PDA

View Full Version : Just got my IC last night!!

MAFIOSO8
03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Last night at the OC mini meet I decided to buy the new Nisei Engineering Intercooler and holy shit this thing is a beast! :shock: it's huge! I'll post pics tonight after I install it. :D .

And I have to give a big thanks to Rob and Kevin thanks guys for the great deal. :D

Blaze
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
How BIG is it, Renzo? :wink:

Congrats. Can't wait to see the pix.

Blaze

leaveit2bevo
03-11-2005, 03:20 PM
interesting first mod.

gofaster87
03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Yea, I would have went with a sausage plate first.

MAFIOSO8
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
interesting first mod.
Oh it's not my first mod I also am running an RSR exhaust and a power enterprise intake. 8)

EvoPwr
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
BIG FUCKIN INTERCOOLER...nice ;)

Luscious
03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
interesting first mod.
Oh it's not my first mod I also am running an RSR exhaust and a power enterprise intake. 8)

Stock boost? Or do you plan on upping your boost? ( I am sure you are =)) The only point of having a larger and/or more efficient IC is to lower the heat load on the engine...Im not sure what kind of gains you'll get on stock boost, but I know it helps at higher levels.

Blaze
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
It's so funny rolling to the OC meets. EVERYONE has a FMIC.
(almost)

Blaze
"Won't someone in OC please adopt me?"

MAFIOSO8
03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Blaze
NO!!! :lol:

Blaze
03-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Blaze
NO!!! :lol:

GReedy Bastards! :lol:
Share the love!

MAFIOSO8
03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Blaze
"GReedy Bastards! :lol:
Share the love!" I'll take your evo though :lol:

Blaze
03-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Blaze
"GReedy Bastards! :lol:
Share the love!" I'll take your evo though :lol:

You and every other cop. :evil:
http://www.mike.lawton.clara.net/Homersweb/doh.jpg

leaveit2bevo
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
interesting first mod.

your better buy a mbc, because a ic that big is going to drop your boost.

grico42
03-11-2005, 04:23 PM
It's so funny rolling to the OC meets. EVERYONE has a FMIC.
(almost)

Blaze

hehe im part of almost! Dont need one yet i have pleasnty of other stuff i can do before i need one. Stock FMIC is rated to like 400HP as well. I think it may be more, i would anodize my IC anyways.

kipper215
03-11-2005, 05:42 PM
interesting first mod.

the guy last night saide that is has no PSI drop.

MAFIOSO8
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
interesting first mod.

your better buy a mbc, because a ic that big is going to drop your boost. Yup no boost loss thats what's cool about this IC. 8)

leaveit2bevo
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
interesting first mod.

Im pretty sure all ICs do becuase its way more effecient so it drops boost.

gofaster87
03-11-2005, 05:48 PM
For the people running under 400 hp an ic is pretty much a cosmetic upgrade. Many have run the stock ic to this power level with no detriment in efficiency. There are a few other reasons many aftermarket intercoolers are not that great for the track or long hauls but I wont get into it. I dont want to ruin Robs business. If you like it and it floats your boat, get it. The nesei looks nice and the bar and plate core looks really rugged and effective.

Macky
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
thats a nice I/C, but as per what sam said, the stock one is more than enough. tight but id buy more parts from Rob with that money :wink:

i mean the FQ400 uses the stock intercooler 8)

Absinthe
03-11-2005, 09:03 PM
interesting first mod.

your better buy a mbc, because a ic that big is going to drop your boost. Yup no boost loss thats what's cool about this IC. 8)

sure....

ultraflip
03-11-2005, 09:13 PM
such a nice intercooler... too bad it went to an evo that has a crap ass driver

BOVBILLY
03-11-2005, 09:15 PM

MUAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

EvoPwr
03-11-2005, 09:17 PM

MUAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

dam thats harsh :lol:

ultraflip
03-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Yup no boost loss thats what's cool about this IC. 8)

how do you know that? you don't even have a boost guage

ultraflip
03-11-2005, 09:20 PM

wow... intake and exhaust... does that make your evo like 5 million horsepower now? you should invest in driving lessons... maybe take driver's ed again...

