PDA

View Full Version : Who got pulled over @ HIN???

Evolution22plus1
03-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I was over in LA for HIN and I saw a bunch of cars pulled over w/ their hoods popped, one of which was an EVO. Was that anyone from here? Anyone else get pulled over? And for what?

Boosted
03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
precisely why I didnt want to drive my car

turbolarry
03-06-2005, 02:26 PM
:lol:
For the cops it was propably like shooting fish in a barrel.

Richard EVO
03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I think the section of the California Vehicle Code that allows cops to search for illegal engine mods with "reasonable cause" is Unconstitutional. Under the 4th Amendment, the standard should be "probable cause," which is a higher standard. The next time I get stopped and a cop asks to look under the hood, I'm gonna test this in the courts.

EvoPwr
03-06-2005, 02:29 PM
For the cops it was propably like shooting fish in a barrel.

:lol: that is true, i mean come on everyone had to know that they had a great chance of being pulled over.

robi
03-06-2005, 02:30 PM
locking hood pins "my dad has the key"

EvoPwr
03-06-2005, 02:31 PM

haha thats a good one

Richard EVO
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Robi -

Your dad must be at least 90. Can he find the key? lol :D

Boosted
03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Robi -

Your dad must be at least 90. Can he find the key? lol :D

hahahahaa

evolved
03-07-2005, 01:39 PM
If it was the Black Evo with black wheels it was me.
I was stopped taking a left when the cop pulled me over.
He was coming from a side street, lit me up with his light then almost hit my buddy so he could get behind me (I was stopped at the light, my buddy was right behind me, he had to back up for the cop to pull in)

I have dark ass windows, but we had them down just incase. So he pulls me over and tells me it is because of that I have a big intercooler just hanging off the front (Stock). And I have an exhaust (also stock).
I tell the cop that it is stock on an Evo. He says "I dont know about all that."
Then he tells me to pop the hood. I wasnt to sure if this is totally legal, but why not.
Right off the start he stated that this wasnt legal and pointed to my intake system.
I have the Injen intake and hardpipe system. I told him it is carb legal and that I had Injen send me out the cert. I got it last week, but havent put it on the car yet. He basically told me I was a liar.
Then the rest of his group got looking and told me that the HKS SSQV was illegal and I wouldnt pass smog with it. I wasnt even about to argue, (I was still fuming about this ass hat questioning my integrity).
The cop was still trying to say that the intercooler was illegal so I pulled out my evo book and showed him the page on intercooler.

After what seemed like an hour (and a million people driving by saying LET HIM GO) the cop finally says he wont write me a ticket for my intake or blow off valve because the exhaust was stock and so was the intercooler, and that was why he pulled me over.

I am still pissed off about this crap. I mean shit, I was stopped at a light, wasnt revving my engine or acting like a fool like the rest of the honda brigade. And I get pulled over.
Discrimination rears its ugly head again.

Oh yea and the best part. My HKS type 0 Turbo Timer is a fuel adjustment machine (Or so says Captain Dipshit)

I have been serving my country for over 5 years. I have been in the hottest places in the world and the coldest dog eating Korean towns. I have dedicated a large portion of my life for the freedoms we enjoy. I have saved my hard earned money to purchase a car I really love. THIS IS BULLSHIT, IT IS DISCRIMINATION, AND WE NEED TO ALL COME TOGETHER AND STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.
As we all got together to see HIN, got pulled over for "illegal modifications", robberies were taking place, rapes, Murder, and Kidnappings.
LAPD has got some jacked up priorities.

