PDA

View Full Version : Blacked out headlights

BOO5150
02-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know what I'll need, and how 2 black out headlights myself? Besides black paint/ heatgun? What type glue 2 put back together? Any help or info appreciated :) Do they sell jdm black headlamps? If so where?

gevo
02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
You have to take off the entire front bumper.

WavMixer
02-17-2005, 03:31 PM
On the headlights you can re-heat the sealer and reuse it in most cases. Otherwise sinicone will work to reseal them.

BOO5150
02-17-2005, 03:55 PM
So I take the front bumper off, take headlights out, heat up the seals... now the piece that i'm going to paint black does it come out? Or do i have to mask stuff off? Also it's better to re-glue sealer so doesn't fog? Thanks for the help guys!

WavMixer
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
The chrome piece is a seperate piece. You have the clear cover, the chrome center and a black back piece.

Evo-8
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Here is a how to in fast forward from the master of blackouts.. or something..

1. remove bumper
2. remove headlights.
3. remove bulbs
4. heat edges with heat gun and remove clear lense.
5. remove chrome insert mask amber reflctor
6. paint
7. put back together going from step 5-3.
8. seal thoroughly with silicone
9. DO NOT DO IN MOIST WEATHER!!! {THis means dont do it any time soon unless ur gonna keep the headlights indoors for 5-10 days.

I have done many many of these and if i do nothing but work on them i can finish from removing to replacing bumper in 3 hrs. Since its ur first time it might take 10 hrs+ so be prepared to not have a car for a while.

BOO5150
02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info!

KiLO
02-25-2005, 09:21 PM
You might want to try Lamin-X film for the headlights. I did this on my taillights and was really happy with how it turned out. The thing about using this vinyl film is that if you get busted for it, all you have to do is peel it off, but in the meantime it sticks really well and is really durable. Also depends on how dark you want it though...

Just my .02

http://www.lamin-x.com

Evo-8
02-26-2005, 10:39 PM
You might want to try Lamin-X film for the headlights. I did this on my taillights and was really happy with how it turned out. The thing about using this vinyl film is that if you get busted for it, all you have to do is peel it off, but in the meantime it sticks really well and is really durable. Also depends on how dark you want it though...

Just my .02

http://www.lamin-x.com

i dont think hes talking about "smoking" the tail lights. Im pretty sure hes refurring the making the chrome on the inside of the headlights black.

evotistic
02-27-2005, 01:07 AM
What kind of paint should be used? I always wondered if the heat from the hid's was enough to damage the painted surface.