PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket #2 and I'm done. Car for sale :[

andykin
02-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Cop felt like being whatever he felt like being and wrote me down for reckless driving opposed to just speeding.

82 in a 40.

Incoming 2 points on my record. 2+2 = 4, 4 is 6 month license suspension if I'm not mistaken? I feel quite horrible right now and my only option left is to sell the car and hire a good lawyer to fight it so I still have my license to drive to school/work. I got a straight forward lawyer to tell me that it's going to be a situation against the District Attorney in which he would have to bargain and get it reduced to 1 point. The cost will be $2,500.

I was 'lasered' at 82 but there was a Mustang next to me going just as fast, if not faster because of his empty lane. I got pulled over instead cause I was in center lane stuck in traffic. Cypress Police Department, was lasered going down Valley View (a surface street).

Any tips or suggestions on what I should do? Just turned 21 and got that wake up call that I can't control my driving habits so I'm going to sell the car and call it quits, not worth it for me anymore and I weighed the car up against school/work and it hit me that school/work is more important to me right now in order to survive.

A good traffic lawyer if anyone knows one would be nice if you could refer me to one, if not I might have to take a public defender. Thanks in advance, I'll show up to Tustin's evo meet this Thursday one last time :[

Selling a Silver 2003 Evo with 12,500 miles if anyone is interested. Apexi Exhaust, HKS turbo timer, Apexi intake, lowered on Tein springs, few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Still got stock parts in my garage if you want that stuff too. Will take any reasonable offers.

(714) 510-1685
My cell phone, name is Andy.

toku-one
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
POINTS ON THE DRIVER RECORD

DMV keeps a public record of all your traffic convictions and accidents. Each occurrence stays on your record for 36 months or longer, depending on the type of conviction.

You may be considered a negligent operator when your driving record shows any one of the following “point count” totals regardless of your license class:

4 points in 12 months 6 points in 24 months 8 points in 36 months

Some examples of one point violations:

* A traffic conviction.
* An at-fault accident.

Examples of two point violations:

* Reckless driving or hit-and-run driving
* Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
* Hit-and-run driving
* Driving while suspended or revoked

If you get too many “points,” you will lose your driver license. A violation received in a commercial vehicle carries one and one-half times the point count normally assessed.

andykin
02-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it's clear to me that a total of 4 points are coming for sure and it's going to be within that 12 month period.

Cop told me quote, "I better not have to show up to court for this shit or else when I'm through with you, I'll have the judge throw the entire book at you and then some."

Thanks for the DMV information.

How does it go as far as insurance is concerned? Can I just accept my license being suspended then canceling my insurance policy for the time being starting now, even before being convincted of reckless driving so I can avoid my parents getting their rates increased? I'm under their policy and I would hate for my parents to suffer for my 'reckless driving.'

gofaster87
02-14-2005, 06:08 PM
82 in a 40!!!!! Jesus thats a little much. Radar would have been worth a fight but laser is just an asskicker. The cop is an ass to say something like he did, basically he doesnt want you to exercise your right to a fair trial. You will have to definately get your own policy if you dont want the unbrella policy to go up. It happened to me when I was younger and the new insurance was killing me. Itll be a few years before you will get any type of price break becausee of your age. Price breaks usually occur at 24 and 34 dpeneding on the insurance company.

j_nizzle
02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
sorry to hear about what happened man. if you could send me a complete list of your aftermarket parts, i could take a few things off your hands for you.

nurb2
02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Cop told me quote, "I better not have to show up to court for this shit or else when I'm through with you, I'll have the judge throw the entire book at you and then some."
LOL. I'd fight that ticket for sure ... the cop clearly does not want to go to court. Do a trial by written declaration to make the cop have to fill out that paperwork, then if you lose that abuse him with paperwork for the court trial. Then when you get to within 10 days of your trial, request an extension and make him have to change his plans. Then try it again if they will let you. After all that, hope he does not show up. You really have nothing to lose by fighting any ticket. I'm in the process of fighting one I got last July ... my first court appearance is not until March, 8 months after the ticket, assuming I don't get it delayed again. You also have the added benefit of spreading those points as far apart on your record as possible. Good luck.

-nurb2-

Miss Evo8
02-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Fight it!!!!! We live in America for a reason! A lawyer will be able to get you out of this!!! Think OJ and you will be set free!!!

apexstrafer
02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
DING DING DING!!!

this is exactly what you should do.

LOL. I'd fight that ticket for sure ... the cop clearly does not want to go to court. Do a trial by written declaration to make the cop have to fill out that paperwork, then if you lose that abuse him with paperwork for the court trial. Then when you get to within 10 days of your trial, request an extension and make him have to change his plans. Then try it again if they will let you. After all that, hope he does not show up. You really have nothing to lose by fighting any ticket. I'm in the process of fighting one I got last July ... my first court appearance is not until March, 8 months after the ticket, assuming I don't get it delayed again. You also have the added benefit of spreading those points as far apart on your record as possible. Good luck.

-nurb2-

Richard EVO
02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
NO NO NO. Don't sell the car and give up. Fight. You need an attorney for this one. Sherman Ellison beat a radar ticket for 114 mph in a 70 mph zone for me a couple of months ago. He is expensive but worth it. Here's his website. Check out the Victory List.

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/bio.html

andykin
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Can I ask how expensive Richard? PM me if ya have to :P

Nurb is my hero, a true inspiration.

gofaster87
02-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Can I ask how expensive Richard? PM me if ya have to :P

Nurb is my hero, a true inspiration.

Itll be cheaper than your insurance rates for the next 5 years after they have gone up.

