PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: 7state Tail Light Mods

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 10:10 AM
In January I paid 7state to black out my headlights and tail lights. The quality of the work done on these was shit! To start with, my car was only 2 weeks old, not a scratch anywhere. The clear outer lenses were cracked when separating them, which I understand does happen sometimes. What I did not expect was the inside of the clear lens to have a big deep scratch. Also the inner red lenses were scratched by sliding them on the work bench, no towel to protect the soft plastic. When he applied the amber overlays for the turn signals, he used a razor blade and placed numerous scratches on the outside of the lens. So many that it actually looks like someone went over it with coarse sandpaper. The over lays lasted less than 2 weeks and I had to buy another set and redo them myself. While I was replacing the overlays, I noticed that they had been applied over silicone used to reseal the lenses, it’s no wonder they did not stick. That was two months ago and the overlays I installed are still in place with no problems.

The left tail light leaks so bad, you can see the water running down the lens on the inside! Needless to say this lens is permanently fogged. The right side tail light had such a thick bead of silicone holding it together that the light sticks out to the point it no longer is flush with the body. There is also a huge chip in the lens at the seam. Funny thing is when I saw the lens as it was separated; I didn’t see this big ass chip. It wasn’t until after he put the light back on my car that I spotted it. He was working on other lights at the same time as mine and I really get the feeling that he swapped my lights for another set that did not come out so well. What leads me to believe that he knowingly swapped my good lights for a trashed set is the fact that he has been telling me he would swap my lights out for a good pair. I had asked him to swap my lights for the ones in his car and he said no, he wouldn’t let me have his set. I wonder where he was planning on getting these lights to swap.

For 2 months he has been saying he would make it right. For 2 months it has been one excuse after another. For 2 months he has been doing other people’s lights. I can no longer sit back and do nothing as this guy continues to charge people to fuck up their cars.

I don’t claim to be an expert at blacking out head lights or painting, but I do know that you need to sand and primer a chrome surface before painting it. I brought my own sand paper and primer because State told me he did not do this. For those of you that have lights modified by 7state, beware your paint may not last long without proper preparation.

I have kept silent about this for 2 months in hope that he would keep his word and fix what he screwed up. Last month he said he would swap lights in 4 days, that was last month. Yesterday I PMed him telling him if he did not correct my situation, I would inform the members here about the quality of his work and total lack of customer service. I know he read my PM because I have seen that he has been logged on. Soon I will be taking close up hi-resolution pictures and post them here so you can see for yourself.

kimletrim
03-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I have seen the taillights personally and Wavemixer is accurate in his description. I got a few issues with 7 state as well, but since I just had them done, I will PM him first to see if he can resolve it.

One Evo Pinay
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
7state is the guy who lives in Long Beach right? I will ask my buddy who just got his headlights done last week see how things turn out. I think "kimletrim" just got them done on Wed also so someone should ask him how his turned out...

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 11:06 AM
7state is the guy who lives in Long Beach right? I will ask my buddy who just got his headlights done last week see how things turn out. I think "kimletrim" just got them done on Wed also so someone should ask him how his turned out...

In all fairness, my headlights turned out well. But then again, I did all the prep work as far as sanding, priming and painting. He never did come back the next week to install my front overlays, but after seeing how he applied the rears, I opted to purchase the overlays from Neil and install them myself. My issues are solely with the craftsmanship of the tail lights and lack of customer service. I realize that 7state is just a member and not a vendor, but once you charge someone for your services, it takes matters into a whole new prospective.

EvoRution
03-11-2005, 11:59 AM
You know, i've debated going this route myself - but in the end, decided it just wasnt worth it to put spray-paint-out-of-a-can-and-vinyl-overlayed taillights on a $35,000 car.

I know a lot of people want to go the "custom route" but its damn hard to match the quality of an OEM manufactured part.

That's why it's OEM JDM MR headlights/taillights for me (once i scrape up the $1100). Closeup, an injection molded amber insert inside the taillamp looks much better than a piece of vinyl stuck to the outside.

Sorry your car didn't turn out so good...