Coolguy949
03-11-2005, 10:04 PM
interesting first mod.

The Nisei intercooler doesnt register any drop in boost at all. It has 23 rows that allow for maximum cooling with maximum flow.

Coolguy949
03-11-2005, 10:06 PM
There are a few other reasons many aftermarket intercoolers are not that great for the track or long hauls but I wont get into it. I dont want to ruin Robs business.

Go ahead and share them. I'd love to hear them. Feedback is good, it helps up make any necessary correction to the product.

We've been testing this core for 14 months now and have tested it in almost every situation with no negative effects on temp or reliability.

Coolguy949
03-11-2005, 10:07 PM
interesting first mod.

Absolutely right, we welcome anyone to test it themselves to see.

Blaze
03-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Absolutely right, we welcome anyone to test it themselves to see.

Is that like getting one of those posturepedic mattresses for a 3 month trial? :wink:

Blaze

BOVBILLY
03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
I GOT DIBS ON THE MATTRESS AFTER JASON!

ultraflip
03-12-2005, 02:20 AM
billy tryin to get some with blaze in bed.. hahaha

trinydex
03-12-2005, 03:30 AM
this discussion was on the evolutionm forums for a while...

if you're curious as to why there is little to no pressure drop it is mostly likely becuase:

the transfer tubes are pretty thin and narrow (they squeezed 23 in there) and maintain a good venturi effect, so the air speed is not a factor in boost drop.

their fin design is the square fin, more heat transfer surface area so increased efficiency without the need for louvring or bumping of the internal fins. so you get a faster flow through without any of the efficiency increasing pressure dropping properties.

end tanks are a pretty good design, good enough anyway, i mean you don't have to have a perfectly smooth endtank, although i like them better that way. but it's a good overall design.

i only have one beef... it takes up a lotta facia. it blocks off 2 more inches of radiator than the buschur and about 1 more inch than any other ic on the market. gaurantee this thing will support more than the evo is capable of though.

one more point... most turbos need intercooling not when they're big turbos that work in an efficiency range that is condusive to say 400+hp but when they're small and operating out of their efficiency range to put out barely 400hp (stock turbo). when a turbo is workin' hard to boost that much it heats up the air real bad. (this info compliments of robi).

kipper215
03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I GOT DIBS ON THE MATTRESS AFTER JASON! we'll have to burn it after you sleep on it LOL

J/K :lol:

gofaster87
03-12-2005, 09:17 AM
this discussion was on the evolutionm forums for a while...

if you're curious as to why there is little to no pressure drop it is mostly likely becuase:

the transfer tubes are pretty thin and narrow (they squeezed 23 in there) and maintain a good venturi effect, so the air speed is not a factor in boost drop.

their fin design is the square fin, more heat transfer surface area so increased efficiency without the need for louvring or bumping of the internal fins. so you get a faster flow through without any of the efficiency increasing pressure dropping properties.

end tanks are a pretty good design, good enough anyway, i mean you don't have to have a perfectly smooth endtank, although i like them better that way. but it's a good overall design.

i only have one beef... it takes up a lotta facia. it blocks off 2 more inches of radiator than the buschur and about 1 more inch than any other ic on the market. gaurantee this thing will support more than the evo is capable of though.

one more point... most turbos need intercooling not when they're big turbos that work in an efficiency range that is condusive to say 400+hp but when they're small and operating out of their efficiency range to put out barely 400hp (stock turbo). when a turbo is workin' hard to boost that much it heats up the air real bad. (this info compliments of robi).

This is some of the info I was refering too earlier.

DrMerl
03-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I have questions regarding along the lines of heat -

Sure the stock IC can "support" 400HP - but how is the 400HP delivered? CFM is nice and all, but what about temp differential? That's what these ICs are all about right? As was said, pushing our stock turbo to 400 might put a hell of a strain on things due to heat and backpressure. What if at "400HP" worth of air the stock IC actually looses the ability to cool exhaust gas more than a degree or two? =)

If some are stuck on 91oct, wouldnt a larger (even at the expense of a psi or two or a bit of off boost response) intercooler make more sense? From what I've learned engines like to detonate more as they heat up (the system itself). On 91 oct, you just fart and the ECU will pull timing, I'd like to know if a larger IC on 91oct will serve the purpose of postponing/preventing detonation, especially in a road race.

