain sacrifices in gear/internal sizing had to be made to squeeze that extra gear in that box.

I would agree with most of your points.

But only the 05 RS gets the thinner rear deck sheet metal. The rear LSD is still the same 1.5 way mechanical locker that all US Evo's have. The 1000 - 1200 MRs is true.

The ACD has been reliable over the last 4 years. Although the rumor keeps going around that the six-speed is weaker than the 5 speed. Nobody ever supports it with any facts.

The other benefit is the free maintenance period.

The MR power slides very well also.

Several '03 owners have who have driven my MR have all said that the engine seems smoother too. I know it is smoother than my VII. I wonder if you noticed it? The JDM and UK MRs do have a revised balanced shaft maybe the '05 got the new shaft.

tlcrox
02-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Excellent comparison! Having driven VIIIs for the last 2 years and now driving an MR, the MR is clearly superior in almost every aspect to the VIII. I love driving to MR.

In addition to the 10yr/100,000 powertrain, you also get a 5yr/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty, 5 yr roadside asst., and 4yr free scheduled maintenance. That alone is probably a $2000 upgrade over an 03.

I agree on the guage package location....almost worthless. I did recently see an Evo with the radio and guages switched. This was a much better set up. I will probably do this sometime.

In the value transaction, you must also realize that you are upgrading your car two years. Down the road, when you sell it, you will obviously get more money for an 05 MR than an 03 VIII. Mitsubishi in fact only made 1000 (give or take a few) MRs. This alone should help it hold value.

Given the choice of spending $15,000 on your 03 or the money to upgrade to an 05, it really depends on what your want from your car. If you want to go racing, that's one thing, but don't expect to get much of that investment back. If you want a daily driver and want to get out of the car in a couple of years, you will get more of your money back.

leaveit2bevo
02-05-2005, 01:30 PM
from all these 03 vs mr posts it seems like all you MR guys are insecure about trading up and have to explain you rational to everybody.

tlcrox
02-05-2005, 01:39 PM
If cost is no issue, the MR is clearly superior to the VIII. I don't think it is a case of rationalization. Everyone I have spoken to who has gone from an 03 to an MR like the MR better.

EvoRution
02-05-2005, 01:45 PM
including me! Thanks Tom! That was an incredible deal you gave me. I was thinking to myself "nah.. Tom won't go for it.. I'll just keep my 03" .. then BAM.

Trading up will always cost you. But going with HB the way I did, if I were to ever do it, that was best time/place/way to do it.

If cost is no issue, the MR is clearly superior to the VIII. I don't think it is a case of rationalization. Everyone I have spoken to who has gone from an 03 to an MR like the MR better.

EvoRution
02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
i just got tired of reading all these posts about people wondering if they should do it or not.. i just compiled a whole list of reasons why and why not.

Maybe you're the one with the "cognitive dissonance" (whatever the hell that means, I've just seen you beat that term to death - j/k) :)

Not insecure at all. The wife is pissed that I won't let her drive it though. It's ok because she has an STI on order.

from all these 03 vs mr posts it seems like all you MR guys are insecure about trading up and have to explain you rational to everybody.

wilson1
02-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Congrats!
MR is indeed smoother and torquer than the 03's

Macky
02-05-2005, 03:38 PM
imo people who just cant justify the MR are going to end up modding the crap outta their evo anyways - while its not a bad idea, as a daily driver and for other more practical reasons, that isnt something i could live with.

put it this way, the MR is more of a good balance, dare i say compromise, of everything you could want in an Evo.

if you plan to mod the car anyway, spend that additional 7 grand on mods and make the car faster than the MR. there is no denying the Evos tuning potential anyway, and you will end up with a better car.

that said, it then boils down to personal preference. i cant drive 15-30 miles every day in traffic, to and from work, plus school, on a more jarring ride and peaky off-boost performance of a highly tuned 4G63 engine. i cant and wont live with a lumpy idle, bare bones interior, ultra stiff JIC suspension, rattle-prone ride and low gas milage. since i can overcome all those with the MR, and still have a pretty reasonable fuel economy and all around good performance, for me at least, thats $7000 well spent.