In all fairness, my headlights turned out well. But then again, I did all the prep work as far as sanding, priming and painting. He never did come back the next week to install my front overlays, but after seeing how he applied the rears, I opted to purchase the overlays from Neil and install them myself. My issues are solely with the craftsmanship of the tail lights and lack of customer service. I realize that 7state is just a member and not a vendor, but once you charge someone for your services, it takes matters into a whole new prospective.

Coolguy949
03-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I assume 7state charges money for these services?

If so, he's not allowed to advertise this on the forums since he's not a registered vendor.

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
You know, i've debated going this route myself - but in the end, decided it just wasnt worth it to put spray-paint-out-of-a-can-and-vinyl-overlayed taillights on a $35,000 car.

I know a lot of people want to go the "custom route" but its damn hard to match the quality of an OEM manufactured part.

That's why it's OEM JDM MR headlights/taillights for me (once i scrape up the $1100). Closeup, an injection molded amber insert inside the taillamp looks much better than a piece of vinyl stuck to the outside.

I'm saving up for a set as we speak.

I assume 7state charges money for these services?

If so, he's not allowed to advertise this on the forums since he's not a registered vendor.

Yes sir, you can find his posts here stating his fee for this dis-service

evolved_st8
03-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey WAV dont forget to mention the fact that YOU did all the porep work on the Taillights too. All i did was seperate the lenses. You are also the one who set the lenses down on the grass and on the trashcans. I told u that i would give u new lights and i will hold up my end of the bargain. You just need to be patient. I just got my spare set this week. And i need ur old lights back so i can make VII tails out of em. You can let me know what u wanna do. But dont conviently leave out the things that You did. And dont forget i gave u a discounted price still.

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey WAV dont forget to mention the fact that YOU did all the porep work on the Taillights too. All i did was seperate the lenses. You are also the one who set the lenses down on the grass and on the trashcans. I told u that i would give u new lights and i will hold up my end of the bargain. You just need to be patient. I just got my spare set this week. And i need ur old lights back so i can make VII tails out of em. You can let me know what u wanna do. But dont conviently leave out the things that You did. And dont forget i gave u a discounted price still.Yes I did all of the prep work on the painted parts (and I did take credit for what I did)

I never set the painted parts anywhere exept for on the card board used to protect your friends driveway from over spray. You had both the clear lenses and the red lenses on the workbench where they never left. These are the parts that ended up with scratches.

I believe that 2 months is long enough to be patient considering you were supposed to take care of it the next weekend.

Discount? You quoted me $75 online and then I paid you $100. I also did all of the painting on both my set of lights as well as the other set you were working on. I also paid you $25 for the overlays that I had to redo. I paid Neil $15 for the full set as you never put them on in the front and the ones in back came loose within two weeks.

I have kept this private up until now, because you have been stalling me or just plain ignoring me I have brought this out into the open. I would like for you to keep your end of the deal and I will post here informing everyone that you did indeed keep your end, when you do in fact keep it. As I mentioned before, I would like a set that has been split apart and I will finish the job. If you are going to replace them with stock nonmodified lights, I also expect a refund for the rears including compensation for the overlays I had to replace.

I'm ready to trade this weekend. Are you ready to fulfill your promise? I just think it's a shame that I had to post this just to get results from you.

Deca Auto
03-11-2005, 06:32 PM
If I remember correctly Noel used sandless primer....

BOVBILLY
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Wav, you coming to the meet this weekend???

MYFIRSTEVO
03-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Wav, you coming to the meet this weekend???

Billy what the fu@k does your post have to do with this topic???

hahhahah j/k. Thats why its just better to go with the real tail and headlight. Hope everything will end in peace. :D

BOVBILLY
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM
nothing. trying to stop the hate!

EvoPwr
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM

BILLY is always thinking of others :D

gevo
03-11-2005, 08:58 PM

He's a uniter, not a divider.

Evo-8
03-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I coulda swore i warned everyone about 7state.
Few red flags u guys ignored.

1. New member
2. his only referal was also a new member.
3. His prices were too cheap to make up for the time it takes to do these correctly.

Let's see if he atleast makes things right.

gofaster87
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM

If BILLY was thinking of others he would be bringing sun parts for my car.

