PDA

View Full Version : Braking in Pads and Rotors

500whp
02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I have recommended to few coustomers that to brake in the Pads slowly. I done some research and it seems like i was wrong!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bedding of the discs or pre bedding is absolutely critical for both longevity and performance," says Kontje, noting that Brembo pre-beds discs on a machine. "Essentially you want to get a nice even transfer layer of pad material on the discface. To do it properly would probably take four full laps for this process. The thing is that initially, often people will drag the brake and hit the accelerator at the same time; that is a complete no-no. You want to really put in high pressure short applications." That means at race speed, hard on the brakes for two seconds, on and off, about three or four times. Then let it cool a little, and then do it again. Ideally, cool it down for ten minutes and then really hammer on the brakes for a lap. That process will not only bed in the disc, but also heat cycle and thermally prep it as well.
"The ultimate goal with bedding is to release some of the inherent gases in the brake pad while simultaneously creating the transfer film on the pads and disks," says Hawk Pads' Slagle. For pads, he recommends five to six moderate-pressure (50 percent) decelerations. from about 70mph to 30mph, as quickly as possible to build up heat in the pads and discs. After a short cooling period, five or six full-pressure, threshold braking maneuvers from 90mph to 20mph, done as quickly as possible will "build up extreme heat very rapidly and this is what you want."
StopTech recommends a set of 10 partial braking events, from 60mph to 10mph, followed immediately by three of four more from 80mph to 10mph, all at about 80 percent. After a cooling period, the process should be repeated. While the recommended processes differ slightly, they all share one thing in common: During the bedding in process, the car should not be brought to a complete stop. That could lead to uneven transfer of friction material.
Mark Joseph, director/production manager of Disk Brakes Australia USA, says new pads should be bedded in with old rotors, and new rotors should be bedded in with old pads. After that, "the new rotors and pads should be fitted, driven carefully so that both pads and rotors mate to each surface."

Macky
02-05-2005, 03:40 PM
i did that on the MR - not a squeak at all since i finished the bedding in process. my 03 wasnt bedded in properly and squeaked at the same milage i have on the MR now.

gofaster87
02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I broke my rotoras in doing 10 40mph-0 stops one after another. Damn the smoke that came up from those had the whole business block staring at me. Every manufacturer has their own break in procedure but most are really close to one another.

leaveit2bevo
02-06-2005, 03:24 AM
I told you jeff lol

500whp
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I told you jeff lol

yes after you told me that i started to look around =P

ScoobySteve
02-07-2005, 05:15 AM
braking in rotors is 10 fold more important than pads IMO with technical reasons as well. Most performance brake pad products make their pads, so they are competitive right after installation, although every product can benefit from a breakin in period, it is not as crucial to pads, nearly as it is compared to the rotors. brand new rotors = no hard braking, consisten intervals of speeding up then gently slowing down for the first 300 miles or so. Just my 2 cents.

-Steve

Timujin
02-08-2005, 03:10 PM
I also read that you should NOT come to a complete stop while doing this because that last "bite" will cause uneven stopping later (a.k.a. "warpped" rotors). The break in procedures should be done on open road with space to slow quickly and speed up again to cool the rotors, before repeating. The race track will do too.

Timujin
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
braking in rotors is 10 fold more important than pads IMO with technical reasons as well. Most performance brake pad products make their pads, so they are competitive right after installation, although every product can benefit from a breakin in period, it is not as crucial to pads, nearly as it is compared to the rotors. brand new rotors = no hard braking, consisten intervals of speeding up then gently slowing down for the first 300 miles or so. Just my 2 cents.

-Steve

what he said too