8)

EVOcrazy
02-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I might add that supposedly the Evo IX will have what is in the MR now, plus some. I believe the IX was scheduled for 2006?

I know someone will say future models are just speculation until it is put into production but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth since we are discussing the benefits of the MR over the GSR.

:D

Macky
02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
I might add that supposedly the Evo IX will have what is in the MR now, plus some. I believe the IX was scheduled for 2006?

I know someone will say future models are just speculation until it is put into production but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth since we are discussing the benefits of the MR over the GSR.

9 will have 3 models. one of which will have the MR's features. it will have anywhere from 280-300 hp on one model, the RS wil still be there, plus the standard mid model. then there will be the high zoot one, (could be Evo GT, who knows?) that would have teh aluminum roof, VG, BBS, ACD, maybe S-AYC2 and more.

that said it isnt an MR :wink: and ive posted it for the longest time almost over and over - the MR's features arent exclusive. meaning, eventually lower grade and future models will have its features.

it just so happens they debuted on the MR. thats it.

GokuSSJ4
02-05-2005, 06:52 PM
imo people who just cant justify the MR are going to end up modding the crap outta their evo anyways - while its not a bad idea, as a daily driver and for other more practical reasons, that isnt something i could live with.

put it this way, the MR is more of a good balance, dare i say compromise, of everything you could want in an Evo.

if you plan to mod the car anyway, spend that additional 7 grand on mods and make the car faster than the MR. there is no denying the Evos tuning potential anyway, and you will end up with a better car.

that said, it then boils down to personal preference. i cant drive 15-30 miles every day in traffic, to and from work, plus school, on a more jarring ride and peaky off-boost performance of a highly tuned 4G63 engine. i cant and wont live with a lumpy idle, bare bones interior, ultra stiff JIC suspension, rattle-prone ride and low gas milage. since i can overcome all those with the MR, and still have a pretty reasonable fuel economy and all around good performance, for me at least, thats $7000 well spent.

8)

you can have all of the above on a daily driven car :roll: having near 350-370hp is more fun then you realize, having a car that out performs an evo with a stock suspension and about the same ride quality its worth every penny. Can't wait till i have the chance to have the quaife front LSD, to improve the machine. Which you call not so daily driven friendly (In your Opinion or your taste) I dont know from what world of performance you come from but to me this is the most fun i have ever had. The JIC suspension tune properly its worth every penny on a daily driven car. Having a lumpy idle its nothing to be worry about while you are stock in traffic :roll:

gofaster87
02-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Hmm, seems my car idles perfect, no jerkiness, good gas mileage when not putting my foot into it and has full interior with AC. With all this in mind this car is a 480 whp car on 100 octane and 550+whp on race gas. A car doesnt have to be a fully prepped race car to be fast. You also have to realize some of us dont give a rats ass about warranty becasue my car is beyond that. One last point, my car is modded to the point that, to me, an MR is worthless. The ACD and 6 speed is the only thing Im missing(Big deal) I can live with it. These threads are worthless. Buy whatever car pleases you and if it means taking a large hit in finances thenthat is your business. Lets talk about some more worthwhile like Gokus poor English or Beavers bad attitude.

8)

EVOcrazy
02-05-2005, 08:52 PM

9 will have 3 models. one of which will have the MR's features. it will have anywhere from 280-300 hp on one model, the RS wil still be there, plus the standard mid model. then there will be the high zoot one, (could be Evo GT, who knows?) that would have teh aluminum roof, VG, BBS, ACD, maybe S-AYC2 and more.

that said it isnt an MR :wink: and ive posted it for the longest time almost over and over - the MR's features arent exclusive. meaning, eventually lower grade and future models will have its features.

it just so happens they debuted on the MR. thats it.
I'm not sure if you're for or against what I'm saying. But, your statement that the MR features will eventually make it to lower grade and future models just makes my point that (for me at least) it's better to wait it out and not trade in my '03 GSR for an MR right now. :)

Macky
02-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Lets talk about some more worthwhile like Gokus poor English or Beavers bad attitude.