BOVBILLY
03-11-2005, 11:19 PM

If BILLY was thinking of others he would be bringing sun parts for my car.

THAT IS WHY I AM JUST NOT BRINGING SUN PARTS FOR YOUR CAR, BUT I AM BRINGING SUN PARTS FOR EVERYONE'S CAR,

TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!

MUAHAHAHHAA

evo_dadi
03-12-2005, 02:12 AM
If I remember correctly Noel used sandless primer....

yes he does and i learned it from him also :wink: but i do all the work on the taillight myself except for the headlights sometimes.

i do the same work also in norcal and i try to work it out in case it fogs up.sorry to hear what happened to your tails wavmixer :cry: too bad noel got tendonitis so he had to stop offering black outs.

WavMixer
03-12-2005, 07:25 AM
nothing. trying to stop the hate!Uhh oh, Do I feel another group hug coming on?

http://wavmixer.com/smilies/grouphug.gif

In honesty I don't hate 7state or anyone else. I am very dissatified with the way my lights turned out though. I would rather have those stock ricer altezza looking stockers than the screwed up way my lights look now. When the lights were done it was dark and not until the next day that I saw just how bad they looked. Then once it rained and the fog never cleared up, it was all over. I can understand that he may be new to this, everyone has to start somewhere. But damnit all, if you screw something up, you need to fix it, especially if you charge for your work.

jdmitr
03-12-2005, 12:21 PM
i think im his first customer, anyway he swapped tails with me from the ones his car when he came to black out my headlights. They were fogging up real bad and i managed to fix the condensation. I live in palmdale too so wav ill prolly be able to help u at least fix the condensation problem, jus hit me up. pz

WavMixer
03-12-2005, 02:02 PM
If you have a red Evo, I'm the one that painted your housings. State did all the rest of the work though. I have more issues than just the fogging.

i think im his first customer, anyway he swapped tails with me from the ones his car when he came to black out my headlights. They were fogging up real bad and i managed to fix the condensation. I live in palmdale too so wav ill prolly be able to help u at least fix the condensation problem, jus hit me up. pz

evolved_st8
03-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Wav. I will make it right. Last thing i need is issues with members. I have another set of tails that i will seperate for you. I've just been so busy with work that i havent been able to seperate them yet. And if you give me ur tails back i'll make VII's out of them. We both win. And JDMITR i dont think we've ever met. I dont remember you.

WavMixer
03-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Wav. I will make it right. Last thing i need is issues with members. I have another set of tails that i will seperate for you. I've just been so busy with work that i havent been able to seperate them yet. And if you give me ur tails back i'll make VII's out of them. We both win. And JDMITR i dont think we've ever met. I dont remember you.That's fine with me. When can we make the exchange?

jdmitr
03-13-2005, 02:43 PM
oh sweet, thanks for the nice work. state, its ben, u dont remember me already? lol

alex_alex
03-13-2005, 06:18 PM

getting the JDM headlights doesn't really allow you to avoid hackjobbing too much though. The headlights are aligned differently and i think the left light is angled higher rather than the right one (like ours, presumably b/c it is further away from oncoming traffic).

Also, i think you need to do a bit of finagling to get the foglight to work.

I think most people end up doing the painted headlights and not the full replacement b/c 700 bucks can be much better spent elsewhere most of the time. . .

WavMixer
03-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Headlight alignment is adjustable and should make no difference.

DTunedEvoX
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Actually JDM headlight adjustment is difficult because its the housing thats difference ...

the USDM headlight housings are already cut up to drop off on the left (drivers) side ..

I think thats what he meant and not the adjustibility of going up and down. I'm glad I got in while Abtin was still in the buisness he even adjusted my headlight height ...

WavMixer
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Actually JDM headlight adjustment is difficult because its the housing thats difference ...

the USDM headlight housings are already cut up to drop off on the left (drivers) side ..

I think thats what he meant and not the adjustibility of going up and down. I'm glad I got in while Abtin was still in the buisness he even adjusted my headlight height ...Such is the price that a n00blet must pay :(

WavMixer
03-15-2005, 11:32 AM
You have been saying this for 2 months. Can we set a date as to when you will make this right?

