PDA

View Full Version : LOST POWER ON MY EVO + STOCK BOV PRODUCE SOUNDS

evomr
02-16-2005, 09:02 PM
I installed K&N Typhoon and the very next day I took them off.
So....after I installed the stock air intake back, the stock BOV now produce agressive sound, sounds like aftermarket BOV.
And the car doenst run as strong as before.

What should I do ?

Gear Grinder
02-16-2005, 09:05 PM
So....after I installed the stock air intake back, the stock BOV now produce agressive sound, sounds like aftermarket BOV.

What should I do ?
your BOV is backwards.

evomr
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I will shot some pic today, please take a look at it ok

thanks

inline4g63
02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Most intakes cause decrease in power without a tune/flash. So far I ahve only seen the injen make hp (but remember it comes with intercooler piping). I have the HKS RS intake and I felt it loose some torque down low but gained in the top end.

Hockeychamp
02-16-2005, 09:34 PM

What should I do ? I think the K&N instructions show the BOV, or DV installed backward! I think this is a mistake in their instructions! when I didi mine, I installed, and reinstalled it several times witht he instructions, and it didnt make sense! so I installed it the way I thought it should go, and then it worked great!

EvoPwr
02-16-2005, 09:55 PM
kinda weird i dunno how to explain it but i feel that my evo doesnt have same punch it did the first day i drove it.

i havent done anything to the motor yet still all stock, only had it for 5 days now...but it feels a little slower once the turbo kicks in.

possible that i kinda got used to pull that it has?

something sounds a little funny also i think it is the turbo but i dont remember hearing it the first 2 or 3 days. Any help?

Thanks

inline4g63
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
One fo the tuners posted on evom.net to stay away from K&N typhoon intake. I think it was AL from Dynoflash. He recommended bushur or HKS. I would stay away from the american brands as they are just for those who want to modify but want to stay legal (AEM and K&N have CARB stickers). THis is just my opinion. I say slap on some Japanese parts as the evo has lived and evolved in Japan. The tuners there should be very familiar with the car. And as always, you get what you pay for.

Hockeychamp
02-16-2005, 10:23 PM
I agree! I took that typhoon off, sold it on ebay for $50, and am now running an HKS RS! Way Better!

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2005, 10:35 PM
kinda weird i dunno how to explain it but i feel that my evo doesnt have same punch it did the first day i drove it.

i havent done anything to the motor yet still all stock, only had it for 5 days now...but it feels a little slower once the turbo kicks in.

something sounds a little funny also i think it is the turbo but i dont remember hearing it the first 2 or 3 days. Any help?

Thanks

you just get used to the power, I got a stomach ache the first time I got a test drive but I got used to the power.

gofaster87
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
One fo the tuners posted on evom.net to stay away from K&N typhoon intake. I think it was AL from Dynoflash. He recommended bushur or HKS. I would stay away from the american brands as they are just for those who want to modify but want to stay legal (AEM and K&N have CARB stickers). THis is just my opinion. I say slap on some Japanese parts as the evo has lived and evolved in Japan. The tuners there should be very familiar with the car. And as always, you get what you pay for.

Comon it doesnt matter where the part is made. I could care less if its American or japanese. RoadRace makes alot of items for the Evo and the DSMs, dont tell me there shit is crap becasue they are an American Co. My RNR kit is American made and I guarrantee you its better than that crappy HKS kit.

alex_alex
02-16-2005, 11:10 PM
you probably didn't re-connect the boost hose that plugs into the nipple on the bottom of the stock intake hose.

inline4g63
02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
gofaster87 we each are entitled to our own opinions. I don't mean to bash on ALL american intakes. If you can buy the intake at pep boys then I prefer not have it in my car.

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
well the bushur intake has shown the most gains more than all the japanese parts, it just so happens that both the aem and the k&n suck. I have the aps which is australian and kicks everybodys ass :P

gofaster87
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
gofaster87 we each are entitled to our own opinions. I don't mean to bash on ALL american intakes. If you can buy the intake at pep boys then I prefer not have it in my car.

Opinions are fine but it doesnt need to be an American vs Japanese thing. You were also generalizing on all parts not just intakes. My observations are usually based on just that actual observation and experience. Okay Im done now Im not going to lose it like I always do when someone makes a dumb remark.

Coolguy949
02-16-2005, 11:43 PM
that's ghey.....the reason the K&N isn't cause it's American. It's bad because of the design...plus it just flows a ton so it fuel cuts on the evo a lot. If anything, it's a japanese problem cause Mitsu didn't put big enough injectors on the evo.

alex_alex
02-16-2005, 11:47 PM
you probably didn't re-connect the boost hose that plugs into the nipple on the bottom of the stock intake hose.

HONESTLY, evomr, check out what im saying. b/c i had the exact same symptions after i took off my intake hose to try installing the MBC and i forgot to but it back on.

inline4g63
02-17-2005, 02:26 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=84166&highlight=typhoon

EvoPwr
02-17-2005, 08:43 PM
you just get used to the power, I got a stomach ache the first time I got a test drive but I got used to the power.

thats what i was figuring :cry: oh well it is still REALLY FUN!!!!!

GoneIn420
03-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Thanks

Did you refill with 91 "California-Piss Water", as I've heard here before. Same thing happened to me after I put my first tank of gas in, it didn't pull as hard when the boost came on. This is just my opinion but I think the dealers are putting 100 octane in the tanks before a sale. Or at least mixing the fuel to be 93-94 octane plus. I went down to my local 76, here in Perris off Ramona Expwy, filled up 5 gals of 100 VP, then topped off my tank with 91. It runs as strong as when it was new. Where did you buy your car? I bought mine in Ontario and there is a gas station nearby that sells 100, hmmm.

gofaster87
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Thanks

Did you refill with 91 "California-Piss Water", as I've heard here before. Same thing happened to me after I put my first tank of gas in, it didn't pull as hard when the boost came on. This is just my opinion but I think the dealers are putting 100 octane in the tanks before a sale. Or at least mixing the fuel to be 93-94 octane plus. I went down to my local 76, here in Perris off Ramona Expwy, filled up 5 gals of 100 VP, then topped off my tank with 91. It runs as strong as when it was new. Where did you buy your car? I bought mine in Ontario and there is a gas station nearby that sells 100, hmmm.

Thats an interesting thought, I wonder if they would really do that.

EvoPwr
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
that makes sense...a little too much sense. Thanks :D

onesicklambo
03-22-2005, 12:26 AM
that's ghey.....the reason the K&N isn't cause it's American. It's bad because of the design...plus it just flows a ton so it fuel cuts on the evo a lot. If anything, it's a japanese problem cause Mitsu didn't put big enough injectors on the evo.
um k&n typhoon i assume...i have the drop in..its great