PDA

View Full Version : F'ing Rotors

MAFIOSO8
02-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Well I came to the mechanics today and I found out my front rotors are gone :banghead: . So I'm fucking pissed thats a great kick in the ass, I come in to get new pads and hey what do you know, hey suprise I need knew front rotors :pissed: ! So my question to you guys is at what time did your rotors go?

kimletrim
02-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm at 26k on stock rotors and just changed my pad. The rotors are holding up just fine, except for the the driver's side front...it squeaks sometimes. BTW I did not resurface them.

toku-one
02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
everyones rotors would have gone at a different time depending on how they used them

GokuSSJ4
02-09-2005, 02:21 PM
are you abusing your car ????
even bevo with PF 97 had at least over 18k till he had to change his rotors
over 24k and have stock rotors with several track days, same with other peeps as well.

kipper215
02-09-2005, 02:33 PM
renzo you beat that car to death. dude you have to slow down. i saw your tires and those things were gone gone gone. the A was missing from Advan. if you take it easy you won't get hit with those crazy repair bills. i know you having fun, just remember you have to pay to play.

Coolguy949
02-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Well I came to the mechanics today and I found out my front rotors are gone :banghead: . So I'm fucking pissed thats a great kick in the ass, I come in to get new pads and hey what do you know, hey suprise I need knew front rotors :pissed: ! So my question to you guys is at what time did your rotors go?

That;'s because you were driving on the backing plates for so long. You should be able to have them resurfaced though. You've never had them resurfaced before so if the mechanic says you need new rotors it sounds like he's trying to scam you.

Rob

evomrguy
02-09-2005, 02:57 PM

That;'s because you were driving on the backing plates for so long. You should be able to have them resurfaced though. You've never had them resurfaced before so if the mechanic says you need new rotors it sounds like he's trying to scam you.

Rob

Just have your mechanic measure them for you. If they have a few mm left before the minimum spec then you can resurface them. However, if you went metal to metal at all then you will need to replace them irregardless of the measurement cause it takes a lot of machining to get them cleaned up and by that time they go out of spec, unless they just barely kissed the backing plate, but you should be able to tell the difference just by looking at them. Also if you have bad hot spotting on the rotors they usually will not all machine out and then you get the feeling of your rotors being warped when your stopping, so the mechanic would reccomend new ones. If they go under the minimum spec you can warp the rotors easily and they can crack on you, not good, so he would be recommending them so as not to get sued. Usually when a mechanic is trying to sell you new rotors he is not trying to rip you off. The reason being that he gets paid by the job not hourly, he makes more money by resurfacing your rotors than by replacing them. So if he is recommending them then chances are its cause you need them, not to make more money from you. Sorry didnt mean to ramble on about it, but I am a mechanic and I have to deal with things like this everyday. Just look at it as a chance to upgrade to slotted or two piece rotors. If you still are wary of what your mechanic told you, you can bring them by me and I will measure them for you and tell you whether they are any good still.

apexstrafer
02-09-2005, 03:25 PM
how long have you been driving on the backing plates?

jondukes
02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
25,500 miles five track days w/ hawk blues and on second set of street pads(stock +b-force)never had rotors recurfaced and my brakes were on fire/smoking after every cool down lap=stock rotors
whats the backing plate?is that the peice of fiber that goes between pad and shim?ive always used that except on the track

8-AGAIN
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM
the backing plate is the piece of metal that the brake pad is bonded too...basically the brake pads without anymore pad material

jondukes
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
why would you cruise like that?wouldnt that vibrate like crazy

rammsteinmatt
02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
why would you cruise like that?wouldnt that vibrate like crazy

or make a metal to metal grinding sound at the very least?

MAFIOSO8
02-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Yay I got my new pads and rotors today :D . Turns out the mechanics over at tuttle click discovered what was wrong with my brakes. They found rocks and debris stuck in the front drivers side caliper. The debris caused the pads to wear down to the metal which ate away at the rotor and as a side effect it put more stress on the front passenger pads and rotor which caused it to wear down to minimum specs. They decided to replace the front pads and rotors and i didn't have to pay a dime, so I'm stoked and she's running just like she used to. :D

all stock
03-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Yay I got my new pads and rotors today :D . Turns out the mechanics over at tuttle click discovered what was wrong with my brakes. They found rocks and debris stuck in the front drivers side caliper. The debris caused the pads to wear down to the metal which ate away at the rotor and as a side effect it put more stress on the front passenger pads and rotor which caused it to wear down to minimum specs. They decided to replace the front pads and rotors and i didn't have to pay a dime, so I'm stoked and she's running just like she used to. :D

The entire rotor wore evenly or where there grooves?

500whp
03-14-2005, 01:24 AM
there is no set time for your rotors to be totally gone! because some of us drive like a crazy monster, and some liek grandmas. So some people will have to get new rotors may be in 10k, some may be in 30+k it just all depends on the way u drive!