PDA

View Full Version : question about spring rates...

MadStylez
02-17-2005, 08:07 AM
okay, i've been doing some reading and searching on the different type of springs out there for the Evo(teins, eibach, espelir, etc.) anyhow, i was wondering exactly how can different spring rates affect comfortable and performance? i know that spring rates have something to do with the car's stiffness and all...also, will the stock shocks be enough for the more aggressive drops like the Tein S-techs? (if anyone can find a topic about these, that would be great), thanks. :D

donatevo
02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Higher spring rates=more stiff ride, better handling.

CT9A RS
02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
higher spring rates will give u a stiffer ride. But the combination of the spring and shock u can sometimes soften up the ride with stiffer springs by softening the damper.thats of course with adjustable shocks.

Not always does stiffer = better handling. Too stiff can screw you as well depending on the surface u are driving on.

As for Tein S-techs the drop doesnt sound too aggressive but its possible to be bottoming out the shock. I dont know so i will still leave that too question.

If you want some better handling and just a spring to throw on your stock shock. You should check out Works and their Ride Springs. aprrox 20% stiffer, drops it about 22mm or 7/8 of an inch. And u can by bumpstops from them too. Im probably gonna be picking up their SS1 package these springs and their rear sway bar later on probably summer time.

ScoobySteve
02-20-2005, 11:23 AM
For stiff rides, there are many options you can understake, and a lot has to do with how far you want to take your ride.

Generally higher spring rates will end you in a stiffer ride, but if you want to combine it with aftermarket struts like the KYB AGX or if you want to go on for a full blown coil over kit, is up to you and how much you want to pay to play. Performance wise stock suspension can take you pretty far, especailly if you own an MR w/ the Billstein suspension. However, a good strut/spring como is extremely based on preference and driving style. So that's going to have to be upto you. For track use, stiffer is generally better, but if you're too stiff, issues with shock rebound, too much outside response and varying roadside conditions, i.e. rocks, snow, rain, dirt, gravel, poor tarmac, can drastically affect performance as well as ride comfort. The more agressive and responsive you want your ride to be, lowered and stiffer, is going to result in a more uncomfortable ride so if this is your daily driver, those are other issues you might want to take into consideration.

ANY aftermarket spring that's stiffer than stock will cause more wear to the stock struts and shocks, it could even be for softer if they are infact like CT9A EvoES said, bottoming out the shocks, and like I said, road conditions also contribute to this. Lowering your car, or even raising your car, i.e. for rallying, also takes play on the stock alignment settings. Since you can adjust the camber slightly with the eccentric bolt that holds the hub to the strut, the toe is most likely to be affected the most, and realignment will be necessary, worse case scenario, a new camber kit. So there are many things to consider.

If you are considering a coil over kit the guidelines aforementioned above also take play plus more. With a full blown over coil over kit you are more than likely to ahve to mix match ride height, along with shock dampening, and if even more technical, spring rates. Mix matching with ride height, and taking into consideration the affect it has on dampening can be a tedious and extremely technical experience, not to mention, to take advantage of constant coil over adjustments, an alignment eveyr single time would be needed. Many people buy coil over kits, but few actually mix match and play with the different options they offer.and take them to full use.

I know a lot of info, and goes beyond the original question, but who couldn't use more knowledge? :D

-Steve

DrMerl
02-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Is it possible for me to attain a better ride than stock and slightly better handling via coilovers for a 100% road car? (and maybe .5-.75 inch lower)

trannb
02-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Yes

CT9A RS
02-20-2005, 10:13 PM
if u want a comfortable coilover combo. Check out the HKS RS coilovers or the Zeal Setup Jeff from 500whp was testing a couple weeks back. U want something more beefy go with the JICs that Mueller tunes.

Always remember u get what u pay for.

KiLO
02-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but stiffer spring rates equal a stiffer ride only if the spring is a fixed rate spring. If you have a progressive rate spring, the ride will actually be softer than stock most likely for everyday driving. When you load the springs, that's when they tighten up and flatten your car out on the turns.

The Tein H.Techs are fixed rate springs I believe, and are probably most appropriate if you are tuning your car for touge.

Chris in SD
02-26-2005, 01:25 AM
The ride stiffness is a factor of the springs AND the damper rates. Personally, I've found cars with softer springs and firmer dampers (ie MR suspension) to be much more comfortable and suited to my driving style. I'm not trying to get wheels up at Buttonwillow...

DrMerl - If you want a great ride and better handling, find a set of Bilsteins. This is a tough task - I was trying to track some down before my Evo died. It will be well worth the trouble. I believe some vendors in the UK have them. Expect prices to be ~$2,500.

MadStylez
02-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks ScoobySteve, and everyone for the tech help...Hmm...alot of options out there for different coilovers...anyone experiment or know something about the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S II? would this setup be good for daily driver and future auto-Xs???

SoR
02-26-2005, 11:56 PM
DrMerl - If you want a great ride and better handling, find a set of Bilsteins. This is a tough task - I was trying to track some down before my Evo died. It will be well worth the trouble. I believe some vendors in the UK have them. Expect prices to be ~$2,500.

For that money you can get a set of decent adjustable coilovers with custom spring rates and valving and you can rebuild them after a while, don't have to toss them out when they die. :)
On the side note, I've seen people on Evom sell brand new Bilsteins for cheap, like ~1k