Richard EVO
02-14-2005, 07:08 PM
I suggest you just call Sherman, tell him about your ticket, and ask him what he will charge. Mine was for 114 mph and he had to appear 3 times in Kern County, so my fee might be different from yours. Sherman is a very nice guy, and will be glad to talk to you the first time without charging anything. Then you decide.

rammsteinmatt
02-14-2005, 07:32 PM
selling your car would be admitting defeat to the cop

WavMixer
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Never, but NEVER admit guilt! I've never used Sherman, but from what I've read here, it's worth a try. He won't charge for the first consultation! I've never had to fight a laser case, only radar. So if you do fight this and win or get points reduced, I would like to hear about it. Good luck!!

CJexJiggy
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I say dont sell it, but if you do sell me some of your parts?

Timujin
02-15-2005, 12:24 AM
fight it

go4broke
02-15-2005, 01:25 AM
82 in a 40 zone is plain stupid....Whether things work out for you or not i hope that you learn that you were lucky that cop busted ya before you kill yourself or someone else one day. best of luck!

subgraphic
02-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Any tips or suggestions on what I should do?

Slow down.

:roll:

Evo-8
02-15-2005, 02:02 AM
welcome to my world my friend. My annual insurance is somewhere near $10,000. Yeah not too fun. I plan on selling my rocketship soon. Anyone interested?

If I could do it all over again from my court date. I would do everything i could to reduce it. I sat there and didnt even put vaseline on my ass before i let the court rape me. Make sure u dont take it in the ass without a fight.

el rey evo
02-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Any tips or suggestions on what I should do? Just turned 21 and got that wake up call that I can't control my driving habits so I'm going to sell the car and call it quits, not worth it for me anymore and I weighed the car up against school/work and it hit me that school/work is more important to me right now in order to survive.

You answered your own question...and answered it quite well...

Good luck in school and with your new, sensible car... :wink:

Luscious
02-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, it's clear to me that a total of 4 points are coming for sure and it's going to be within that 12 month period.

Thanks for the DMV information.

How does it go as far as insurance is concerned? Can I just accept my license being suspended then canceling my insurance policy for the time being starting now, even before being convincted of reckless driving so I can avoid my parents getting their rates increased? I'm under their policy and I would hate for my parents to suffer for my 'reckless driving.'

I'd sooooooooooo fucking fight this. All you were doing was 82, and he wrote you up for reckless?

EDIT: Wait, it was 82 is a 40 zone!?

STiTHIS
02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Radar/Laser Detector?...
K40 Laser gammer!!!

STiTHIS
02-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Radar/Laser Detector?...
K40 Laser gammer!!!

Luscious
02-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Radar/Laser Detector?...
K40 Laser gammer!!!

do laser jammers even work? Even if they did, I doubt they're legal here in ca.

snoop
02-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Plead nolo contendere :!:

"A plea entered by the defendant in response to being charged with a crime. If a defendant pleads nolo contendere, she neither admits nor denies that she committed the crime, but agrees to a punishment (usually a fine or jail time) as if guilty. Usually, this type of plea is entered because it can't be used as an admission of guilt if a civil case is held after the criminal trial."

Than drive slow. You get one free pass "nolo contendere" every 5 years. You will still have to pay a fine and go to driving school but you will be able to keep your insurance down and keep your EVO. Also by law the cop has to show you the last three caibrations on the laser gun. If the officer can't show calibration infromation you can get off.

leaveit2bevo
02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
laser jammers work, I think they are legal but they only fool the laser for a short period you have to brake like crazy to get your speed down. It wouldnt have helped him a cop dosent need a laser gun to tell your speeding if yoru doing 82 in a 40

apexstrafer
02-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Radar/Laser Detector?...
K40 Laser gammer!!!

do laser jammers even work? Even if they did, I doubt they're legal here in ca.

......uhhhh, does it really matter?? I mean you'd be using it to do something illegal, so unless you plan to go ahead and tell the cop you're using one, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

anyway, they're definitely legal, but that just seems like a funny question to ask.

if you're serious about speeding, you should have the following:
1. radar detector
2. radar jammer (illegal, but see above)
3. laser detector
4. laser jammer
5. cloaking paint on your plates (I run without a front plate at all)
6. the # of a good lawyer

did I forget anything? if anyone can think of anything, please add to the list...

Richard EVO
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
That advice is just plain wrong. You can go to traffic school every 18 months if the infraction is eligible for traffic school. Pleading nolo contendre has nothing to do with it. Your first paragraph is correct. Where you got the rest of that nonsense is beyond me.

82 mph in a 40 mph zone is probably not traffic school eligible. I stand my my original advice. Hire Sherman Ellison.

Plead nolo contendere :!:

"A plea entered by the defendant in response to being charged with a crime. If a defendant pleads nolo contendere, she neither admits nor denies that she committed the crime, but agrees to a punishment (usually a fine or jail time) as if guilty. Usually, this type of plea is entered because it can't be used as an admission of guilt if a civil case is held after the criminal trial."

Than drive slow. You get one free pass "nolo contendere" every 5 years. You will still have to pay a fine and go to driving school but you will be able to keep your insurance down and keep your EVO. Also by law the cop has to show you the last three caibrations on the laser gun. If the officer can't show calibration infromation you can get off.

WavMixer
02-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Laser jammers are no longer legal in CA!
The following states ban the sale and use of laser jammers: Minnesota (Statutes 2002, 169.14), California (Sec. 1, Ch 493.28150) and Utah (C. 41-6-52.7, 1998).

STiTHIS
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
bought mine, had it installed, WORKS LIKE A AHH, LIFE SAVER!!!
its on my street bike, undetectable and you can barely see it...