PDA

View Full Version : LIDAR sucks

ovenmit331
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm gonna get toasted with this... Does a v1 detect this kinda stuff? it seems like one of those, if its detected, it's already too late, kinda things...

Laser may burn drivers with lead feet
Web Posted: 03/11/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mary Moreno
Express-News Staff Writer

Most of the drivers on Interstate 10 who zoomed past San Antonio Police Officer Rex Zabava on a recent sunny and cool morning probably didn't notice him.

Unlike most speeders, who slam on the brakes at the first sight of anything indicating a police presence, drivers doing 80 mph in a 60-mph construction zone continued unfettered.

It wasn't difficult to miss Zabava. He stood off to the side of the road, behind a construction barricade as heavy machinery pushed earth around. But down the road, several of the drivers felt his presence.

Zabava had clocked them exceeding the posted speed limit, and radioed their identifying information to a cadre of officers waiting to pull them over about a quarter of a mile away.

Police call it "shoot and catch," and the program involves a recently acquired speed detection device — a stationary laser mounted on a tripod that singles out vehicles and spits out their speed in the blink of an eye.

The Police Department acquired four of the laser speed detectors in late January, said Sgt. Bill Morales of the traffic division. LIDAR, an acronym for light detection and ranging, differs from standard radars in that it zeroes in on one vehicle, where a standard radar gun picks up a wider range.

Morales said that it should make it more difficult for people to contest a traffic ticket by arguing police clocked someone else. Still, it won't close the door to legal challenges of the unit.

"No machine or instrument is going to be perfect," said Jimmy Parks Jr., a San Antonio criminal defense lawyer. "When you apply human beings to the equation, there are always going to be problems."

Traffic officers have used the laser at different locations around town. Police will use up to 10 chase cars and pull over between 60 and 100 cars in a two-hour period.

During the recent shoot and catch, the officers set up on the southbound lanes of Loop 410 near Culebra Road a few minutes before 11 a.m. Zabava had just propped the LIDAR on the tripod when a silver Honda came over the hill, whisking by other cars. Zabava pointed the gun in the Honda's direction and aimed a red dot on to its license plate.

The LIDAR squealed, its digital readout showing 77. A van in the fast lane went by at 79 mph, followed by a dark green Ford Ranger doing 78 in the slow lane. Later, a woman in a small Chevy car was clocked at 85.

"I can sit out here by myself and catch cars doing 80 all day," he said. "Nobody ever drives 60 out here. Most of the cars are doing 65, but then you see one passing them like they're standing still."

Zabava called in only the drivers exceeding the speed limit by at least 15 mph. Still, the seven police cars waiting to chase down the violators had a steady stream of work.

Just past the onramp on the other side of Culebra, officer Chris Upton waited for Zabava to call out another violator. After sending out a brief description of the car, Zabava continued with updates about its location, alerting Upton when the car he had captured with the LIDAR was about to drive past him.

With lights flashing, Upton pulled the offender over, wrote a citation, which carried a double penalty because of the construction zone, and circled back to the starting position to do it all over again.

Even with the chasing officers working at a fast clip, the traffic coming at Zabava had so many flagrant speeders, he had to take breaks to allow the chasing officers to prepare to give chase again.

One Mitsubishi, doing 80, got away scot-free and its driver probably never knew what a break he'd just received.

Thedread
03-11-2005, 10:27 AM
It's not about safety, just revenue generation.

nurb2
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah your detector will pick it up ... as long as there are other cars in the immediate area getting clocked. If you are the only car on the road, you have no chance against any instant on radar or laser.

-nurb2-

Luscious
03-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Hold a sec....what they were doing was setting a speed trap, of the type I thought was illegal?

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah your detector will pick it up ... as long as there are other cars in the immediate area getting clocked. If you are the only car on the road, you have no chance against any instant on radar or laser.

-nurb2-With radar you do stand a chance of getting off do to the nature of how the radar beam widens as the distance between radar gun and subject increases. With laser there is no spread on the beam and it is either on you or not. If your laser detector goes off, you are nailed.

Absinthe
03-11-2005, 11:03 AM
It's not about safety, just revenue generation.

Come on, 20 over in a construction zone is horse shit, I dont think thats revenue generation.

Absinthe
03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Hold a sec....what they were doing was setting a speed trap, of the type I thought was illegal?

Not a speed trap and thus not illegal, a speed trap is when the speed limit on a rad drops massively with out warning, and those are illegal.

leaveit2bevo
03-11-2005, 12:07 PM
so if you dont have a front license plate what do they aim it at? Radar detectors arent very good at picking up laser chances are you getting hit by it when your detector picks it up. The only good way to go is laser diffusers.

WavMixer
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
so if you dont have a front license plate what do they aim it at? Radar detectors arent very good at picking up laser chances are you getting hit by it when your detector picks it up. The only good way to go is laser diffusers.Head light is a favorite target, however that big silver FMIC will also work. Hence another reason I opted to paint mine black.

OptimusPrime
03-11-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.beldirect.co.uk/fsld-100-laser-jammer-uk.htm

Blaze
03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
http://www.beldirect.co.uk/fsld-100-laser-jammer-uk.htm

Lidar is a bit harder to jam then radar, but I've heard several of these work well. Once nice thing about it is that it only jams for 3-5 seconds. The result is that the officer is less likely to suspect you have jammed him/her.

