PDA

View Full Version : New rubber: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

nurb2
02-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Finally replaced the Advans today. After much research on various car forums, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. I was basically looking for Max summer performance with grip close to the Advans but longer tire life. I considered the Bridgestone S03, Goodyear GS-D3, Kumho Ecsta MX, Toyo Proxes T1-S and of course new Advans. I briefly thought about the BF Goodrich KD's, but wanted to stay stock size.

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/5921/ps2large7un.jpg

Anyway, I'll try to keep this thread updated as to my impressions of the tire and how they compare to the Advans. I found it very helpful to read reviews of the above tires by people with Evo's and similar AWD cars like the STi and WRX.

VERY initial impressions with about 30 miles on the tires, including a few runs up to 120 and a few easy curves:

1) They ride much nicer than the Yokos. Bumps that rattled my teeth don't anymore. It's a huge difference there.

2) Steering response when jerking the wheel right-left-right is not instantaneous like it is with the stockers. There is a very slight delay which makes them feel a little loose ... however, I knew this would be the case from researching them and there is not much that would compare to the Advan in that regard anyway. It's hard to really judge this because I was running Advan slicks the past couple of months so there was no tread moving around like there is on the new tires.

3) They don't track every groove in the road like the Advans. Where the Yokos made it hard to know if your alignment was dead on because they were always pulling one way or another, the PS2's tracked straight ahead right out the door.

4) Sidewalls are softer. You can even tell this by pushing on them with your finger. This was actually the one complaint I ever read about these tires, but usually only in direct comparison to the Advans, so I'll be paying particular attention to this.

We are going to get a grip of rain over the next few days so I'll have a good idea how they do in the wet. Other than that I'll be burning off the mold release for 300 miles or so before I take any crazy 80 mph 90 degree turns. :D

After that I'll take them to the canyons where I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing how they match up with the Yokos.

-nurb2-

gevo
02-16-2005, 12:43 AM
I got ps2's about 2 months ago. I did the whole research thing and came to the same conclusions. You're right about the sidewall "flex". But once you get past that they grip as well as the advans IMHO. They really kick ass in the rain. I've had them up to 90 mph(for testing purposes only) in a pretty good rain and hydroplaning was minimal at most.

QuickShifter
02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
You're right about the sidewall "flex". But once you get past that they grip as well as the advans IMHO

Uhhhhh...... your IMHO just lost a lot of credibility :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Senshi
02-16-2005, 02:21 AM
ive had them for a few months now and even took them to the track once :? they sucked alot at the track unlike the advans but for daily driving they are pritty good i wouldnt say they are as good as the advans for grip but they are ok and they have a much more comfy ride to them but they are amazing in the rain u can drive just has hard as u can in the dry :D

GokuSSJ4
02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
you should of tried the 245/40/17's KD's (they work great with stock rims)
i have 255/40/17's on 17x8.5 rims they work amazing

Senshi
02-16-2005, 03:32 PM
goku cant the 255/40/17 fit on stock rims?

Miss Evo8
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I had those on my civic they kick ass in the rain!!! Kinda expensive though $100 for 195/55/14 I don't know about a 17. Very smooth quiet ride though.

gevo
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
You're right about the sidewall "flex". But once you get past that they grip as well as the advans IMHO

Uhhhhh...... your IMHO just lost a lot of credibility :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I didn't know I had any credibility to begin with! :) I think any conclusions on tire performance are subjective at best and should be based on personal experience and desired results. It's not like I have never rolled on the stock advans and just pulled "IMHO" out of my ass! :) This of course is just MHO. :D

BTW.. I have 255-40-17's on my stock wheels.

GokuSSJ4
02-16-2005, 09:06 PM
goku cant the 255/40/17 fit on stock rims?yes they do!!! but on stock suspension you are better off going with 245/40/17's (since they have that size available) with the RA's its a different story since there not available on the 245 series.

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM

KDs are the best performance tire to replace the advans with

alex_alex
02-16-2005, 11:54 PM

KDs are the best performance tire to replace the advans with

i think the KD's are gonna be my next set of street tires.

In the meantime, i've decided to run the Ra-1's on the street. I figured . . . if i was paying 20 bucks a tire to get them shaved for the track anyways, might as well use up that tread on the road.

Takashi
02-17-2005, 11:00 PM
how much were the PS2's?

nurb2
02-17-2005, 11:52 PM
$183 each. The shop matched TireRack's price for the tires, plus install and lifetime rotations. TireRack is awesome to use for negotiating purposes. :lol: That was a good price since the best I found anywhere else was $209.99 each (installed) at Costco, before tax.

Tires are great so far. I upped the pressure on the fronts to 35 and they firmed up nice.

An added bonus is they are 3 pounds lighter per tire than the Advans. If the grip proves to be close and they last longer then I'll be pleased. Now I just need some dry weather so I can carve up some canyons. :twisted:

They also match up pretty well to the KD's in the dry, based on the TireRack survey:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

-nurb2-

nurb2
02-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I couldn't wait to try these in the twisties ... took the car to Santiago Canyon today and the grip was great. The road was pretty wet in some spots, dry in others. Not even a wobble ... took some sweeping curves at 90 on damp roads and there was no slip. My gut feeling is I will be very happy with the dry grip. Time will tell.

Tires were a little bouncy on bumps though ... I was only running 33/31 for pressure so I'll probably firm that up a bit.

Tried some side roads with much tighter curves like Live Oak Canyon and Modjeska Canyon but they were jacked. Lots of mud, dirt, rocks, floods and little streams, so no real feedback there. My car is nice and muddy though. :D

-nurb2-

Mister
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Damn, price isn't as bad as I was expecting for PS2's.
Good deal!