Sorry for the rant, but man I am pissed off about this.

itsmeeeugene
03-07-2005, 01:44 PM
man it really pisses me off when they assume a car is modified even when it IS stock. :evil:

itsnino
03-07-2005, 01:48 PM
my friend tried getting in, but it was too packed. he was driving his new STi but he didnt get hassled whatsoever. cops must love evos :D

gofaster87
03-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I was stopped taking a L when the cop pulled me over.
He was coming from a side street, lit me up with his light then almost hit my buddy so he could get behind me (I was stopped at the light, my buddy was right behind me, he had to back up for the cop to pull in)

I have dark ass windows, but we had them down just incase. So he pulls me over and tells me it is because of that I have a big intercooler just hanging off the front (Stock). And I have an exhaust (also stock).
I tell the cop that it is stock on an Evo. He says "I dont know about all that."
Then he tells me to pop the hood. I wasnt to sure if this is totally legal, but why not.
Right off the start he stated that this wasnt legal and pointed to my intake system.
I have the Injen intake and hardpipe system. I told him it is carb legal and that I had Injen send me out the cert. I got it last week, but havent put it on the car yet. He basically told me I was a liar.
Then the rest of his group got looking and told me that the HKS SSQV was illegal and I wouldnt pass smog with it. I wasnt even about to argue, (I was still fuming about this ass hat questioning my integrity).
The cop was still trying to say that the intercooler was illegal so I pulled out my evo book and showed him the page on intercooler.

After what seemed like an hour (and a million people driving by saying LET HIM GO) the cop finally says he wont write me a ticket for my intake or blow off valve because the exhaust was stock and so was the intercooler, and that was why he pulled me over.

I am still pissed off about this crap. I mean shit, I was stopped at a light, wasnt revving my engine or acting like a fool like the rest of the honda brigade. And I get pulled over.

Oh yea and the best part. My HKS type 0 Turbo Timer is a fuel adjustment machine (Or so says Captain Dipshit)

I have been serving my country for over 5 years. I have been in the hottest places in the world and the coldest dog eating Korean towns. I have dedicated a large portion of my life for the freedoms we enjoy. I have saved my hard earned money to purchase a car I really love. THIS IS BULLSHIT, IT IS DISCRIMINATION, AND WE NEED TO ALL COME TOGETHER AND STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.
As we all got together to see HIN, got pulled over for "illegal modifications", robberies were taking place, rapes, Murder, and Kidnappings.

Thats why Im moving out of California.

EvoPwr
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I was stopped taking a L when the cop pulled me over.

Thats why Im moving out of California.

ahhh dont let the cops win

BOVBILLY
03-07-2005, 02:01 PM
YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SUCKED FOR US WHO SHOWED OUR CARS @ H.I.N.

ROLL OUT WAS AT MIDNIGHT. THERE WAS PROBABLY, 20 OR SO, PLAIN CLOTHED OFFICERS, SEARCHING EVERYONES CAR.

THEY ASKED FOR EVERYONES REGISTRATION. CHECKED THE V.I.N.'S ON THE DRIVER DOOR, UNDER THE HOOD & MOTOR. I MEAN EVERYONE. PLUS, SOME OF THEM HAD 35mm SLR CAMERA'S, TAKING PICTURES OF THEM.

WHAT A BUST FOR US WHO ENJOY TO SHOW!

gofaster87
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
The dickhead CHP officer that lives nextdoor admitted to me that they are told by the commanding officer to give tickets for all devices even with documented proof of a CARB certification. He said they just tell people to take it to court. This mentality exemplifies the whole California attitude which I dont care for anymore.

Macky
03-07-2005, 02:06 PM
exemplies

:?:

gofaster87
03-07-2005, 02:13 PM
exemplies

:?:

Comon you couldnt figure out what I meant.

Macky
03-07-2005, 02:25 PM
no, seriously, do tell…..8)

Chris in SD
03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Sam, it's no better in other states. VA, TX, etc. I was getting stopped in VA for my RMR exhaust all the time ("What's that big shiny thing hanging down there") and then I got a ticket on FREAKING EASTER for my tint and no front plate. Of course as I was being written for my sub-95dB RMR exhaust, some assclown in a Rustang comes flying by us with open headers... I looked at the cop like, " :roll: "

The only hope is that more and more younger, car enthusiastic guys become cops. They can then enlighten their training officers.