One down side I've seen on these products is that there's no one for all product. It's either lidar or radar. :?

If anyone is considering one of these products, I highly recomend that you get a one with as much stealth as possible. This is not legal in CA and could face some nasty fines and charges if caught with one.

Blaze

Mister
03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
If the 1st cop is hiding, that sounds like entrapment.

Blaze
03-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Head light is a favorite target, however that big silver FMIC will also work. Hence another reason I opted to paint mine black.

I read an article a while back about this. Yes headlights and lic. plates are big targets because of their reflective nature. I don't see how a FMIC would be a target. Besides the end tanks and VERY narrow plates it should not reflect very much.

Does anyone remember a product called the STEALTH BRA? It was on the market a while back (and I mean a while). It basically absorbed incoming radar waves. Neat idea.

Blaze

ovenmit331
03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
If the 1st cop is hiding, that sounds like entrapment.

not hiding, standing in plain view, just blends in with the construction workers...

nurb2
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
There is even some radar absorbing paint ... forgot what it's called, but it's mentioned in this book I have on fighting speeding tickets in Cali. Very expensive to paint a whole car in it though.

-nurb2-

nurb2
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
There is even some radar absorbing paint ... forgot what it's called, but it's mentioned in this book I have on fighting speeding tickets in Cali. Very expensive to paint a whole car in it though.

-nurb2-

Blaze
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM

-nurb2-

Dude....I would imagine!! I bet it's cheaper to pay the tickets.... :lol:

Do you have a pic to any cars that have been painted with it? It's be interesting to see.

Blaze
03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I found a few bits of info on this online. 3 gallons is about $155.

NO MORE SPEEDING TICKETS!!!

We do not sell jammers

We do not sell detectors

We offer a proprietary paint which has excellent military applications for Absorbing, Blocking, Redirecting or Scattering RF Radiation / Radar.

Our RAP (radar absorbing paint) works. Tested against a handheld police style radar gun...the signal was absorbed every time. X, K and Ka band radar works by bouncing a microwave signal off the metal on your car. The signal must be reflected back to the radar gun in order for a positive read out, then you're busted!!! NOT if you have RAP on your vehicle. RAP should be installed by a professional, not using brushes or home equipment. It works even better on motorcycles with plastic or fiberglass fairings. RAP can be painted under the fairings so it is invisible while driving and only adds less than a pound of weight to your bike.

You know that those Rocky Mountain Jammers don't work, nor do the dozens of other claimed jammers...they are all passive pieces of junk. The only type of jammer you can purchase .... that is legal is a Laser radar jammer. NOW you can protect yourself against Police Radar legally with RAP.

How Does it work?

RAP contains atomized semi-conductive materials and carbon fibers which allow radar to pass only partially through the paint. If the radar actually makes it through the paint, the radar will hit the metal surface of the vehicle and bounce back into the paint once again. By this time the signal is so weak it gets completely absorbed by the RAP or scattered in a tangent direction due to the atomized material's spherical shape.

http://www.plans-kits.com/kits/radarpaintdiagram.JPG

rammsteinmatt
03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
didnt y'all watch mythbusters, they did these tests with the paint, and other forms of legal radar/lazer jamming, of course all failed. also my friend's dad is a police officer that uses lidar (lazer speed detection) and says that its not like radar with an effective range. he said long as you can see the target you can measure its speed (within reason of course) but he said that you can nail people 2+ miles away with lazers

ovenmit331
03-11-2005, 08:45 PM
didnt y'all watch mythbusters, they did these tests with the paint, and other forms of legal radar/lazer jamming, of course all failed. also my friend's dad is a police officer that uses lidar (lazer speed detection) and says that its not like radar with an effective range. he said long as you can see the target you can measure its speed (within reason of course) but he said that you can nail people 2+ miles away with lazers

:werd: that would suck... 2 miles away and BAM you're toast

gofaster87
03-11-2005, 11:22 PM

If you detect laser with your x50/V1 2 miles away just turn around real quick and take off.

rammsteinmatt
03-12-2005, 01:11 AM

If you detect laser with your x50/V1 2 miles away just turn around real quick and take off.

and just cruise at 150 for a couple minutes like in gumball?

DrMerl
03-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Yep, just like in Gumball, or the Mammoth-Ball Run =)

My V1 has been going off more with laser, not sure about falsing though. I've seen it go off when hitting certain angles on the sun, also I think the LED lights might trip it once in a while.....or I've suddendly seen an increase in coppers with lasers around San Diego. I don't see squat afterwards though. I'm about to send in my V1 for the POP (Bee radar) detection ($60 for the upgrade), cuz I think SD/Riverside county will get one or two guns. V1 cost a lot, but is sooooo worth it!

Absinthe
03-12-2005, 10:23 AM

yeah I saw that but it was a test of all the old wives tales about how to beat radar the paint theyy used was just flat black, so no the same stuff and given the size of our IC its pretty much a useless mod even witht he real stuff. But it does work other wise thy would paint the f-117 with a varient of this.

also know to work, k40 lidar shifter/jammer but only give you about 5 seconds to get off it.

leaveit2bevo
03-12-2005, 11:04 AM
my passport goes off with a laser warning everytime I hit full boost