PDA

View Full Version : My 05 died on the grapevine tonight.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I was driving along the 5 FWY South coming into Gorman doin about 65MPH, I went to accelerate slightly & all three ACD lights came on as I felt a slight disconnect in the drivetrain, the tach went to 0 RPMs. I made it to the shoulder, and tried to crank her up, she turned over, but the bitch wouldn't fire. I waited, pulled fuses, etc.....nada.

Towed to Diamond Bar ($740.00), and tomorrow it'll be towed to Ontario Mitsubishi. Oh yeah, I am leaving my RMR cat-back on too, and I would like to see if they try to blame the exhaust system.

I am now taking one of the family Hondas home. Damn I haven't broken down since 1993. Thanks Mitsubish!

I'll keep you all posted.

Boosted
03-14-2005, 12:21 AM
damn what a bust man, any idea waht could have caused it?

WavMixer
03-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Your 05 should have the tow covered under warranty.

snoop
03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Towed to Diamond Bar ($740.00), and tomorrow it'll be towed to Ontario Mitsubishi.

Mitsu wil tow your car for free to any Mitsu Dealership within 500 miles. Why did you not call Mitsu?

rino
03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Towed to Diamond Bar ($740.00), and tomorrow it'll be towed to Ontario Mitsubishi.

Mitsu wil tow your car for free to any Mitsu Dealership within 500 miles. Why did you not call Mitsu?
yup, you are entitled to free towing to the nearest mitsu dealership. you should have received a card in the mail.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:31 AM

yup, you are entitled to free towing to the nearest mitsu dealership. you should have received a card in the mail.

Nope

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:33 AM

Called my salesman with my story, by the time he called back I was on my way home in the tow truck. I called some number he left on my voicemail 1800mitsu3000.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:33 AM

I sure hope so.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:34 AM
damn what a bust man, any idea waht could have caused it?

I have no idea. It died similar to what a timing belt would do. But I really don't know.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't know if any of you have been on the grapevine at night, in fog, drizzle, and wind. Oh yeah it was dark and I had my child with me. He was a bit worried when things went wrong. It was his first breakdown. I was between Gorman and Ft. Tejon in the middle of BFE. I had to get the fug outta there before we turned into some film at 11 clip.

EvoRution
03-14-2005, 12:39 AM
sheesh... (all with 05s start to get creepy shiver)

WHen you turn the key, does it at least TRY to start? or does nothing happen at all?

Blaze
03-14-2005, 12:48 AM

Those tows are generally only good to the closest Mitsu Dealer. They won't to you home or anywhere convenient.

Blaze

all stock
03-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Definately keep us updated.

Timujin
03-14-2005, 01:41 AM
sheesh... (all with 05s start to get creepy shiver)

WHen you turn the key, does it at least TRY to start? or does nothing happen at all?

It cranks but no fire.

nurb2
03-14-2005, 01:59 AM
I had my Evo towed once to HB Mitsu and it was covered. It was only about a 10 mile tow though. Did you call the number on the little card that came with your car?

I feel you though ... I came from Acuras and never had either of them break down, then my Evo broke down within the first month! I was hating my decision to go from an Acura to a Mitsubishi for a few days. Everything worked out, fixed under warranty, etc. and I have not had a problem since.

Good luck with everything.

-nurb2-

all stock
03-14-2005, 03:25 AM
So it gets no spark? I don't know much about the evo ignition system... Coilpacks don't really fail if that's what you guys have...

alex_alex
03-14-2005, 03:39 AM
does anyone remember the California Raisins?

Skiracer
03-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Yikes. I hope it wasn't the K&N filter i sold ya :shock:

Timujin
03-14-2005, 08:59 AM
I had my Evo towed once to HB Mitsu and it was covered. It was only about a 10 mile tow though. Did you call the number on the little card that came with your car?

I feel you though ... I came from Acuras and never had either of them break down, then my Evo broke down within the first month! I was hating my decision to go from an Acura to a Mitsubishi for a few days. Everything worked out, fixed under warranty, etc. and I have not had a problem since.

Good luck with everything.