im with ya on that one :wink:

Macky
02-06-2005, 03:13 AM
you can have all of the above on a daily driven car :roll: having near 350-370hp is more fun then you realize, having a car that out performs an evo with a stock suspension and about the same ride quality its worth every penny. Can't wait till i have the chance to have the quaife front LSD, to improve the machine. Which you call not so daily driven friendly (In your Opinion or your taste) I dont know from what world of performance you come from but to me this is the most fun i have ever had. The JIC suspension tune properly its worth every penny on a daily driven car. Having a lumpy idle its nothing to be worry about while you are stock in traffic :roll:

like i said, personal preference. as much fun as it may be (i know it is), its just not my thing. good enough for the street, good enough for me. i dont plan to see any track time (and dont have the time for it anyway, realistically speaking) so in turn that throws the same question back to those that mod the car for track use:

why spend $XXX amount of money on a setup i will never use to its full potential anyway?

sure i have no doubts about the awesome power gains and handling ability tuning an Evo would bring you, but its just something i will never use to its full potential anyway, so why spend the money for it? the stock MR gives ample amounts of everything i look for. modding it to the tits wont do me any good since all those would be just a waste of money for someone (like me) who will almost never go to the track. simple as that.

then again, this recurring question/issue topic is a double edged sword that can be asked both ways. so i guess that should be the cue to drop the subject :wink:

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2005, 04:20 AM

like i said, personal preference. as much fun as it may be (i know it is), its just not my thing. good enough for the street, good enough for me. i dont plan to see any track time (and dont have the time for it anyway, realistically speaking) so in turn that throws the same question back to those that mod the car for track use:

why spend $XXX amount of money on a setup i will never use to its full potential anyway?

sure i have no doubts about the awesome power gains and handling ability tuning an Evo would bring you, but its just something i will never use to its full potential anyway, so why spend the money for it? the stock MR gives ample amounts of everything i look for. modding it to the tits wont do me any good since all those would be just a waste of money for someone (like me) who will almost never go to the track. simple as that.

then again, this recurring question/issue topic is a double edged sword that can be asked both ways. so i guess that should be the cue to drop the subject :wink:

yes it should, because the next thing would be; why buy another evo ?? if 1. you dont plan to track the car
2. it looks like your old white one
3. you will not reach the full potentital of the car (while driving the car on the street)
4. taking a 7k lost that you will never put to use
and if you call using the ACD + front LSD to use on the street while turning 10mph then i have a 550whp on stock turbo -91 octane
like sam said it , posts like this are worthless :?

alex_alex
02-06-2005, 05:33 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares4.jpg

Macky
02-06-2005, 10:43 AM
and if you call using the ACD + front LSD to use on the street while turning 10mph then i have a 550whp on stock turbo -91 octane
like sam said it , posts like this are worthless :?

exactly

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 12:01 PM

8)

Goku's orignal Evo price - $30,000 (aprox.)
Goku's dollars spent on mods - $5,000 (conservative guess)
Goku's warranty status w/his mods - void (just a guess)
Owning a stock MR (for the same money) with a 10/10 powertrain warranty and free scheduled maintenance - PRICELESS!

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2005, 12:23 PM

8)

Goku's orignal Evo price - $30,000 (aprox.)
Goku's dollars spent on mods - $5,000 (conservative guess)
Goku's warranty status w/his mods - void (just a guess)
Owning a stock MR (for the same money) with a 10/10 powertrain warranty and free scheduled maintenance - PRICELESS!

an the moment you track your car (which i know you won't) its out the window. what good is for you to have a 10 warranty when we dont even know how long mitsu will last , oh an BTW with the way you guys change cars i dont think you will keep a 10yr old car. :P
you guys will trade the damn thing for the newest edition out there, i'm sure if they ever release an evo with SAYC you guys will be the first to trade your car. I guess some one has to keep mitsu alive.

