PDA

View Full Version : Those who got cited for modified exhaust....

izzy
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I got cited for Vehicle Code 27151 - Mod. Exhaust. (correctable)

Has anyone who's gone and got their excessive exhaust noise tickets cleared did you put back the stock exhaust? or has anyone ever try just putting on the silencer on the exhaust tip to quiet it down within legal limits?

I was thinking of trying the later...

EvoPwr
03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
what type of exhaust do you have?

izzy
03-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Helix. It's not too bad under normal conditions, but in my case I was WOT not seeing the unmarked CHP at night.

Skiracer
03-14-2005, 06:26 PM
this thread talks about how to remedy your situation. I'm in the same boat as you...
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7733&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

mybada
03-14-2005, 08:27 PM
actually, he is pretty lucky since he got correctable ticket and if I remember correctly, you got non-correctable ticket like mine, right?
If it's correctable ticket, it's a lot easier! All he needs to do is to take off after market exhaust and put the stock one back in and get the ticket signed off by any PD.
If you think your exhaust is under 95lbs @ 5400rpm then get it tested by referee station and bring certificate to any PD, they will sign it off.

Good luck!

BTW what the fuck is wrong with cops these days? Why do they issue so many exhaust tickets all of sudden? :?

izzy
03-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeh, fortunately mine was checked off as 'correctable'.
So no one has tried to get it signed off with a silencer on? Doesn't have to be an Evo, any car really. I just want to know if it was successful. I think I may try it. If it doesn't work, then i'll swap. Trying to prevent more work than necessary.

warpspeed
03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
BTW what the fuck is wrong with cops these days? Why do they issue so many exhaust tickets all of sudden? :?

I my opinion, it all started in the 90's when this import scene blew up. There were people who were tuning their rides the right way by putting parts made for their cars. Then you get these people trying to imitate the real tuners but going about it the wrong way. They would put 3" exhaust on their stock cars. All they made was noise which caught the attention on the popos. You guys know what I'm talking. Have you ever seen a Honda/Acura with a 3" exhaust making alot of noise and going nowhere.

Skiracer
03-14-2005, 09:28 PM
actually, he is pretty lucky since he got correctable ticket and if I remember correctly, you got non-correctable ticket like mine, right?
If it's correctable ticket, it's a lot easier! All he needs to do is to take off after market exhaust and put the stock one back in and get the ticket signed off by any PD.
If you think your exhaust is under 95lbs @ 5400rpm then get it tested by referee station and bring certificate to any PD, they will sign it off.

Good luck!

Ya, i got a non correctable modified exhaust ticket same CVC violation as the original poster. I'm gonna wait till i get a letter from CHP relating to my ticket before i proceed.

rammsteinmatt
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Have you ever seen a Honda/Acura with a 3" exhaust making alot of noise and going nowhere.

you mean there are some that dont just make noise and go nowhere?

ultraflip
03-14-2005, 09:39 PM
please do a search... this subject has been discussed time after time

warpspeed
03-14-2005, 09:52 PM
But you know what's so bad about these exhaust tickets and getting it signed off by the ref. is that the popos can still ticket you for a modified exhaust even though the ref. say it's okay. Yes they can. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a CHP and he said that if a cop really wants to be a dick, he can write it up and he can say that "how do I know that this is the same exhaust that the ref. tested on this vehicle. You could have changed it back." and give you a ticket again.

Skiracer
03-14-2005, 10:28 PM
But you know what's so bad about these exhaust tickets and getting it signed off by the ref. is that the popos can still ticket you for a modified exhaust even though the ref. say it's okay. Yes they can. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a CHP and he said that if a cop really wants to be a dick, he can write it up and he can say that "how do I know that this is the same exhaust that the ref. tested on this vehicle. You could have changed it back." and give you a ticket again.

Don't the refs give u some sort of certificate with the manufacturer name on it? If that's the case, i can just show the cop my manufactuer logo on the tip of my exhaust matches with the certificate. Will that work?

ABP TypeS
03-14-2005, 10:50 PM

Don't the refs give u some sort of certificate with the manufacturer name on it? If that's the case, i can just show the cop my manufactuer logo on the tip of my exhaust matches with the certificate. Will that work?

That won't work if the cop is a dick. I remember one of the rsx guys got a ticket for his hks hipower and after getting it tested he got stopped again, and got another ticket. Cop said he didn't know if it was the same exhaust even though it says it on the exhaust.

Richard EVO
03-15-2005, 11:45 AM
I got a non-correctable (I think, the ticket is a little unclear) exhaust ticket, CVC 27151(a) this morning, and the cop told me to go to the state referee to have it tested.

I am so sick of this BS. I'm just guilty of DAE ("Driving An EVO")!!! :evil:

I guess I will bolt on a stock exhaust to get tested.

Luscious
03-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I got a non-correctable (I think, the ticket is a little unclear) exhaust ticket, CVC 27151(a) this morning, and the cop told me to go to the state referee to have it tested.

I got a CVC 27151 for a STOCK exhaust. How's that for bullshit?

mybada
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Great....every fucking mods are illegal in People's Republic of California!

Skiracer
03-15-2005, 06:50 PM

After u get tested, do you still have to go to court?

Richard EVO
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Yes, to show the Judge that you got the correction signed off. You might be able to do that by mail, but I also got a speeding ticket at the same time that I am contesting.

Skiracer
03-15-2005, 07:16 PM

I got a CVC 27151 for a STOCK exhaust. How's that for bullshit?

That really sucks!

Edward M
03-15-2005, 07:25 PM

When you goto the state referee, does that mean it's also a smog station or do you just get your exhaust sensitivity tested. In my case, I'm running no cat and will not pass a smog test. As for the sensitivity test, I have a few resonators so I'll be okay.