I hate bling, and if I dont need to, I won't do it. (my EVO is stock now for 38K miles, but I sure can drive faster ;)

Absinthe
03-12-2005, 10:11 AM
given the sheer volume of this thing I can see it not runing a preasure drop, also is this an absolute preasure drop? similar to the test buschur ran vs a pipe for his ic or are we measuring presaure drop vs stock unit?

we can address intake charge temps, afr, boost and tuning issues later as to why you dont want to load an IC up with out tuning.

trinydex
03-13-2005, 02:02 AM
this is not absolute pressure drop, this is pressure drop in relation to the stock ic. good point... at the same time you'll hardly find any ics that increase pressure, the one that comes to mind is hte v spec greddy, which has lobe tubes, no good for cooling.

the other point about temps is important. if anything the hp you gain from an intercooler is mostly due to less restrictions and better design, i wouldn't say too much of the "bolt on" power is from cooling, though some of it is. the "tuned" power of an ic is related to the cooling and detonation supressing abilities of the ic.

Miss Evo8
03-13-2005, 02:11 AM
Last night at the OC mini meet I decided to buy the new Nisei Engineering Intercooler and holy shit this thing is a beast! :shock: it's huge! I'll post pics tonight after I install it. :D .

And I have to give a big thanks to Rob and Kevin thanks guys for the great deal. :D

You didn't even tell my BF "Thank YOU" for helping you and keeping the shop open for you to install you IC!!! :shock:

trinydex
03-13-2005, 04:17 AM
uhm.... pwned by the wifeyage....

DrMerl
03-13-2005, 10:39 AM
With a bigger intercooler I could see a delay in boost because it's going to take extra time to pressurize the system, may be no loss in PSI due to pumping restrictions, but the volume needs to be filled at some point, perhaps this leads to slower off throttle response, or when shifting gears?

To me an intercooler is about maintaining your performance under load and for extended periods, it's kind of a gimmie that it drops temps enough to gain a few more ponies. I always hear about XYZ intercooler "gained" umpty-million HP vs none or stock....but it's more like "allowed" a gain =) The system prior wasnt designed correctly or was severly restricted by stock. I also remember that end-tanks are the magic bullet in IC design....something about fluid dynamics ;)

gofaster87
03-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Seems some really good temp test were done and this intercooler gives a huge increase in performance from temp drops and not just flow. GT40's temps were insanely lower when he put a test ic on.

gt40
03-13-2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=gt40&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=15

DrMerl
03-13-2005, 01:32 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=gt40&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=15

Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to see, this looks like it's got awesome air flow and cooling, not just a giant heat sink =)

gt40
03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to see, this looks like it's got awesome air flow and cooling, not just a giant heat sink =)

I will have to finish looking at whether there is less flow up top on the logs but it looks the same at this point...

A bigger question is whether it really matters as long as it is below 160 degrees or so.

trinydex
03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
there are two factors that affect pressure drop... volume and restriction. if you have a less restrictive intercooler then you take care of one part. if you have an intercooler that maintains high internal air velocity (because of less restriction and because of tube design) you take care of the other part.

Coolguy949
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Absolutely, the Nisei intercooler has 23 rows, which is the most in the evo industry right now. We registered no pressure drop at all because of this.

Coolguy949
03-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Yep, too many intercoolers out right now are heat sinks only. They is little or no true heat exchange occuring.

BOVBILLY
03-14-2005, 09:49 PM

You didn't even tell my BF "Thank YOU" for helping you and keeping the shop open for you to install you IC!!! :shock:

WHAT A DICK RENZO!

EvoPwr
03-14-2005, 10:18 PM

WHAT A DICK RENZO!