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 01:06 PM
an the moment you track your car (which i know you won't) its out the window. what good is for you to have a 10 warranty when we dont even know how long mitsu will last , oh an BTW with the way you guys change cars i dont think you will keep a 10yr old car. :P
you guys will trade the damn thing for the newest edition out there, i'm sure if they ever release an evo with SAYC you guys will be the first to trade your car. I guess some one has to keep mitsu alive.

That's the best you can come up with after getting owned? That's weak sauce bro!!! :wink:

leaveit2bevo
02-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Goku what are you talking about? we bought the evo to look good in our driveway not to use it for racing, its all about status. :roll:

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Goku what are you talking about? we bought the evo to look good in our driveway not to use it for racing, its all about status. :roll:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I bought my Evo for status, because I never drive anything cooler than an Evo. :lol: :lol:

Try again Bevo!

Oh, and if you had a 10 year warranty to consider, you may think differently, but then again I have to spend my own hard earned money on my cars.

leaveit2bevo
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
lol your like the one exception neil

snoop
02-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I currently owe $18,200 on my 2003 EVO :D On an MR with 5K from trade in plus 1000 down I would owe around $32,000. That is around a $15,000 dollar hit :shock:

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I currently owe $18,200 on my 2003 EVO :D On an MR with 5K from trade in plus 1000 down I would owe around $32,000. That is around a $15,000 dollar hit :shock:

I wouldn't have done it either if I'd have had to take that kind of hit.

Absinthe
02-06-2005, 02:31 PM

That's the best you can come up with after getting owned? That's weak sauce bro!!! :wink:

Weak Sauce?

I believe your talking about mitsu's warranty coverage?

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 02:34 PM

Weak Sauce?

Not if you DON'T mod or track your car.

Maybe you missed or didn't understand Goku's point about me not tracking my Evo. From what Goku is saying, I'm not jack shxt if I don't track my Evo.

What he fails to point out is that I spend one day a week at the track and that I use my SVT Focus for weekend track events, but that's not good enough according for him because I choose not to use the Evo.

Absinthe
02-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Weak Sauce?

Not if you DON'T mod or track your car.

Then why buy an Evo?

For the amazing good looks? awsome dealer customer service? how quiet and smooth it is on the road? reliability?

For 35K with the connections you have in the biz i would think there are better options....

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Then why buy an Evo?

For the amazing good looks? awsome dealer customer service? how quiet and smooth it is on the road? reliability?

For 35K with the connections you have in the biz i would think there are better options....

See above. What you fail to realize is that ANY vehicle I buy and take to the track has the possibility of voiding the warranty. Why spend 35K and void the warranty? I'm not that stupid, thank you very much.

Absinthe
02-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Then why buy an Evo?

See above. What you fail to realize is that ANY vehicle I buy and take to the track has the possibility of voiding the warranty. Why spend 35K and void the warranty? I'm not that stupid, thank you very much.

I wasnt talking about voiding your warrenty what i was saying is if you are looking for a fun practical street car for 35k that you have no interest in tracking or modding I dont see the Evo being it especially when chances are you have access to or know more people getting rid of good fast cars than the average person.

I think for 35k you might want a car that is atractive, doesnt develope rattles, is flawless reliability wise, that you dont risk loosing the warranty of becuase the dealer decides you abused the car, where you dont get mistreated becuase the dealer sells 80% of his cars to C&D paper clients...

If your not looking for outright performance then these would figure into your decision?

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Then why buy an Evo?

I've been into Evo's since I first drove one back in 2000. It went to the top of my dream cars list. In 2003 I got my chance to buy one and I haven't been disappointed with my choice, nor my choice to trade it in on a 2005 MR. It is still one of my most favorite cars to drive even given what I get a chance to driver everyday at work. There's nothing like an Evo!

My reasons for an Evo purchase don't have to match yours.

Absinthe
02-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Then why buy an Evo?

I've been into Evo's since I first drove one back in 2000. It went to the top of my dream cars list. In 2003 I got my chance to buy one and I haven't been disappointed with my choice, nor my choice to trade it in on a 2005 MR. It is still one of my most favorite cars to drive even given what I get a chance to driver everyday at work. There's nothing like an Evo!

Fair enough.