Finally - Billy, that completely sucks. I would never show @ HIN again.

gofaster87
03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Vegas for me!!!!

BOVBILLY
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Sam, it's no better in other states. VA, TX, etc. I was getting stopped in VA for my RMR exhaust all the time ("What's that big shiny thing hanging down there") and then I got a ticket on FREAKING EASTER for my tint and no front plate. Of course as I was being written for my sub-95dB RMR exhaust, some assclown in a Rustang comes flying by us with open headers... I looked at the cop like, " :roll: "

The only hope is that more and more younger, car enthusiastic guys become cops. They can then enlighten their training officers.

Finally - Billy, that completely sucks. I would never show @ HIN again.

This is the last H.I.N. I will do. The reason they were checking I found was, stolen motors in cars. That is why they checked the V.I.N. against the motor/chasis! Make sense!

Chris in SD
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Not to mention it's a good way to hassle "ricers"... :x

BOVBILLY
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
PLUS, THEY WERE TELLING/ASKING PEOPLE TO TRAILER THEIR CARS. ASKING THEM "YOU ARE NOT DRIVING THIS HOME, RIGHT?"

Deca Auto
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I say if it passes smog in california leave us alone. Why haggle over modifications if it passes? If they really want to fight polution they need to get all the old ass cars off the road. Thats the only loophole in the system is if you get a old car that is smog exempt they don't care what you do.

Richard EVO
03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
You don't need a smog test in Calif. until your car is 6 years old. I plan to avoid taking a test early.

EvoPwr
03-07-2005, 04:54 PM
You don't need a smog test in Calif. until your car is 6 years old. I plan to avoid taking a test early.

yea i dont want to do a smog test after i start my modifications, ill just sell the dam thing and get a new evo :D

500whp
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
hey Evolved i know how feel man, I'm in Marines my MOs is Infantry. Most of cops let me know when they find out i'm a marines, but one time this asshole on highway 10, gave a ticket for going 82mph, he said a litle too fast. 2mph geeze. anyway i serve my country in Iraq for 9 months, came back septmeber 2004. rightnow i'm about one week from my EAS. I'm enhoying my terminal leave. :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/vboy425/5.jpg

what unit r you w/? i was there in 03 w/ 4th LAR, we were attachted to 2/8, then 3/5 attached to us. If you need anything let me know! will hook up a fellow 03 up =)

evolved
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Yup, after this I am heading back to WA. Smog there is easy as hell. (most counties dont even require it).
Had enough of cali

Richard EVO
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM
After reading about all the hassles people got getting their EVOs searched by the cops at Hot Import Nights, I am beginning to wonder about the wisdom of going to EVO mini-meets (I usually go to Torrance) and hanging out in a public parking lot with about 15 loud EVOs with their hoods open. I don't want to invite trouble from the cops, and I sure don't want another search of my engine bay.

I think there is a new crime on the books in Calif. Instead of DUI, it is DAE. "Driving An EVO." :(

Macky
03-07-2005, 06:39 PM
the car already attracts so much attention, its the j/asses that drive around like so that catch the po-po's eye even more.

that said, its not entirely our fault. its a given. this is a public message board. other parties (unwanted ones included) can and will view meet locations here and can wait or show up there.

the cypress meet for sure will be a touchy meet, because of those warranty concerns plus obviously local law enforcement.

my advice would be to go there (or to any meet) keeping a level head and avoiding (i know its extremely hard) all temptation to do something foolish. that will at least lessen the chances of getting harassed by local pd.

