PDA

View Full Version : Evo brembos and STI brembos interchangable?

turbomag evo
03-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I have and Evo and my bro has a STI, does anyone know if the calipers are interchangable on the two cars? just for fun.

rammsteinmatt
03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
you would seriously risk either one of those cars just to see if the brakes work interchangeably?

Macky
03-06-2005, 05:57 PM
they should be nearly identical. but why? youd' have to be seriously bored out of your wits to think this up :wink:

Boosted
03-06-2005, 11:16 PM
please pm us all details of this so we can be there to witness the "test" crash I mean drive...

rammsteinmatt
03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
really the only way to test if they are the same is a 70-0 test, but dont bother seeing if the brakes really work first

Chris in SD
03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
A good way to check is whether the pads are interchangeable... Sort of like the Honda S2000 fronts and Integra fronts.

Absinthe
03-07-2005, 12:28 PM
A good way to check is whether the pads are interchangeable... Sort of like the Honda S2000 fronts and Integra fronts.

the pads are not the Evo runs a thicker rotor than the STI so the pads are different size i doo bleive though that the STI and the G35C are interchangeable.

Blaze
03-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I have and Evo and my bro has a STI, does anyone know if the calipers are interchangable on the two cars? just for fun.

What would the fun be in doing that?

This reminds me of the guy who removed his front bumper brace to save weight.

If you got in an accident and the insurance company found out, they may not be very pleased by the cause.

Why don't you try switching intercoolers....for fun. :roll:

Blaze

rammsteinmatt
03-07-2005, 03:14 PM

heh, thats an even better idea :roll:

gofaster87
03-07-2005, 03:36 PM

What would the fun be in doing that?

This reminds me of the guy who removed his front bumper brace to save weight.

If you got in an accident and the insurance company found out, they may not be very pleased by the cause.

Blaze

Have you seen the useless brace on the Evo. Its there to pass import laws not to save you or the car. I could jump up and down on that thing and snap it off.

Blaze
03-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Have you seen the useless brace on the Evo. Its there to pass import laws not to save you or the car. I could jump up and down on that thing and snap it off.

Removing that brace is definately a weight savings. No argument there! But let's look at the consequences.

I'm not an adjuster, so correct me if I'm mistaken.

But, if you removed any part of your OEM safety equipment....
and you're in an accident (say in this case a frontal collision)....
and the company or repair shop finds out that it isnt't there....

I would consider your policy/claim void and you'll be on your own to with the bill. If you don't believe me, call up your policy holder and run a few scenarios by them:

1. I got a concusion hitting my head against the gauge panel where my airbag use to be. Can I have money for my medical bills?

2. My engine bay collasped into itself in a 30MPH run in with a tree. Can i have a new engine? Bumper? No...that's in my garage undamage. Now about my check....

3. I made a lateral change to Subaru brakes on my car but they locked up when I went drifing around....

*click*
<---insert dial tone here.

Macky
03-07-2005, 04:07 PM
removing parts off the car to save weight w/o thinking over what consequences it brings is a reason why those individuals aren’t in the business of building race cars.

Just my .02s

Chris in SD
03-07-2005, 04:08 PM

the pads are not the Evo runs a thicker rotor than the STI so the pads are different size i doo bleive though that the STI and the G35C are interchangeable.

Here's your answer: No, they are not interchangeable. The pads are a good measuring stick because they are aligned specifically with the pistons and the brake force. Too much or too little, or some misalignment and you will have big problems.

500whp
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
YES at least the brake pads are interchangeable

i guess what that means that teh cliaper is teh same, the rotors and brake pads are teh same. Not sure if the mounting points are!

Absinthe
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM

i guess what that means that teh cliaper is teh same, the rotors and brake pads are teh same. Not sure if the mounting points are!

the rotors are the same you sure about that?

Considering the the wheels studs are in different places its impossible for the rotors to be the same dont spread conjecture as a vendor people might do something stupid like believe you.

5x114.3 bolt pattern
vs
5x100 bolt pattern

500whp
03-08-2005, 01:10 AM

the rotors are the same you sure about that?

Considering the the wheels studs are in different places its impossible for the rotors to be the same dont spread conjecture as a vendor people might do something stupid like believe you.

5x114.3 bolt pattern
vs
5x100 bolt pattern

Yes you are right about the rotors =), but the brake pads im 100% sure its the same =)

EvoVIII
03-08-2005, 01:43 AM
5x114.3 bolt pattern
vs
5x100 bolt pattern

now the 05STI uses 5x114.3 bolt pattern so it should be the same

trinydex
03-14-2005, 03:33 AM
the pads are the same as jeff has pointed out, undoubtedly because he's starin' at two sets of pads as we've jabbered about it.

the sti i believe runs a thinner rotor with a closer clamped (i don't know what to call it) caliper, it uses a thinner pad. bascially if you're running thicker than stock rotors on your stock brembo calipers (gt40s ap rotors from mueller) you could run an sti pad and it would either fit or save you just that much more shaving.

sti pads are just thinner versions of the evo pads.

isn't the brembo brakes on all these new cars or on all oem cars with brembos off like... some porsche or ferrari? so i thinks they're all just retrofits for each car.

500whp
03-14-2005, 01:27 PM
i believe the new 05 STis have 5-114.3 bolt patterns so i think they will fit!

Macky
03-14-2005, 01:35 PM
yea the new STi's have the same wheel size and bolt pattern as the Evo

Absinthe
03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
subaru and Nissan share the same botl mounting points for the caliper if we also share them with nissan then this maybe and easier switch but you would have to use evo rotors. If we dont share mounting points with nissan for the brakes then you would need to fabricatge some sort of bracket.

rammsteinmatt
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
but that brings us back tot he original question: why would you want to switch them out?

IMO the evo looks badass with red calipers, gold calipers would look pretty lame if you ask me. if you want to see what the two will look like switched out why dont you just photochop it, you'll save a day of work

Absinthe
03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
could look cool on a white evo with bronze wheels.