QuickShifter
02-06-2005, 02:55 PM
If you dont mod or track your car and you think your 03 gsr was to stiff or too peaky or too old or too loud or too japanese or too whatever.......why in the hell would you pay $8K++ to recieve the same exact car with diffs you wont EVER USE ON THE STREET

Why in the hell would you shell out that cash for a 6 speed that requires more shifting when you wanted a more "Streetable Car"

ALL MR OWNERS-------Stop talking about warranty.....you all know mitsu doesnt give a shit about your car, if you mod at all its over, and if you dont mod your an idiot.....cuz nothing is gonna break as long as you treat it right, especially considering the fact all of you gsr traders are gonna want the 9 when it comes out.

Geez---Im getting tired of hearing you guys trying to convince people its a good deal.........CUZ ITS NOT :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Everything you mr owners use to back up your reasons for buying the car is complete BOILSHIT If those reasons were really the way you feel then you all fucked up bad, real bad, and you just got jacked by mitsu, they STRAIGHT JACKED YOU JUMPY ASS FOOLS that ran out of their 03's and jumped in a mr......Let me explain

Keeping your 03 gsr- Free

Muellerizing- 2K

Having road race set up your suspension for more comfortable then stock with better handling????? What mr owners supposedly paid 8$k dollars for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh you IDIOTS!!!!!! YOU SEE NOW DONT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absinthe
02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
um yeah...I'm not even going to touch that other than to say its easier to talk with people when you dont call them dumb

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
um yeah...I'm not even going to touch that other than to say its easier to talk with people when you dont call them dumb

"Don't argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." We agree on this point.

Besides I wouldn't know where to start in responding to his illogical thought process.

"Keeping your 03 gsr- Free" yeah, because he obviously didn't pay anything for it. :roll:

QuickShifter
02-06-2005, 03:16 PM

Muellerizing- 2K

Having road race set up your suspension for more comfortable then stock with better handling????? What mr owners supposedly paid 8$k dollars for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh you IDIOTS!!!!!! YOU SEE NOW DONT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay i may have gone off for a second.......but correct me if im wrong

you mr owners talk about comfortability all day long like as if you wanted a mercedes c class or something.......yet you really could have just thrown suspension on your gsr, set it to a very comfortable setting, and have better handling then stock. Without spending 6 K$ extra. I thought that seemed rational but i guess not.

Please tell me.......am i wrong???????

leaveit2bevo
02-06-2005, 03:33 PM
A lot of the hate is because the people who own MR have a to cool for evo school attitude, where the MR is king and the rest of us all own civics. Just chill with the all the reason why I lost 15k to get another evo posts

EVO Neil
02-06-2005, 03:38 PM

Muellerizing- 2K

you mr owners talk about comfortability all day long like as if you wanted a mercedes c class or something.......yet you really could have just thrown suspension on your gsr, set it to a very comfortable setting, and have better handling then stock. Without spending 6 K$ extra. I thought that seemed rational but i guess not.

You are wrong! I don't remember talking about wanting a more confortable Evo as one of the reasons I got an MR, it wasn't.

MY reasons for trading in my 2003 Evo.
1) The MR had several additions, many of which are standard on any 2005 Evo; front-limited slip differential, ACD, much better warranty, free scheduled maintenance, etc.
2) I could trade in my 2003 and get a more-than-fair price on my 2003 Evo trade-in. How often can you trade a car in and NOT lose big money? I didn't. That for me was my strongest reason.
3) IMHO, in the long run the limited run MR Edition will hold it's value better than my 2003 Evo would have.

I decided I could afford the MR's price difference over a standard '05 Evo and wanted some of the additional features it offered. Do I look down on other Evo's or their owners because I own an MR, definitely not. Who cares, it's all about presonal choice and I don't bust your chops over what you choosen (unless you're runing cat-less, but thats another thread), so don't bust mine because I own an MR.