YEA YOU DICK!

trinydex
03-15-2005, 01:48 AM
hey rob does nisei have any answer or concern for the issue of radiator flow, i heard someone jest about being able to live wtih a few less rows if there were less cutting involved, i'd live with a few less rows to have a few more inches of radiator breathing. normally i wouldn't even trip but the nisei core's cooling tubes are half height, which poses a restriction to the radiator already... blocking more room makes me worried about those who aren't running that pwr 3 inch thick ratiator.

dangit... i've done so much yappin' about the intercooler i can't well remember if someone did a water temp test yet... although i guess the water temp would only become a real problem under big loads of sustained driving... wonder if robi wants to try this sucker and kick it around for a while and try to keep things hot. or anyone with water temp gauges for that matter.

Coolguy949
03-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Mark will be confirming any overheating issues at the track in April. We don't forsee any problem at all since we've already done tests driving to vegas in the summer, etc and had absolutely no heating issues. Robi hasnt experienced any overheating issues with the buschur core, which has a higher fin density than the Nisei (18 fins per inch vs 12) plus it blocks some of the radiator with the end tanks. Since the Nisei core is wider, the end tanks are further behind the bumper area than the bushur so more air can pass through the intercooler to the radiator instead of bouncing off the end tank.

Plus, even though the core may be higher, the higher part doesnt block any part of the radiator that hasnt already been blocked by the bumper bar. The difference between the Nisei and the Buschur is that the Nisei extends behind the bumper beam just below the top of it. The buschur intercooler extends just below the bumper beam. This area is already blocked by the bumper beam so extending the intercooler in to it shouldnt affect anything.

trinydex
03-15-2005, 05:39 AM
is this the same bumper beam that gets removed if you run a jdm bumper?

Coolguy949
03-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, i beleive so. With the Nisei intercooler the bumper beam is retained and no compromise in safety needs to be made.

:peewee:

trinydex
03-15-2005, 04:20 PM
eh f it all i think i'm gonna go with a nisei, i'll blindly "support the asians and the locals" even tho i don't know if nisei is really powered by asians, at least i know rob is local.

gofaster87
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah, i beleive so. With the Nisei intercooler the bumper beam is retained and no compromise in safety needs to be made.

I hate to break it you rob but that beam provides no saftey. Its the most flimsy piece of shit. Its more like it was put there as a requirement. I saw an Evo at a dismantler yesterday that was hit in the front, medium impact and that beam didnt help one bit.

rammsteinmatt
03-15-2005, 04:49 PM

I hate to break it you rob but that beam provides no saftey. Its the most flimsy piece of shit. Its more like it was put there as a requirement. I saw an Evo at a dismantler yesterday that was hit in the front, medium impact and that beam didnt help one bit.

perhaps it was designed to break, because through it breaking it will dissapate energy from the rest of the car. kinda like the idea of making "crush zones" to absorb energy. because after a wreck one might be inclined to think that if they just made the rear of the car stronger the whole trunk wouldnt have crumpled in, but then the rest of the car would be wrecked because there was no energy absorbed by the trunk

just my $.02

EvoPwr
03-15-2005, 04:51 PM

perhaps it was designed to break, because through it breaking it will dissapate energy from the rest of the car. kinda like the idea of making "crush zones" to absorb energy. because after a wreck one might be inclined to think that if they just made the rear of the car stronger the whole trunk wouldnt have crumpled in, but then the rest of the car would be wrecked because there was no energy absorbed by the trunk

just my $.02

in a way that makes perfect sense, it is just there to be destroyed, but does absorb more energy from the rest of the car.

MAFIOSO8
03-15-2005, 05:02 PM

I hate to break it you rob but that beam provides no saftey. Its the most flimsy piece of shit. Its more like it was put there as a requirement. I saw an Evo at a dismantler yesterday that was hit in the front, medium impact and that beam didnt help one bit. Sam I dont think it was placed to absorb the impact i think it serves more to spread the impact rather than to recieve it .

just putting in my 2 cents

EvoPwr
03-15-2005, 05:05 PM

I hate to break it you rob but that beam provides no saftey. Its the most flimsy piece of shit. Its more like it was put there as a requirement. I saw an Evo at a dismantler yesterday that was hit in the front, medium impact and that beam didnt help one bit. Sam I dont think it was placed to absorb the impact i think it serves more to spread the impact rather than to recieve it .

just putting in my 2 cents

after that i/c you just bought you dont have .02 to put in :lol:

BOVBILLY
03-15-2005, 05:12 PM
RENZO LIKES WATCHING HIMSELF TALK!

