PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Carbon Fiber wing clearcoat?

nurb2
02-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Is anyone having problems with the clearcoat on their carbon fiber wing? Mine looks like ass right now. In small spots it looks like the clearcoat just melted away, in other spots it slowly turns bright white and now parts are flaking off out of the white spots. :banghead:

I guess I'll take it to HB Mitsu and try to get it replaced or clearcoated under warranty (which it should be). Just wondering if anyone else is having clearcoat issues on their wings?

-nurb2-

subgraphic
02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Mines cool, but Ive read about this a few times on other Evo's...

All said it was covered under warranty.

Good luck :wink:

grico42
02-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I had to problem with mine, took it into Anaheim Mitsu and they gave me crap. So i went to Tusting Mitsu, talked with Mike, he got me hooked up with a new wing. I dont know why everyone complains about tustin mitsu, those guys are cool.

nurb2
02-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Doug at HB Mitsu took one quick look at it and ordered a new CF wing for me under warranty. They are also replacing the heat vent on the hood under warranty (the black paint has faded off down to silver). Plus they ordered my recall door sticker. Bwaa!

The peeps don't lie ... HB Mitsu is the place to go. ;-)

-nurb2-

BabyBlueDragon19
02-22-2005, 01:25 PM
so tustin for the wing problem? and theyll replace?

Skiracer
02-22-2005, 02:06 PM
If you do get a new wing under warranty, make sure you put a wax on it with UV protection.

nurb2
02-22-2005, 02:56 PM
so tustin for the wing problem? and theyll replace?
I went to HB Mitsu and they had it ordered, painted, waxed and installed in 4 days.

-nurb2-

nurb2
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
If you do get a new wing under warranty, make sure you put a wax on it with UV protection.
I had two coats of NXT and 3 coats of Zaino on my old one and it deteriorated anyway. They told me at HB there was a problem with some of the early clearcoats.

-nurb2-

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 12:17 AM
i keep hearing that HB mitsu is pretty chill about aftermarket parts on the EVO ture or false? i heard that some dudes brembos where chipping pretty bad and they replaced those bad boys at HB mitsu but just curious

GoneIn420
02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Mines cool, but Ive read about this a few times on other Evo's...

All said it was covered under warranty.

Good luck :wink:

Damn fool, now I have to whack it. :D Nice. Anyways, I just bought an '05 so I hope I don't go through that. Try Ontario Mitsubishi, they seemed pretty cool.

CT9A RS
02-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Go to HB Tustin is just no good. Since Mike has become the Service Manager he turned into a dick like its requirement for them.

He was all nice when my pops was with me and my pops was talking bout the lemon law n shiet. As soon as i dropped by the next day to take care of some issues he turned into dick mode and leaned back in his chair as he said no to everything i said. Seriously it was the cockiest move ever. Its the kinda thing i would do if i wanted to punk somebody.
It took all my energy to stay composed i was about to toss his ass through his window n beat the shiet out of him.

Neways ive already put in two complaints to Corporate about Tustin Mitsu and they recommended i go to HB as well.

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 09:20 PM
damn that sux so who do i talk to in HB mitsu

rammsteinmatt
02-23-2005, 10:52 PM
damn that sux so who do i talk to in HB mitsu

you can PM tom, tlcrox, hes the owner down there and he'll point you in the right direction for sure

badluckz
02-24-2005, 08:15 PM
woah, you don't need to go all the way to HB, bro. I see you're in Oceanside. I took mine (same problem) to Bob Baker in Carlsbad, talked to Max, taken care of under warranty. I've had great service from them. Took the wing off myself, dropped it off, and they ordered a new one and put it on for me. As for mods to your car, their mechanic actually asked me what clutch I had put in because he said it was better suited than stock, and swore up and down that he wouldn't "turn me in". He said he wanted to know to suggest to other owners with clutch issues.

mr2
02-27-2005, 12:26 AM
i just found two chips in my clear coat tonight :( so i'm guessing hb is the best place to take my car to? i go between sd and la a lot so it doesn't matter much to me but i have a feeling that the place i got my car from won't be as helpful

Tarmac02
03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Bob Baker in Carlsbad is replacing mine... just thought I'd tell ya

mr2
03-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Bob Baker in Carlsbad is replacing mine... just thought I'd tell ya

how bad was yours? my clear coat chiped a bit at the trailing edge of the wing...it's just two spots about 2-3mm thick about 1cm long. i might goto carlsbad since it's kind of along the way for me and not out of the way like hb is for me. sad thing was that i waxed the crap outta that wing so it won't turn yellow :'(

tlcrox
03-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Any dealer will fix it under warranty. We have replaced a few spoilers recently.

Cr0mster
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
El Cajon just replaced mine :)

BOVBILLY
03-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I JUST WAXED MINE!

EvoPwr
03-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I JUST WAXED MINE!

:o your what?

Tarmac02
03-09-2005, 05:57 PM
mine wasn't peeling yet,.... just fading to yellow...

getting a brand new one just so I can trade trunks with somebody else... I'll find an alternative source of downforce when I need it... It's not cops I'm worried about harassing me since I have a badge myself but more the ricers that annoy the shit out of me revving all the damn time

BOVBILLY
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
mine wasn't peeling yet,.... just fading to yellow...

getting a brand new one just so I can trade trunks with somebody else... I'll find an alternative source of downforce when I need it... It's not cops I'm worried about harassing me since I have a badge myself but more the ricers that annoy the shit out of me revving all the damn time

BADGE?

Tarmac02
03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
BADGE?

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7787