QuickShifter
02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
agreed.....one problem though.....I am running catless!!!!!!

me and you have unfinished business!!!!!!

just playing........if you did get a good deal then im sure it works out for you quite well. But for the people who talk about comfort and how the mr is just so much easier to live with and worth the money.....those are the crazy people

Macky
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
My reasons for an Evo purchase don't have to match yours.

this is the main point. why some people here have a problem with others who got their MR is just stupid. so what if they bought the MR?

it isnt your money, it isnt your car, why have a sissy fit? whatever their reasons are or getting the car, it ultimately is none of your concern.

not everyone is the same. all that you're trying to prove is become a nazi and force everyone who gets an Evo to mod the car and take it to the track.

not everyone is like that.

WavMixer
02-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Hmmm.. So if I never mod/ track my Evo, I shouldn't own it? Is this what I'm reading?

Macky
02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
thats what they are implying - which is pretty odd actually. kind of like saying if you buy an Enzo you have to track it, that sort of thing.

QuickShifter
02-06-2005, 07:35 PM

Muellerizing- 2K

Hmmmmmmm.......dodging the question are we mr owners?????? HAHAHAHA its okay, you dont have to answer the above, as their is no reasonable answer.

As to WavMixer

"Hmmm.. So if I never mod/ track my Evo, I shouldn't own it? Is this what I'm reading?

I didnt say that, But if you dont mod/track your evo then you really shouldnt own it. Its a drivers car with huge potential, if you wanted something for the city then you picked the wrong car.

Tell me WavMixer........where have you had fun with your evo?????????

Was it next to a school on a nice shiny school day???????

or how about up and down your block so all your neighbors can see that cool car?????

o o o o o o i know i know.......I bet you take it to the beach and have fun in the sand????????

Macky
02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
As to WavMixer

"Hmmm.. So if I never mod/ track my Evo, I shouldn't own it? Is this what I'm reading?

I didnt say that, But if you dont mod/track your evo then you really shouldnt own it. Its a drivers car with huge potential, if you wanted something for the city then you picked the wrong car.

i think you just contradicted yourself :wink:

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Then why buy an Evo?

I wasnt talking about voiding your warrenty what i was saying is if you are looking for a fun practical street car for 35k that you have no interest in tracking or modding I dont see the Evo being it especially when chances are you have access to or know more people getting rid of good fast cars than the average person.

I think for 35k you might want a car that is atractive, doesnt develope rattles, is flawless reliability wise, that you dont risk loosing the warranty of becuase the dealer decides you abused the car, where you dont get mistreated becuase the dealer sells 80% of his cars to C&D paper clients...

If your not looking for outright performance then these would figure into your decision?

if thats the case then my option would of been a SAAB or even a G35 , what better way to spend 35k with having luxury and comfort then all the things that you deal with your average evo (if you dont plan to track the car) the first moment i decided to purchase the car, i knew what i wanted to do. Im glad that you are happy having your dream car seating in your garage, more power to you.

Macky
02-06-2005, 08:16 PM
but if you are a die hard mitsu fan (from old school, jackie chan mitsu movies) whether or not you plan some track time, just getting an evo, regardless of the reason behind the purchase, is more than enough. 8)

Boosted
02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
hmmm I think there are more wrestling matches on the way, Billy vs Sam , Macky vs the world? Goku vs winner?

Macky
02-06-2005, 08:20 PM
hmmm I think there are more wrestling matches on the way, Billy vs Sam , Macky vs the world? Goku vs winner?

a Macky vs Goku would be unfair - he's SSJ4 now. :shock: :wink:

Boosted
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM

fine it will be a handicap match Macky and Terrance vs Goku

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2005, 08:38 PM

fine it will be a handicap match Macky and Terrance vs Goku

Terrance is a dangerous man, he has a wooden dildon in his trunk :shock: weird fella

Boosted
02-06-2005, 08:39 PM
hahahahahaha i remember that

Macky
02-06-2005, 08:49 PM
its called a cue stick children, now back to topic :wink:

erikgj
02-08-2005, 02:12 AM
First buying an evo never makes any financial sense. That is not what it is about. Trading in and buying any new car also never makes financial sense. If any of us cared about the cost of ownership we would all have Camry's.