MAFIOSO8
03-15-2005, 05:13 PM
AND BILLY LIKES MOOGLE

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/moogle/Picture_352.jpg

BOVBILLY
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
RENZO, THAT JOKE IS OLD, LIKE YOUR HAIR STYLE!

EvoPwr
03-15-2005, 05:15 PM
RENZO, THAT JOKE IS OLD, LIKE YOUR HAIR STYLE!

BURN!!!!!! :lol: :bow:

kipper215
03-15-2005, 05:18 PM

WHAT A DICK RENZO!

YEA YOU DICK!

RENZO'S EATEN DICKS AGAIN!

gofaster87
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM

just my $.02

Im not an engineer but it just doesnt look effective at absorbing but Im sure mitsu knows what they are doing. Most of my other cars seemed to have a more effective one.

trinydex
03-16-2005, 12:11 AM
i think this crash beam thing has been beat to shit. most people are of the opinion that it was just put on there for getting into the country, some speculate to help the intercooler not break in low impact situations. other people think it's some sort of safety thing.

i don't see how something that can be snapped off by jumpin on it as sam says can protect you for shit in the event of a crash. so i'm of the opinion that it's for protecting your ic.

if it's designed to break iunno... it's only like 3 inches deep right? nad it's like a U kinda shape if you look at it from the side... basically half an i beam... i guess that could help something...

i guess the bottomline is... i'm not gonna have one on my car when i have an aftermarket bumper... uhm... that is all.

EvoPwr
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
jumping on top of it is different than having something run into the front of it :roll:

trinydex
03-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Mark will be confirming any overheating issues at the track in April. We don't forsee any problem at all since we've already done tests driving to vegas in the summer, etc and had absolutely no heating issues. Robi hasnt experienced any overheating issues with the buschur core, which has a higher fin density than the Nisei (18 fins per inch vs 12) plus it blocks some of the radiator with the end tanks. Since the Nisei core is wider, the end tanks are further behind the bumper area than the bushur so more air can pass through the intercooler to the radiator instead of bouncing off the end tank.

Plus, even though the core may be higher, the higher part doesnt block any part of the radiator that hasnt already been blocked by the bumper bar. The difference between the Nisei and the Buschur is that the Nisei extends behind the bumper beam just below the top of it. The buschur intercooler extends just below the bumper beam. This area is already blocked by the bumper beam so extending the intercooler in to it shouldnt affect anything.

i got a touche for you... if the radiator flow isn't blocked by the radiator because of the beam... the ic ain't seein' much flow behind the beam either! touche... nah i'm just playin' rob. people should remove the crash beam and run a fabulous cwest bumper with this intercooler to get maximum downforce and cooling!

i'll give the coup de grace now. the nisei core + endtank is hands down the best intercooler on the market. it is well thought out... quality piece and this price is unbeatable, even by buschur. i've deliberated and theorized for WAY long enough about all this and this is honestly exactly what i have to say about it.

pluses:

no pressure drop due to well though out transfer tube and internal fin design.

more radiator flow due to increased core length.

well thought out cast end tank design means no seams no leakage no breaking.

fits the stock pipes tho that doesn't matter so much (quit pluggin' rob to include pipes... the stock pipes fit.)

i will say this to appease the closest comparable competitor and that's that the buschur core is very well designed, well though out and uses the right shit. too bad br doesn't specialize in ics cuz they'd have more time to pour into makin' an all dominating piece. but in the end... i'm guessing the br will provide the same cooling capabilities with similar to slightly more radiator air but it will do all this with a .82 psi pressure drop all other things equal. this = i'm sold.

too f'in' bad this thing came out at exactly the wrong time... i'm far from getting an ic... sigh...

i need a quaife... my diff is broken :[