EvoPwr
03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
the car already attracts so much attention, its the j/asses that drive around like so that catch the po-po's eye even more.

that said, its not entirely our fault. its a given. this is a public message board. other parties (unwanted ones included) can and will view meet locations here and can wait or show up there.

the cypress meet for sure will be a touchy meet, because of those warranty concerns plus obviously local law enforcement.

my advice would be to go there (or to any meet) keeping a level head and avoiding (i know its extremely hard) all temptation to do something foolish. that will at least lessen the chances of getting harassed by local pd.

Chris in SD
03-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Jeffrey, I was an 0331 with K/3/5 before I blew out my shoulder and lat-moved...

BOVBILLY
03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
0331 = GUNNY?

moogle
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I think there is a new crime on the books in Calif. Instead of DUI, it is DAE. "Driving An EVO." :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blaze
03-07-2005, 11:44 PM

I tried that once. The offered to saw open my hood.
(suddenly I remembered where my key was)

Seriously though, if they can't get into your car, they'd likely tow it to a REF station or impound yard, so be careful.

Blaze

airforce1
03-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Yup,

Like my previous post, I just thought HIN was not all that. To top it off, cops pulling people for gay stuff like tint was just ridiculous. To have the show cars pulled over and get checked just the straw that broke the camels back for me. If this happens to even show cars, who the hell wants to even show? Anyways, not enought Evos were there to represent (I'm not knockin' on the Evos showing there, thanks for showing what Evos can do) to make me want to come back. I think the Mitsu Appreciation Day would be better suited for me. I would be seeing other cool Evos, the mods in plain view (not in darkness), meet other cool peeps, and see the Evo 9. BTW, I am also active duty as well. I use my military ID to get out of stuff, ususally works esp if the cop was prior active. Hope to see everyone April 23rd.

Capt Kim, US Air Force

evo tr1p
03-08-2005, 01:06 PM
waddup y'all.

actually i was one of the evos that got hassled that night. i remeber exactly the events that unfolded b/c i was so pissed for getting hassled.

i had just left the conv. center after taking pix for my website. i was on fig and running the car around 3-4k rpm. i got caught at the pico light when i noticed a chippie on my right lane but he didn't pull up next to me. then i figured he was running my plate. when the light turned green, he pulls up next to me and tell me to turn the corner and pull over.

after doing so, i asked him what i had done wrong, and he says that my exhaust was too loud. and then the conversation went like this:

me: my exhaust is 50 state legal.
chp: what do you mean legal.
me: i mean that it meets emissions and the 95 db sound requirements.
chp: i see, you mind giving me your license, reg, and proof of ins?
me: sure.

at this point the chippie walks to his car and then another plain-clothes officer with a lapd badge approaches me.

lapd: hey so what mods do you have on your car?
me: nothing much. exhaust, intake, and fmic, but i don't have anything illegal on the car. (of course, i didn't mention things that would get me in hot water)
lapd: oh really? hey, what kind of car is this?
me: it's a mitsubishi evolution.
lapd: oh really? i've never seen under the hood of this kind of car before. i'm a big car buff myself. would you mind letting me see under the hood of your car?
me: officer, you don't have to patronize me. if you want to check under the hood, come and say it.
lapd: (staring at me for a moment) ok fine, can you pop your hood for me?
lapd: why don't you step out of the car for a sec.

so i pop my hood and then he starts going over it with a microscope, but not very intelligently.

lapd: (looking at my stock tubing from ic to manifold) this isn't stock.
me: excuse me?
lapd: this piping here isn't stock is it? you put this in?
me: (jokingly) you weren't kidding when you said you never seen this car under the hood. i assure you officer, it is completely stock.
lapd: (pointing at all the oem piping) are you the first owner of this car?
me: yes.
lapd: you mean to tell me that this was all there when you bought it?
me: officer, take a picture of the engine, go to a mitsu dealer and then compare it. if it looks different, call me and i will gladly let you write me a ticket.
lapd: (then he starts pointing to the slight fraying of the braided sections of the piping) i'm sure mitsu didn't install this here leaving the ends fraying.
me: you're right, they didn't. i think the shop that installed my intercooler had to remove those sections.
lapd: (stays quiet for a moment) so what are the mods you have on this car again? who makes the exhaust you have on?
me: (sigh) intercooler, intake and exhaust. the exhaust is made by rmr. they are a local company.

