PDA

View Full Version : So I finally got around painting my tails ...

DTunedEvoX
02-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I've been wanting to do this for awhile and had pretty close access to this paint (10 min away). I saw a few members show what they did and I liked the result. Finally bit the bullet and did it myself. I cant afford Ver. v// tails (would rather put that $$$ towards something else) so I figured this was a pretty affordable route - turned out magnificent too - dosnt have the red lines across the blinker but works well.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/NakedEvo.sized.jpg
My naked and dirty EVO - Removed the tails.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/LeftTail.sized.jpg
I followed the line on the light right below the chrome - did a pretty good job. Also masked around the light so the paint wouldnt get on the black housing.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/PaintCan.sized.jpg
This is the paint I used - figured I'd show you guys a pic so you can use for reference- I looked @ all the other posts and they werent as detailed figured I'd save yall the time.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/RightTail.sized.jpg
Freshly painted - 1 coat.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/Drying.sized.jpg
My room is heated so I figure I'd speed up the process and let it dry on top of the TV while I played Halo2. Dont mind the barrel guy flashing you the g00ds.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/LeftDry.sized.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/RightDry.sized.jpg
Close ups of the left and right tail lights - while they were drying.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/Reverse.sized.jpg
Installed on the car w/ reverse lights on - Still shines white/pink.
And the paint was mirror clear.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/AllLight.sized.jpg
All lights on - parkinglights/breaklights/reverselights/hazards

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/AllLightAngle.sized.jpg
All lights on - @ an angle for your reference.

Took me 5 min to remove the tails, 20 min to mask and paint them, and I let them dry for 3 hours in my heated room before the paint was dry to the touch and installed them onto my car. Yesterday it rained a little and had no effect on the lights. Cant beat it for $25.00 - To my Burbank/Glendale meet peeps I'll let you check out on Wednesday so you can compare them to Khiem's 7's or something lol .. I only used 1/2 the bottle ... Still got 1/2 a bottle left!

gofaster87
02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Why do you have to show a wooden penis in your pics. Is that your god of pleasure.

DTunedEvoX
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Why do you have to show a wooden penis in your pics. Is that your god of pleasure.

DAMN My secret is out ... how'd you know?! LOL .. Actually got it as a gift from my bro and found it hilarious to throw up with the pix lol ..

j_nizzle
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
looks good man. i smoked out my tails and now i think i might as well get another set to paint red.

EVOate909
02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
looks very good...

CT9A RS
02-07-2005, 02:28 PM
lol looks good.

lol the barrel man. Wut happened to the barrel.

kimletrim
02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Looks goot!!! Do you think another layer would make it last longer or would it make the paint too dark?

Boosted
02-07-2005, 04:22 PM
how does it look in the sun?

DTunedEvoX
02-07-2005, 04:34 PM

As per your request Boosted:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/SunAngle.sized.jpg

Its crystal clear - My car is mad dirty ....

DTunedEvoX
02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Looks goot!!! Do you think another layer would make it last longer or would it make the paint too dark?

I think another layer would matte it out to be honest - think Carlos' tail lights ..

It would look a little darker though but - as far as lasting longer I think 1 coat is enough ....

CJexJiggy
02-08-2005, 12:19 AM
^ Well I mest up one time because I did 2 coats and it came out too dark, so I took it off and did only 1 coat. I think yours looks a little pink because of that spray you used. I used regular Michaels' glass candy apple red. I do have pictures here: http://registry.evolutionm.net/viewride.php?vid=3491

Boosted
02-08-2005, 12:29 AM

As per your request Boosted:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album138/SunAngle.sized.jpg

Its crystal clear - My car is mad dirty ....

wow that turned out great. where did you get that paint?

Macky
02-08-2005, 12:31 AM
looks good.

just a suggestion to anyoen who might do the same: any chance you guys would cut out a circle to cover the back light so that would still be white? i mean if its possible to cover the signal marker, i surely think covering teh back light shouldnt be any problem :D

CJexJiggy
02-08-2005, 12:40 AM
^ I didnt cut a circle around my back light. It doesnt look too bad.

DTunedEvoX
02-08-2005, 01:26 AM
looks good.

just a suggestion to anyoen who might do the same: any chance you guys would cut out a circle to cover the back light so that would still be white? i mean if its possible to cover the signal marker, i surely think covering teh back light shouldnt be any problem :D

Thanks guys.

Yeah it looks pink to some but I didnt want to go to dark.
Actually when going into reverse it looks pink/white.
I wouldnt want to cut a circle because it'd stand out a lot ..

I got the paint from this little kiosk @ Northridge Mall - they've been carrying it for years. You can always go online and buy some - I attached a pic of the can so you know how it looks ... Stuff is formulated for the weather unlike the testors stuff/etc ... Kinda prevent it from fading or what not - least thats what my friend who can read the can/label said!

TygerStile
02-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Nothing wrong with pink... :lol:

rammsteinmatt
02-13-2005, 09:21 PM
looks good.

think really light pink and thats what the reverse light looks like (at least to me) saw it on muramasa's car looks decent the light pink reverse light definately does not outweigh the altezzas, plus youre only in reverse for a couple seconds at a time, altezzas are there 24/7

DTunedEvoX
02-14-2005, 12:36 AM

What damn Mikes up on this! hahaha

Yeah it dosnt bother people- people know I'm backing up ... I agree w/ Matt ... the Teezo's were 24/7 bleh ...

gofaster87
02-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Pink is jaydeem

Boosted
02-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Pink is jaydeem

Mr. Evo Of The Decade Does have a point...