Wav. I will make it right. Last thing i need is issues with members. I have another set of tails that i will seperate for you. I've just been so busy with work that i havent been able to seperate them yet. And if you give me ur tails back i'll make VII's out of them. We both win. And JDMITR i dont think we've ever met. I dont remember you.

WavMixer
03-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Wav. I will make it right. Last thing i need is issues with members. I have another set of tails that i will seperate for you. I've just been so busy with work that i havent been able to seperate them yet. And if you give me ur tails back i'll make VII's out of them. We both win. And JDMITR i dont think we've ever met. I dont remember you.I'm still waiting, what's the holdup now?

Evo-8
03-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Wav. I will make it right. Last thing i need is issues with members. I have another set of tails that i will seperate for you. I've just been so busy with work that i havent been able to seperate them yet. And if you give me ur tails back i'll make VII's out of them. We both win. And JDMITR i dont think we've ever met. I dont remember you.I'm still waiting, what's the holdup now?

Dun Dun duuuuuuuuu

If he doesn't fix it maybe I'll have you come by on a weekend and I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if we can fix the condensation atleast. Not to worry I wont be charging for this.

WavMixer
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Dun Dun duuuuuuuuu

If he doesn't fix it maybe I'll have you come by on a weekend and I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if we can fix the condensation atleast. Not to worry I wont be charging for this.Thanks, I appreciate it! I am hoping to have 7state replace the rear lens that have some nasty ass scratches, but if he flakes out, I will take you up on your offer. If it does come down to you helping fix his screw up, I'm sure he won't get any more business from this site.

Evo-8
03-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm sure he won't get any more business from this site.

lol. Not just business. I'm sure he wont be very welcome at all. Even to just post. We don't like rip offs and jerks on these forums. Hopefully he won't do that to you and himself.

OCevoGirl
03-24-2005, 04:49 PM
wowww phewwww..i was planning on getting my headlight and taillights done by him. I actually drove out to his pad to get it done. But when I got there someone told me he went to pick up his roommate. I waited there for 45 min but he still didn't show up so then I just decided to leave. Thanks for the warning =)

WavMixer
03-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, it looks like he has turned out to be a real flake. Too bad :(

ovenmit331
03-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it looks like he has turned out to be a real flake. Too bad :(

yeah, seriously.

Sorry for all the trouble you've been put through Wav...

DTunedEvoX
03-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Take Abtin up on his offer. . He does great work .. I can attest to that ! 8)

airforce1
03-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I will join anyone to get this motherfuckers money back to ralliartevo. Can anyone track him down?

WavMixer
03-25-2005, 11:19 AM
I will join anyone to get this motherfuckers money back to ralliartevo. Can anyone track him down?I have a cell phone number as well as an address to an apartment building where I met him at. Not sure if it really is his address as he was waiting outside for me and I never went in. Did he take ralliartevo's money and not do anything?

Do I see a caravan to Long Beach coming up in the near future?

ovenmit331
03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I will join anyone to get this motherfuckers money back to ralliartevo. Can anyone track him down?I have a cell phone number as well as an address to an apartment building where I met him at. Not sure if it really is his address as he was waiting outside for me and I never went in. Did he take ralliartevo's money and not do anything?

Do I see a caravan to Long Beach coming up in the near future?

kick his ass seabass

WavMixer
03-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm too old to get medieval on his ass. I would like to believe that he really did have good intentions when he took this project on, maybe it just got out of hand trying to keep his customers satisfied.

ovenmit331
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm too old to get midevil on his ass. I would like to believe that he really did have good intentions when he took this project on, maybe it just got out of hand trying to keep his customers satisfied.

yeah thats probably true, glass half-full approach anyways

and its: "medieval"

WavMixer
03-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm too old to get midevil on his ass. I would like to believe that he really did have good intentions when he took this project on, maybe it just got out of hand trying to keep his customers satisfied.

and its: "medieval"Fixed, you grammer nazi ;-)

kimletrim
03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I too am waiting on 7state to do a taillight exchange. Guess he can't get enough "spares" to meet the demand for fixing his mistakes!

ovenmit331
03-25-2005, 01:19 PM

and its: "medieval"Fixed, you grammer nazi ;-)

Spelling actually...

