PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Star?

Madruk
03-01-2005, 04:58 PM
K, I know this has been posted before, but after 30 mins of searching, I'll just ask again, and hope someone knows.

I've been looking to change my front and back Diamond stars to black. Either a new black emblem, or a carbon fiber one, or some way to paint them. Any info would be appreciated.

Chris in SD
03-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Personally, I'd buy another emblem from Mitsu or online, put it on a piece of newspaper and hit it with a couple of coats of gloss black. It bet it would look nice, esp. with a black UK Evo VIII badge...

Madruk
03-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Yea. Ive got a red Evo, Black UK badge (only reads Evo V///, centered under the star, below the trunk bend). Blacked out tails and headlights are on the way, only thing left to blackout is the mitsu emblem and my FMIC.

As for painting it, would I need to use the same paint that I'm going to use on my FMIC. Does the emblem need to be sanded and polished before I paint it?

On another note, I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but how do I get the front emblem off? Is it glued? Screwed?

Chris in SD
03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Yea. Ive got a red Evo, Black UK badge (only reads Evo V///, centered under the star, below the trunk bend). Blacked out tails and headlights are on the way, only thing left to blackout is the mitsu emblem and my FMIC.

As for painting it, would I need to use the same paint that I'm going to use on my FMIC. Does the emblem need to be sanded and polished before I paint it?

On another note, I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but how do I get the front emblem off? Is it glued? Screwed?

They are double-stick taped, if I remember correctly. I don't think you'd need to sand it. The paint should stick fine.

PM Solarxclipse (Noel) and ask him - he is my paint/badge guru...

Madruk
03-01-2005, 05:11 PM
PM Solarxclipse (Noel) and ask him - he is my paint/badge guru...

Will do, thanks a ton =)

WavMixer
03-01-2005, 05:22 PM
The rear badge is stuck on with double sided tape, however the front badge has two posts going through the bumper. I removed mine in the rear and painted the front. I just masked the painted surface surrounding the badge, scuffed it lightly with 600 wet/dry, primed and painted

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album392/DSC03269.sized.jpg

Madruk
03-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Sweet. What kinda paint?

WavMixer
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Sweet. What kinda paint?Any gloss black enamal should work. I don't remember the brand off hand, just something sitting in the garage.I also put a couple coats of clear on it too.

gevo
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Ooo...that's what I'm going to do.

onesicklambo
03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
i masked it off..buffed the gay chrome 1st with 1500, then put about 5 coats of reg black paint, and a few clear coats(all spray can paint)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/510000-510999/510973_17_full.jpg

ultraflip
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
your car's hot lambo!

EvoPwr
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM

where you getting the blacked out heads and tails?

WavMixer
03-01-2005, 09:54 PM
... It bet it would look nice, esp. with a black UK Evo VIII badge...I got that too:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album412/rear2.sized.jpg