PDA

View Full Version : Great site one suggestion:

thrlskr
02-11-2005, 09:42 PM
First, great site! I know some of you from other automotive boards and I think I recognize a couple of you from some Redline or Speedventures HPDE.

Anyway here is my unsolicited suggestion:

I'm not familiar with the software the administrator is using for this forum but, I think it is in the best interests of all the members if signatures only showed up once on every page.

This way if say Macky, EVO8RPM, WAVMIXER, EVO-8, or GokuSSJ4 post a few times on any given page we would only see their signatures once not 3 or 4 times. Once the thread moves to a second page their signature would show up again, but only on the first post.

In this way we can all enjoy our (and other people's) signatures but it won't plug up the thread. This will make it easier for all of us to enjoy the actual content of the thread. In addition, it will improve the load time for your dial-up visitors. Most importantly it will lower the bandwidth the site uses every month.

I hope none of the contributors above take offense to being listed here, that was not my intent. I am only pointing out that they have substantial signatures and I think that displaying them only once would add to the users enjoyment of the forum.

Thank you for your consideration,

Nick

Macky
02-11-2005, 09:57 PM
get broadband :wink: j/p

thrlskr
02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I've got cable it is plenty fast! Nothing is more frustrating than when your favorite site bumps up against it's bandwidth or server limitations. This happens fairly often to relatively small automotive forums, like this one. Plus, don't you get tired of seeing the same signature over and over on the same page?

Nick

Macky
02-11-2005, 10:21 PM
not really 8) :wink:

Coolguy949
02-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I've got cable it is plenty fast! Nothing is more frustrating than when your favorite site bumps up against it's bandwidth or server limitations. This happens fairly often to relatively small automotive forums, like this one. Plus, don't you get tired of seeing the same signature over and over on the same page?

Nick

That's impossible. Must be your connection. We have this server capped at 20MBit but have 2 gigabits at our disposal incase we need more and it never has hit the limit. Just for reference, EvolutionM.net runs on a 2MBit line, so we have 10 times more bandwidth than they do. The sever rarely ever runs at capacity either. We've got alot of RAM on it is why.

But, to answer your question, we can't do that. It would involve extensive code editing. I think there's an option that allows you to make it so no one's signature is displayed. You can also use the mobile version of socalevo from your desktop. It's extremely fast with minimal image loading.

http://mobile.socalevo.net

Rob

RaysurX
02-11-2005, 10:44 PM
*edit*

Doh... Coolguy replied when it was typing....nevermind.

Boosted
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
serious... stupid people with there stupid signatures...

(begins to photoshop massive 1024x768 signature)

MAFIOSO8
02-12-2005, 12:02 AM
serious... stupid people with there stupid signatures...

(begins to photoshop massive 1024x768 signature)lmao

rammsteinmatt
02-12-2005, 12:10 AM

imo macky's signatures are professional quality and should be displayed loud and proud, that is real talent there

Macky
02-12-2005, 12:37 AM

imo macky's signatures are professional quality and should be displayed loud and proud, that is real talent there

thanks 8)

thrlskr
02-12-2005, 01:46 AM

Nick

That's impossible. Must be your connection. We have this server capped at 20MBit but have 2 gigabits at our disposal incase we need more and it never has hit the limit. Just for reference, EvolutionM.net runs on a 2MBit line, so we have 10 times more bandwidth than they do. The sever rarely ever runs at capacity either. We've got alot of RAM on it is why.

But, to answer your question, we can't do that. It would involve extensive code editing. I think there's an option that allows you to make it so no one's signature is displayed. You can also use the mobile version of socalevo from your desktop. It's extremely fast with minimal image loading.

Rob

Rob,

I think you miss understood. I have NEVER experienced a failure on THIS site, but over the years many of the smaller forums have had bandwidth problems when their usage/site popularity grew faster than anticipated.

Some forum software has the option that limits the number of times the signatures are displayed per page load. IMO it is too bad that this site's software doesn't have that option; no need to do any coding it's not a big deal.

Anyway, thanks for the reponse.

Nick

thrlskr
02-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Can't beat'em join 'em. Got a sig....now I need an EVO!

Macky
02-12-2005, 01:59 AM
so u trading in your Z?

thrlskr
02-12-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm probably gonna eBay it....Hoping to get 25-26K for it.

Boosted
02-12-2005, 02:46 AM

thanks 8)

your welcome 8)

WavMixer
02-12-2005, 07:29 AM

You no like my signiture? I'm crushed. :oops:

Coolguy949
02-12-2005, 08:31 PM

Nick

Rob

Rob,

I think you miss understood. I have NEVER experienced a failure on THIS site, but over the years many of the smaller forums have had bandwidth problems when their usage/site popularity grew faster than anticipated.

Some forum software has the option that limits the number of times the signatures are displayed per page load. IMO it is too bad that this site's software doesn't have that option; no need to do any coding it's not a big deal.

Anyway, thanks for the reponse.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the response. Very glad this site runs smoothly for you. I take that personally since we've put so much work in to the infrastructure for the site.

Love your avatar!

Rob

thrlskr
02-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Nick,

Thanks for the response. Very glad this site runs smoothly for you. I take that personally since we've put so much work in to the infrastructure for the site.

Love your avatar!

Rob

You're welcome and thanks!

Chris in SD
02-13-2005, 01:36 AM
Awww you can feel the love...

leaveit2bevo
02-13-2005, 01:03 PM
bevo mod in 05!

apexstrafer
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
you can't take away our sigs! what else would macky and I do when we're bored at work if we couldn't make new sigs every week?? :P

Macky
02-13-2005, 08:44 PM
you can't take away our sigs! what else would macky and I do when we're bored at work if we couldn't make new sigs every week?? :P

lol true that :lol: :wink:

rammsteinmatt
02-13-2005, 09:30 PM

You no like my signiture? I'm crushed. :oops:

naw, all you guys with those custom sigs, i just happened to see macky's post right above mine so thats what i put so im commending all you that put the effort into making badass sigs (WavMixer included) :D

tasco
02-21-2005, 02:34 AM
I got a question for you guys, does phpBB use any item level or page level caching?