Knower
03-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Fixed, you grammer nazi ;-)

Actually, it's spelling and grammar is spelled "grammar."

WavMixer
03-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Man, I can't believe what a flake 7state turned out to be. :?

MYFIRSTEVO
03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
he still hasn't done it yet? sorry man...

kimletrim
03-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Same here. I don't think he's even logged on to this forum for quite a while.

ovenmit331
03-29-2005, 12:19 PM

That really sucks Wav, sorry to hear about all your continuing troubles. I had the same sort of continuing troubles with the whole hit and run wreck thing. Eventually just gave up. $250 isn't worth any more of my time...

WavMixer
03-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I will be purchasing the real deal MR tail lights for $400 and just write 7state off as a flake. However I will be sure to let my fellow Evo owners know about the "quality" of his workmanship as well as his "customer service."

itsnino
03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
where r u buying the MR lights from wav?

WavMixer
03-29-2005, 05:00 PM
where r u buying the MR lights from wav?

http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41_184_191_225&products_id=5164&osCsid=d5db92c687dfe27a4a5f48919257cf99

or

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=evo&cat=exterior&prodid=875

Evo-8
04-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Straight from his original advertisement thread. Can't say I didn't warn you.

HOLY CRAP! dude's got some serious time on his hands. This is dirt ass cheap guys. I wouldn't ever do it for this price so if u plan on getting it done, go with this guy. I've never seen his work so i can't vouch for quality, but if u see his and like what u see, GO FOR IT!

after going through this thread a second time i noticed him and the person posting pics are new to the forums. Before everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon, can the first person to have this done post up and let us know how everything went?

can be found here: http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6092&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=7state&start=15

WavMixer
04-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Straight from his original advertisement thread. Can't say I didn't warn you.

HOLY CRAP! dude's got some serious time on his hands. This is dirt ass cheap guys. I wouldn't ever do it for this price so if u plan on getting it done, go with this guy. I've never seen his work so i can't vouch for quality, but if u see his and like what u see, GO FOR IT!

after going through this thread a second time i noticed him and the person posting pics are new to the forums. Before everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon, can the first person to have this done post up and let us know how everything went?

can be found here: http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6092&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=7state&start=15

I remember this post :) :

Dun Dun duuuuuuuuu

If he doesn't fix it maybe I'll have you come by on a weekend and I'll fiddle with it a bit and see if we can fix the condensation atleast. Not to worry I wont be charging for this.

daimos
04-04-2005, 05:26 PM
he's also flaking out on me cuz he broke the chrome part of my driver headlight.

DoCoMo
04-05-2005, 03:35 AM
my 2cents on vivid is dont bother go with z1
vivid screwed me and everybody else cause of false advertising :evil:
spread the word

rino
04-05-2005, 04:20 AM
yup i got my vii tails from z1.. from adam

cool people fast shipping

kimletrim
04-05-2005, 05:53 AM
yup i got my vii tails from z1.. from adam

cool people fast shippingx2

WavMixer
04-05-2005, 08:21 AM
spread the wordHow did they screw you?

DTunedEvoX
04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
spread the wordHow did they screw you?

Evo-8
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I guess bevo was too ashamed to post up about it but last night he told me 7-state shat on his headlights as well. For those of you who's headlights/tails he shat on, you didnt pay him did you? I know if i ever messed up on someones headlights and couldn't fix it, i would obviously not only NOT charge but I would be buying them some new headlights asap. Fortunetely i know what the hell I'm doing and that hasn't ever happened.

WavMixer
04-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Hell yes I paid him! Paid in full with cash. State said he would come up to my house the next week to finish the job. That was 4 months ago. I should have spoke up about him earlier so nobody else would get ripped off. I kept my mouth shut because I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to keep his word and fix his mess. Instead by me keeping quite, he had a chance to screw more members here. For this I am sorry. I feel that I have done the members here a disservice by keeping silent until now :(

DoCoMo
04-05-2005, 03:14 PM
this was my rant on vivid :
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8382

rino
04-05-2005, 10:08 PM
7state you suck dude!!!!!