-nurb2-

I just went through all my ish and there is no card. I see the 888 mitsu3000 number to report problems with dealers, denied service, and ish like that.

LOL I just joined AAA online this morning to have the car towed to the dealership. I haven't had AAA since 1988 for my 1969 VW beetle. Oh, well...

Timujin
03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Yikes. I hope it wasn't the K&N filter i sold ya :shock:

That is a negative. Thanks for your concern though 8)

Timujin
03-14-2005, 09:01 AM
does anyone remember the California Raisins?

Ahhh sure. . . . :?:. . . . I think there is a reference to the grapevine in there somewhere. . . :wink:

Macky
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
damn that sucks man, keep us posted.

EVOate909
03-14-2005, 11:26 AM
actually the "free tow" card that comes wid the evo is mailed to you after you purchase the car...i got mine like a couple weeks after

keep us posted wid ure car bro..

warpspeed
03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
This sounds like the same thing happened to me. I was on the freeway and went to pass a car up and then "boom" no power. Pulled over tried to start and it wouldn't. Then I noticed one of the boost hose popped off. I know some people say that when one of the hose pop off, the ecu goes into "limp" mode. Not true. I would check the boost hoses first. I know how you felt. My kids was in the car when this happened and they started crying. :(

Blaze
03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
This sounds like the same thing happened to me. I was on the freeway and went to pass a car up and then "boom" no power. Pulled over tried to start and it wouldn't. Then I noticed one of the boost hose popped off. I know some people say that when one of the hose pop off, the ecu goes into "limp" mode. Not true. I would check the boost hoses first. I know how you felt. My kids was in the car when this happened and they started crying. :(

Loose hoses has been a problem with a lot of the Evos. I'd guess that this is something that's hand assembled. :?

rino
03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
any updates?

Blak94GSX
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
The ECU only goes into limp home mode if you unplug the MAF electrical connector. If you ever get stuck someplace and can't get the IC pipe back on, you can unplug the MAF and sorta drive it home. It doesn't run very good, but it runs better than with the MAF plug attached and the IC hoses disconnected...

evomrguy
03-15-2005, 12:59 AM
The ECU only goes into limp home mode if you unplug the MAF electrical connector. If you ever get stuck someplace and can't get the IC pipe back on, you can unplug the MAF and sorta drive it home. It doesn't run very good, but it runs better than with the MAF plug attached and the IC hoses disconnected...

Yup, I second that, done it more than once on my dsms.

trinydex
03-15-2005, 01:43 AM
wow... that crazy tow price makes aaa worth it and these midnight survival tactics with boost hoses blown off are also a good lesson.

Timujin
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Got a call from the dealership, they said a 20A fuse was blown under the dash. I don't which one yet, but it was replaced under warranty. . :lol: :lol: :lol:

warpspeed
03-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Got a call from the dealership, they said a 20A fuse was blown under the dash. I don't which one yet, but it was replaced under warranty. . :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought you said you checked all the fuses when the car died? Did they way which one they replaced?

Timujin
03-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok here is what I was told by the service advisor.

The technician found a blown 20A fuse. The technician said it was probably due to your boost gauge (DEFI D-Gauge). The technician said to let you know these cars are sensitive, and to be careful with the gauges.

Mind you my boost gauge is mechanical. The only thing electrical about the gauge is the light inside of it, and it was working fine during the breakdown. BTW, I didn't wire the light to the fuel pressure wiring either :roll:

My invoice states: "NO FUEL PRESSURE CHECK VOLTAGE TO FUEL PUMP NO VOLTAGE TO PUMP CHECK FUSE.
FOUND 20 AMP ENGINE FUSE BLOWN REPLACE FUSE & CHECK FUEL PUMP VOLTAGE OKAY NOW CHECK FUEL PRESSURE& OUT PUT MEET SPECS 40PSI + IDLE ROAD TEST RUNNING ACCORDING TO SPEC'S"

I'll be sending my story and originals of my tow bill to Mitsubishi in IL. I am only looking for them to reimburse me for the portion of the bill that would've gotten me to the closest Mits dealership in Bakersfield.