by this time, there are 3 more plain clothes hovering over my engine with flashlights and all different badges.

me: wow, this a big multi-agency operation isn't it?
lasd: yeah.
me: interesting. i make sure to ride my bike to next year's event.
lasd: (chuckles)

the chippie that took my license comes back with it and hands it to me.

me: so officers am i getting ticketed for anything this evening?
lapd: no consider yourself lucky tonight. we could but we're not. you're free to go. thanks for your time.
me: thanks a bunch asshole...er... i mean officer. (well that part i didn't say, but was thinking.)

he takes a pic of my plate. and then they all dispersed on to the next car.

that shit made me 40 minutes late for my next photog session.

oh yeah, HIN is turning too commercial for me. this year's sucked ass. i don't recommend it to anyone, esp. with the cops lurking...

500whp
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
0331 = GUNNY?

0331 Mechine Gunner =)

500whp
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Jeffrey, I was an 0331 with K/3/5 before I blew out my shoulder and lat-moved...

good to go =) ill hook it up more next time =)

Richard EVO
03-08-2005, 02:07 PM
waddup y'all.

actually i was one of the evos that got hassled that night. i remeber exactly the events that unfolded b/c i was so pissed for getting hassled.

i had just left the conv. center after taking pix for my website. i was on fig and running the car around 3-4k rpm. i got caught at the pico light when i noticed a chippie on my right lane but he didn't pull up next to me. then i figured he was running my plate. when the light turned green, he pulls up next to me and tell me to turn the corner and pull over.

after doing so, i asked him what i had done wrong, and he says that my exhaust was too loud. and then the conversation went like this:

me: my exhaust is 50 state legal.
chp: what do you mean legal.
me: i mean that it meets emissions and the 95 db sound requirements.
chp: i see, you mind giving me your license, reg, and proof of ins?

at this point the chippie walks to his car and then another plain-clothes officer with a lapd badge approaches me.

lapd: hey so what mods do you have on your car?
me: nothing much. exhaust, intake, and fmic, but i don't have anything illegal on the car. (of course, i didn't mention things that would get me in hot water)
lapd: oh really? hey, what kind of car is this?
me: it's a mitsubishi evolution.
lapd: oh really? i've never seen under the hood of this kind of car before. i'm a big car buff myself. would you mind letting me see under the hood of your car?
me: officer, you don't have to patronize me. if you want to check under the hood, come and say it.
lapd: (staring at me for a moment) ok fine, can you pop your hood for me?
lapd: why don't you step out of the car for a sec.

so i pop my hood and then he starts going over it with a microscope, but not very intelligently.

lapd: (looking at my stock tubing from ic to manifold) this isn't stock.
me: excuse me?
lapd: this piping here isn't stock is it? you put this in?
me: (jokingly) you weren't kidding when you said you never seen this car under the hood. i assure you officer, it is completely stock.
lapd: (pointing at all the oem piping) are you the first owner of this car?
me: yes.
lapd: you mean to tell me that this was all there when you bought it?
me: officer, take a picture of the engine, go to a mitsu dealer and then compare it. if it looks different, call me and i will gladly let you write me a ticket.
lapd: (then he starts pointing to the slight fraying of the braided sections of the piping) i'm sure mitsu didn't install this here leaving the ends fraying.
me: you're right, they didn't. i think the shop that installed my intercooler had to remove those sections.
lapd: (stays quiet for a moment) so what are the mods you have on this car again? who makes the exhaust you have on?
me: (sigh) intercooler, intake and exhaust. the exhaust is made by rmr. they are a local company.

by this time, there are 3 more plain clothes hovering over my engine with flashlights and all different badges.