This thread just started as a discussion on what the trade to an MR is like. I do like the MR better than my VII. Pushing it hard over rough pavement is far better in the MR. I like the even spacing of the six speed. The gap between 4th & 5th in all but the short gear RSes is a pain.

My MR is no luxury car but it is easy to live with on the street. Except for very few of us here that is primarily where we drive our cars -on the street.

EVO Neil
02-08-2005, 09:46 AM
if thats the case then my option would of been a SAAB or even a G35 , what better way to spend 35k with having luxury and comfort then all the things that you deal with your average evo (if you dont plan to track the car) the first moment i decided to purchase the car, i knew what i wanted to do. Im glad that you are happy having your dream car seating in your garage, more power to you.

moogle
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I bought an evo bcz I like they way they look, the way the feel, and the way they carress your butt with recaro's:lol: . Who cares why they trade it for an MR. What's wrong with trading 03 for an MR. Nothing, its their money. Just bcz half of us is not going to track it doesn't mean shit. We bought it bcz we just love the car, isn't that a good enough reason.

I got an evo 3x and for what reasons, well their mine. My reasons of getting an 05 than an MR bcz all the stuff in the MR is pretty much the same in the 05 . I also prefer the 5 speed over the 6,its 4k cheaper, and probably cheaper on the insurance.

kipper215
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
when i bought my evo it wasn't for resale value(i discovered that after i bought it).if you want resale value BMW 5 series is the best choice just boring in comparison. i knew the warranty was worthless cause i wanted to mod my car. i bought an evo because for what you pay it's best high performance car. is an MR better than an 03...yes. the design has been improved over the stock form. we know the hit on the upgrade is 10 to 15k. everyone knows that is a look of cash. you can say what ever you want to justify your purchase but, the fact remains that 10-15k is a lot of moola. as far as modding i think the average evo owner mods their car. why? to keep up with competition(newer cars made to out perform the stock evo). the evo is a competitor's car. it's agressive and not for the weak hearted. so is a modded evo better than a stock MR....yes. i would take gofaster87's car over an MR anyday. you can keep a MR stock if you want to but why? just remember taking the hit is a personal choice. just don't knock the people who don't and who do. :wink:

apexstrafer
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
this "poor resale value" thing is bugging me...

people forget (or are just unaware of the fact) that the evo has the BEST resale value of ANY 4-door sedan. that's according to forbes magazine, I believe. and no, I'm not making that up. my '03 that I paid pretty much $30k even for, was valued at $28k when it was totalled a year later with 32,000 miles on it. the 04s are even better.

just had to set the record straight.

gofaster87
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Billy and I love each other, no wrestling matches just guys giving each other shit.

BOVBILLY
02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I like the idea of a cage match. SOCALEVO VS BOOSTED & RENZO

Chris in SD
02-08-2005, 03:45 PM
this "poor resale value" thing is bugging me...

people forget (or are just unaware of the fact) that the evo has the BEST resale value of ANY 4-door sedan. that's according to forbes magazine, I believe. and no, I'm not making that up. my '03 that I paid pretty much $30k even for, was valued at $28k when it was totalled a year later with 32,000 miles on it. the 04s are even better.

just had to set the record straight.

Jeff is exactly right. Even before mods, my insurance company is paying $28,650 for my Evo with just under 30,000 miles. This is almost 2 years after I bought it. That equates to about $750/year in depreciation...

leaveit2bevo
02-08-2005, 04:17 PM
ya but both you and jeff totaled your evos, trade in value is lower.

Chris in SD
02-08-2005, 04:19 PM
So the moral is to get rolled and total it, then buy an MR...

Absinthe
02-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Chris-

I assume the the 28.6 you are getting is including your TT&L reimbursment, if so they are valuring the car closer to 26K.

if not I'll shut up.

And really not to calous or anything what became of your car, got any cheap parts off of it for sale?

EVO Neil
02-08-2005, 04:31 PM
For the record, I have never, ever talked down or said anything bad about peoples choice in Evo's, whether it's an RS, VIII, or MR. I feel if you bought an Evo, any Evo, you understand the aura, and the mystique of the Evo allure. I have only conflicted with people saying that the MR is not worth the money; to me it was and is.