I don't understand WTF would cause a fuel pump fuse to blow. That blows....that blows big time.....will it happen again??? should I get rid of my boost gauge :roll: Did they really only replace a fuse? Anyone have a fuel pump go out on them?

This is BS.

rammsteinmatt
03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
ya that boost gauge was definately tha cause of your fuel pump fuse to blow. you should have your warranty voided :roll: :roll: some HS dropout tech

EVOate909
03-15-2005, 09:16 PM
so is your warranty voided now??

Timujin
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
so is your warranty voided now??

No. They "replaced the fuse" under warranty.

Timujin
03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
DP

rino
03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
make sure that you tell them you didn't get your road side assistance card that you should have received when you bought the car when sending in your towing bill to Mitsu.

Timujin
03-15-2005, 10:38 PM
make sure that you tell them you didn't get your road side assistance card that you should have received when you bought the car when sending in your towing bill to Mitsu.

Yeah becuase I never got that ish.

Thanks.

After reading some EVOM posts, I see that this is a common problem. I never thought the car would blow ANY fuses. I would expect that from a VW or an AUDI, but not a Mits. I guess I'll keep 10 20A fuses with me for the future.

Skiracer
03-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I remember i blew the main fuse on my old car a long time ago. So, i looked at the ground around me and found a wrapper from a piece of chewing gum. I simply twisted the wrapper around and wrapped it between the 2 terminals. It got me home!

all stock
03-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Could be a freak accident. Fuses are there for a reason.

Timujin
03-16-2005, 12:29 AM
The second time I had to pull a 20A for my right low beam in order to make it home. I noticed a couple of other things. First, when I shut the car off (with a good fuse) I hear a strange knocking sound coming from under the hood as the motor stops turning. Seems like it's near the fuel rail. I think it made that sound before I dunno. Second, the fuses are flashing when they blow. This some sort of a direct short.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album298/Bad_Fuse.jpg

Any ideas???

rammsteinmatt
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
whatever you are doing to blow the fuse-dont do that :wink:

i got money on the short idea

Timujin
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
whatever you are doing to blow the fuse-dont do that :wink:

i got money on the short idea

I'll stop driving (a Mits) :P

Timujin
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Running a 15A fuse in place of the 20A and bought a 10 pack of 20s.

Rerouted 02 sensor wires.

Anybody take their EVO to Vegas through the 104+ degree heat. How is it in town sitting, in traffic? Overheat ever? Temp gauge move?

WavMixer
03-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Running a 15A fuse in place of the 20A and bought a 10 pack of 20s.

Rerouted 02 sensor wires.

Anybody take their EVO to Vegas through the 104+ degree heat. How is it in town sitting, in traffic? Overheat ever? Temp gauge move?
Why are you running a 15a fuse on a 20a circuit? I live in the high desert and am also curious as to it behaves in the hot weather.

Timujin
03-16-2005, 11:58 PM
It was all I had to get me to the auto parts store after dark becuase I used the spare 20A, and one for the R low beam (20 also) to get home from the dealership :shock:

That trip sucked. I made it home dough.

It's out.

Timujin
03-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Well no fuse problems as of yesterday. I did contact my sales rep to find out why I didn't get my roadside assistance card from dem foos. No answer yet.

all stock
03-19-2005, 08:55 PM
if your fuse is blowing often, more than likely it's a short somewhere. ground or wires crossed.

Timujin
03-19-2005, 11:59 PM
if your fuse is blowing often, more than likely it's a short somewhere. ground or wires crossed.

Yeah, but the fuel pump fuse? WTH?

Trying to forget about this.

Admin. Delete post :banghead:

Skiracer
03-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Time to upgrade to a Walbro fuel pump!

Timujin
03-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Time to upgrade to a Walbro fuel pump!

Nooooo no more m o d s :lol:

I may be done modding.

Well, maybe I'll get some wheels when it's time to buy tires.

Ok, maybe a flash or something mild.

Oh yeah, I have another gauge to install.

(Superman w/Kryptonite around his neck voice) I....must......resist....... modding