me: wow, this a big multi-agency operation isn't it?
lasd: yeah.
me: interesting. i make sure to ride my bike to next year's event.
lasd: (chuckles)

the chippie that took my license comes back with it and hands it to me.

me: so officers am i getting ticketed for anything this evening?
lapd: no consider yourself lucky tonight. we could but we're not. you're free to go. thanks for your time.
me: thanks a bunch asshole...er... i mean officer. (well that part i didn't say, but was thinking.)

he takes a pic of my plate. and then they all dispersed on to the next car.

that shit made me 40 minutes late for my next photog session.

oh yeah, HIN is turning too commercial for me. this year's sucked ass. i don't recommend it to anyone, esp. with the cops lurking...

I think you handled it pretty well, except for one thing. I would not have consented to a search of my engine bay. But I want to test the law that they can look under your hood with "reasonable cause" in the courts.

I think there is a new crime on the books in Calif. Instead of DUI, it is DAE. "Driving An EVO" :(

BOVBILLY
03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
ALSO, I DON'T THINK IT IS ILLEGAL, TO HAVE PARTS OF YOUR MOTOR "CHROMED OUT". IS IT A CRIME, TO DECORATE YOUR ENGINE BAY WITH PAINT AND CHROME? DONT' THINK SO. SO YOU GUYS CAN USE THAT AGAINST THEM TOO!

AND REPLACING THE STOCK LINES, TUBING, ETC..., WITH S.S. BRAIDED LINE ISN'T ILLEGAL EITHER. YOU CAN EXPLAIN, IT IS SAFER AND MAKES THE CAR RUN CLEANER!

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

PiNG
03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
ALSO, I DON'T THINK IT IS ILLEGAL, TO HAVE PARTS OF YOUR MOTOR "CHROMED OUT". IS IT A CRIME, TO DECORATE YOUR ENGINE BAY WITH PAINT AND CHROME? DONT' THINK SO. SO YOU GUYS CAN USE THAT AGAINST THEM TOO!

AND REPLACING THE STOCK LINES, TUBING, ETC..., WITH S.S. BRAIDED LINE ISN'T ILLEGAL EITHER. YOU CAN EXPLAIN, IT IS SAFER AND MAKES THE CAR RUN CLEANER!

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

good point. but i wouldn't be so sure, bcause state ref stated to me that even having a paperclip tacked onto any emission unit in the car is illegal. But changing out for safer and cleaner reason should be ok, but i wonder if they will think the same about it.

p.s.
i think you need to change out your keyboard, i've noticed recently your CAPS LOCK IS EITHER STUCK OR YOUR SHIFT BUTTON IS STUCK OR YOU LIKE TO PREETENENEND TO YELL! LIKE THIS! :wink:

Macky
03-08-2005, 03:35 PM
billy always talks in CAPS :wink:

PiNG
03-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Ohhh i see, i was about to paypal him $5 to go get himself a new keyboard. 8) j/k . cool

BOVBILLY
03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
YES I DO!!!

YOU WILL KNOW WHEN I AM YELLING!

NipponHamFighters
03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Anyone who attends HIN or Vision Entertainment events know that they do get compensated by Local authorities right? This is common knowledge from many teams back in the day. That is why many people choose to boycott Vision Entertainment events. This happens at every show at LA conventions center and San Mateo. I have seen them pull over a whole hall during roll out at HIN in San Mateo 2002. This is common practice. Luckily I was in the Main Hall and we were released first, but the 2nd hall was pretty much rolled.

Boosted
03-09-2005, 01:43 AM
YES I DO!!!

this is usually obvious when the whole worlds begins to tremble as billy goes running after the icecream man

EvoPwr
03-09-2005, 01:58 AM
YES I DO!!!

this is usually obvious when the whole worlds begins to tremble as billy goes running after the icecream man :lol: omg thats a keeper