I have also never said the Evo wasn't a good value. As far as automotive investments go, it has proven to be an outstanding value. I got out of an almost new 2003 and lost nothing, hence the reason I could afford an MR. It didn't cost me nearly as much as some are surmising here.

Buy what you want, I don't care, just stop trying to bash peoples choice about spending the extra money for an MR. It's their money and their choice, just like it is your money and your choice to modify or track your Evo. We all have choices to make, it'd be pretty boring if we all thought the same way and made the same choices.

Peace, my Evo brothers!

Chris in SD
02-08-2005, 04:31 PM
TT&L will come later. That's the value for the car.

LAST TIME: THERE ARE NO PARTS FROM MY CAR AVAILABLE

Absinthe
02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
TT&L will come later. That's the value for the car.

LAST TIME: THERE ARE NO PARTS FROM MY CAR AVAILABLE

Nice work seems like your insurance company ascribes to my companies lets ov er pay for a clearly devalued car. But hey I didnt complain either.

Sorry about buging you re: the car

Chris in SD
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Absinthe - no worries about my car, just tons of people ask...

Neil - I agree with you - if I could have found a way to get out of my S2000 and into an MR, I would be doing it right now. A white one, in fact.

I think a lot boils down to jealousy, some to aggravation at Mitsu (mostly how I felt upon learning the MR was coming), etc. No big deal. I, too, wouldn't track my MR if I had one. That 10/100,000 warranty is too much to throw away.

Macky
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
i think Neil best surmised it up 8)

WavMixer
02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
"Hmmm.. So if I never mod/ track my Evo, I shouldn't own it? Is this what I'm reading?[/qoute]

[quote="QuickShifter"]As to WavMixer

Tell me WavMixer........where have you had fun with your evo?????????

Was it next to a school on a nice shiny school day???????

or how about up and down your block so all your neighbors can see that cool car?????

o o o o o o i know i know.......I bet you take it to the beach and have fun in the sand????????

Well to tell you the truth, I live right next to Angeles Crest Hwy and this is the road I use to commute to the SGV. Up in the Antelope Valley where I live, there are many unpopulated roads, but even in town the speed limit is 50-65 MPH on most streets. I have taken my previous car to El Mirage Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Area located in the Mojave Desert. If you go to www.roadraceengineering.com you will see a pic of Scot Gray going 170 MPH in his GSX on the last meet that I organized there. None of this was on a "track". I also live close to LACR and Willow Springs, neither of which my car has been to yet. As for your comment about racing by a school, you obviously don't know me or anything about my values for you to make such an asinine statement, but I'll just chalk it up to your ignorance about me. FYI, yeah, all my neighbors did mention what a cool car I have, but then they are used to me owning nice vehicles

However I do enjoy a good frolic in the sand, but not in my Evo:
http://wavmixer.com/bio/toy.jpg

I also have a blender that has never made a marguirita but it's a lot of phun at parties
http://wavmixer.com/g3/blender.jpg

BTW, I feel so honored to be quoted by EVO Neil :)

EvoRution
02-11-2005, 03:12 PM
what _exactly_ is that blender used for? making smoothies out of dead bodies that choke up normal blenders?

WavMixer
02-11-2005, 03:18 PM
What else ya gonna do with a broken blender and your old disgarded RC stuff? Works great for making baby food for our grand children. They can eat the same food we eat, without all the chewing. I figure in a few more years when I'm really old, I'll be able to prepare my meals without the need for teeth. I can save the money from buying dentures and spend it on mods for my car.

tonykwok
02-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I think it's all about the $$$$$
If u are load with $$$$$, Go for it, hell u can probably buy each and every colors of Evo and park them in your garage.
If you are on a loan, i say don't do it. With that money u can REALLY PIMP out your rides. Pretty much everything u can think of with 15k, exhaust, new rims, CF hoods, intakes, gauges, etc etc....

It is also preference, for me, i own a 04 evo, so no, i will stick with it.. even though the loan is already paid off.

Chris in SD
02-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Good - now please buy my Quaife diff order and get the best mod.. :)