PDA

View Full Version : Hard rain + Evo = Evo in COMA now....

RaysurX
02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Driving through a HARD rain yesterday on FWY. Wasn't driving that fast and didn't drive through a pond...

BAM!!! Engine shuts down...
No SES lights....
Electrical systems still working....
Try to restart during coast.....cranks..but no dice.
Coast over to emergency lane, try to restart... no dice.

Waited 1 hour to see if engine or problem would dry or clear itself... no dice.

Dr Evo (Brian) shows up to help.. With Coolguy providing support via phone.... Big thank you by the way!!
We check piping... OK.
Check connections... OK.
Check valve cover....dry.
Check fuse box.... 20amp fuse blown (engine fuse)
Replace...with sacrificial 20amp..
Fuse blows again.
Wait about 40 more mins....
Replace fuse again...
Turn key to ON position (before trying to crank)...fuse blows.

Car loaded onto flatbed ambulance.....
In Intensive Care Unit (lol) ... and waiting to hear if the EVO will be out of ICU.........

Doctors tell me it could be a simple bridging of wires because of water... a shorted harness.... or worse case.. ECU blown.

Party or Funeral announcements to follow.... lol. :)

R.E.D
02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
I hope It's something simple. Sorry to hear this.

Coolguy949
02-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Steve, hope everything turns out OK. Sorry I couldnt be of more help to you, I was at the shop working on another evo. It's gotta be something electrical though. I had the exact problem on my eclipse and it was because water got in the ignition wires and toasted one of them. The whole loom got replaced as a result.

santhology
02-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Dang that really sucks.. Hope your Evo is going to be ok.

EvoPwr
02-20-2005, 02:33 PM
wow im sorry to hear that. i am very scared to drive my evo in the rain, but i havent run into any problems yet.

i hope everything turns out to be something simple GL.

Boosted
02-20-2005, 03:09 PM
damn dude, if your ECU is blown and I actually manae to tune my car tonight, you can use my stock ecu.

brwnrice
02-20-2005, 05:46 PM
i had the exact same problem happened to me. the culprit was the rear o2 sensor was hitting the chassis during engine deceleration. i had an anti foul plug that extended the o2 sensor near the chasis. took the anti foul plug out and no more fuse blown.

Macky
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
damn steve, hope your evo makes it out alright. where was it taken?

Wind Racer
02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
That's suck! :( Hopefully you can get your car fix, if not... Time for a MR...? :wink:

BOVBILLY
02-20-2005, 07:21 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!

CT9A RS
02-20-2005, 09:53 PM
damn that sux. Hope its an easy fix. good luck.

RaysurX
02-20-2005, 10:05 PM
damn steve, hope your evo makes it out alright. where was it taken?

To our friends... Matt, Eric, Doug, Todd, Dinh. :)

RaysurX
02-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Steve, hope everything turns out OK. Sorry I couldnt be of more help to you, I was at the shop working on another evo. It's gotta be something electrical though. I had the exact problem on my eclipse and it was because water got in the ignition wires and toasted one of them. The whole loom got replaced as a result.

No Rob... Thank you for taking the time to help.... I really appreciate the help you provided... you called it.. it was electrical. And I completely understand you had your hands tied up with work.

I can't but be very indebted to Brian.... he didn't need to come out and help me...but did. Once again... proof that our evo community helps one another in need.

And Braydon... thank you for the "loaner" offer... I'll be in touch.

I'll keep you guys posted..

Macky
02-21-2005, 12:49 AM
i have no work tomorrow and if i have a chance i will stop by at HB and see whats the status of your car 8)

GokuSSJ4
02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
sorry to hear about your car :(

MYFIRSTEVO
02-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Steve, hope everything is ok. Let me know if you need my help.
i'll pm you my #

RaysurX
02-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Steve, hope everything is ok. Let me know if you need my help.
i'll pm you my #

Thanx Alvin... I appreciate it.

gofaster87
02-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Should have asked I would have sold you one for 100.00.

RaysurX
02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Should have asked I would have sold you one for 100.00.

Ouch... :(

gofaster87
02-22-2005, 12:37 AM
If anything ever happens in which you need oem parts you should always ask people on the board. You can find almost every oem part laying around someones garage somewhere. I have crap laying everywhere.