TygerStile
02-14-2005, 11:42 AM

What damn Mikes up on this! hahaha

What up D... can you tell I'm bored. I'm browsing Evo forums...haha.

Ralliartpnoi
02-15-2005, 03:11 AM
pink = sti, pink is the color we do not speak of..

alex_alex
02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
dude, is that a freakin midget in the last picture?

DTunedEvoX
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
dude, is that a freakin midget in the last picture?

HAHAHA - naw its just my brother - foo is just yolked and has no neck lol It was cold outside he was in his shorts turning my lights on and off for me ..

TygerStile
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
pink = sti, pink is the color we do not speak of..

Pinoys love the pink stuff... I do anyway :wink: :lol: .

FastCarsAre4Me
02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Getting rid of the pink is easy. What I did is switch the turn signals and the reverse lights. the plugs are the same except one has an extra tab on it that needs to be cut. They fit perfectly if you do that. You dont even have to change the bulb on the turn signal because the orange bulb matched with the red paint looks red instead of pink.

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 12:01 AM
clean job :peewee: how much was the paint?and is the surface of the taillight smooth or kinda rough?

DTunedEvoX
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Around 28-30 bucks .. paint surface is as smooth as the plastic. Some Burbank attendees can attest .. :wink:

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
holy crap 30 bills !!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Around 28-30 bucks .. paint surface is as smooth as the plastic. Some Burbank attendees can attest .. :wink:

DTunedEvoX
02-23-2005, 08:42 PM

You must barely make enough to have your evo .. lol .. You can also get "TESTORS" for 2.99 or what not if you cant swing $30.00 ... Or pay around 350-400 shipped for real version 7's ... To each its own :wink: You'd have to see them in person next to real version v//'s to honestly be able to compare ...

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 08:52 PM
actually i dont pay a dime for my evo it was a gift from ma and pa in march of 2003

:nana:

You must barely make enough to have your evo .. lol .. You can also get "TESTORS" for 2.99 or what not if you cant swing $30.00 ... Or pay around 350-400 shipped for real version 7's ... To each its own :wink: You'd have to see them in person next to real version v//'s to honestly be able to compare ...

DTunedEvoX
02-23-2005, 09:10 PM
actually i dont pay a dime for my evo it was a gift from ma and pa in march of 2003

:nana:

:D Must be nice ...

rammsteinmatt
02-23-2005, 09:28 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if massive hating began because of this information

DTunedEvoX
02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if massive hating began because of this information

Seriously .. homeboy comes up in here hating on my thread ... About a price .. then he tells us hes sponsored by M&D ... :? Have you noticed all the gh3y threads and posts hes got going too? :roll:

BabyBlueDragon19
02-23-2005, 11:48 PM
who hates im giving props on ur lite job so get your story stright ,plus its not i picked this damn car i woke up with a set of keys in my hand what was i supposed to do say no take it back

rammsteinmatt
02-24-2005, 12:47 AM
who hates im giving props on ur lite job so get your story stright ,plus its not i picked this damn car i woke up with a set of keys in my hand what was i supposed to do say no take it back

it is just the general consensus that i get from the board that people that have their parents buy the car they get looked down on by the members that work for it. Im not saying that having your parents buy the car is bad, cause i wish my parents bought one for me (im still working on affording it myself) so im not hating at all, just warning that there may be some members that really had to work hard for it

DTunedEvoX
02-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Annnnnnnyhow .. case closed - on to the next mod ...

Future
02-25-2005, 05:00 AM
wait just a minute...... FYI you're tailights will get faded the paint will get ugly so hope you have a extra set laying around unless you like taking them out every so often to touch it up and then it just starts to look nasty layer over layer and so on...... as far a "babybluedragon" i know this MOFO and his lil story about waking up and having keys to the evo is a bunch of BS.... i know someone who knows him.... you took mommy and daddy with you to get it for you... not hating on you man props dont be a lil girl about it and lie..... oh and on your SIG. "HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS EVERY PU$$Y NEEDS ONE!!" is that why you owned one....

FUTURE.....

alex_alex
02-25-2005, 05:09 AM
wait just a minute...... FYI you're tailights will get faded the paint will get ugly so hope you have a extra set laying around unless you like taking them out every so often to touch it up and then it just starts to look nasty layer over layer and so on...... as far a "babybluedragon" i know this MOFO and his lil story about waking up and having keys to the evo is a bunch of BS.... i know someone who knows him.... you took mommy and daddy with you to get it for you... not hating on you man props dont be a lil girl about it and lie..... oh and on your SIG. "HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS EVERY PU$$Y NEEDS ONE!!" is that why you owned one....

FUTURE.....

this is what happens when you let honda guys onto the board. :lol: way to represent.

CT9A RS
02-25-2005, 07:13 AM

FUTURE.....

this is what happens when you let honda guys onto the board. :lol: way to represent.

lol

DTunedEvoX
02-25-2005, 09:08 AM
P.S. - I dont care if they fade ... We already know that ...*shrug* Whats 20 min of my time and a couple hours to dry? :)

Plz start another thread for mr "Sponsored by M&D" ...

BabyBlueDragon19
02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
i dig ur tails , but dont hate cuz i was one of the lucky ones
P.S. - I dont care if they fade ... We already know that ...*shrug* Whats 20 min of my time and a couple hours to dry? :)

Plz start another thread for mr "Sponsored by M&D" ...