Can you guys please let me know what exactly the referee station is???

Thanks,
Ed

Richard EVO
03-15-2005, 07:31 PM
My understanding, although I have not been through this before, is that the ticket if for modified exhuast that is TOO LOUD. So the referee test the noise level with a dB measuring device. That's it. I sure as hell don't want no stinkin' smog test. :evil:

rammsteinmatt
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM

When you goto the state referee, does that mean it's also a smog station or do you just get your exhaust sensitivity tested. In my case, I'm running no cat and will not pass a smog test. As for the sensitivity test, I have a few resonators so I'll be okay.

Can you guys please let me know what exactly the referee station is???

Thanks,
Ed

you might wanna put that cat back on before going there. my cousin had his car impounded for having a SR20DET in his 240 and S13 front end, and said that when you go to the ref, they will fine you for everything that is not law compliant. i think if you go to the ref and he/they are measuring db levels and your car blows a fireball....they will be like so whacha got on there? remember the catless fine is extremely steep, and you cant really fight it

EvoPwr
03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Better to be safe than (a couple hundred dollar) sorry

KRS333
03-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Yes, to show the Judge that you got the correction signed off. You might be able to do that by mail, but I also got a speeding ticket at the same time that I am contesting.

Actually you do not see a judge at all. If things are still the same you will pay ten dollars for them to sign off the ticket (which means pay someone ten bucks to sit on there ass will you rev up your) & another ten bucks for court fees.. I wouls put the silencer back on & yuor cat as well... Just to be safe..

Edward M
03-15-2005, 07:50 PM
So, correct me if I'm wrong... If I get a modified exhaust ticket, for whatever reason, and goto the state referee... they will see that nothing on my car is stock, including none of the pieces on the motor and I will get my car impounded?? So, I'm guessing it's not only a sensitivity test but a full out "modified car test?"

rammsteinmatt
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
So, correct me if I'm wrong... If I get a modified exhaust ticket, for whatever reason, and goto the state referee... they will see that nothing on my car is stock, including none of the pieces on the motor and I will get my car impounded?? So, I'm guessing it's not only a sensitivity test but a full out "modified car test?"

thats my understanding of the situation. i was told that refs look for everything illegal. however the situation i'm familiar with was different. my cousin was sent there, he didn't volunteer to go there. so they might be more leniant on you because you are going to get only one thing inspected

Edward M
03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Hmm... makes sense. By any chance you guys wouldn't happen to know if a cop can give you a ticket for no cat?? I'm guessing he just gives you one of those non-correctable exhaust tickets and the state referee decides whether your set up is legal or illegal...

Also, are they legally allowed to pop your hood and take a look... I've heard both sides to this.

Chris in SD
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Whatever I end up buying next will only get wheel/tire and brake upgrades (if it needs it). Maybe some coilovers and ECU mod. It's not worth the headaches.

KRS333
03-15-2005, 07:58 PM

thats my understanding of the situation. i was told that refs look for everything illegal. however the situation i'm familiar with was different. my cousin was sent there, he didn't volunteer to go there. so they might be more leniant on you because you are going to get only one thing inspected

If you got cited for other things besides your exhaust then you should worry. But you are only going for that & that only. There are checking the sound of the exhaust which is in the rear not under your hood..

KRS333
03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Whatever I end up buying next will only get wheel/tire and brake upgrades (if it needs it). Maybe some coilovers and ECU mod. It's not worth the headaches.
What will be your next pick? How is everything going for you with your insurance?

Chris in SD
03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
What will be your next pick? How is everything going for you with your insurance?

My Evo will be paid off by next week. I ended up getting about 1/3 value for my mods (obviously not including labor). Some things were pretty fairly rated (RMR exhaust = $250, boost controller = $175), but others were wack (IC piping = $100). Oh well. I can't complain too much...

I posted in another thread about my shortlist: Audi RS4 Avant, Porsche 997 Carrera S, Nissan GT-R, Evo IX.

Skiracer
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I got my exhaust citation on March 5th. Any idea how long it takes for me to receive the followup letter in the mail from CHP or the courts?

KRS333
03-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I got my exhaust citation on March 5th. Any idea how long it takes for me to receive the followup letter in the mail from CHP or the courts?

When i had my Honda i got several fix it tickets & most were for my exhaust. I would just slap on the silencer & take it to a CHP station to have it signed off. After that just wait for the paper work to come in from the court & just send the signed off ticket.

evo mr
03-16-2005, 01:20 AM
yeah i got a ticket for mod exhaust in the hot import night i just pull out of the parking made a left and i got pull over i was wtf all ready and he made me pop my hood and i refuse to lol

Luscious
03-16-2005, 10:05 AM

I got my speeding/exhaust ticket on Feb. 10th, and got the follow up letter about a week and a half ago.
I'm heading to the Pomona Superior Court today @ lunchtime to file for a trial by written declaration.

Skiracer
03-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok, i got an appointment at the referee station at LA Trade Technical College in downtown LA. Anybody have a good/bad experience here?

Richard EVO
03-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Ok, i got an appointment at the referee station at LA Trade Technical College in downtown LA. Anybody have a good/bad experience here?

Please post a review of what happened there when you get home. Thanks.

Evo mattVI
03-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I can't believe they can pull you for something so petty over there, in the UK they can't really touch you if you have laud exhaust.

You just drive on by :D

KRS333
03-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Thats were i would always go besides visiting my friends at the CHP... You have to go to the check station that is at the end of the block.. Rev up to about 4 or 5 rpm's & if the referee is not a total dick he will sign you off...

Skiracer
03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
yeah i got a ticket for mod exhaust in the hot import night i just pull out of the parking made a left and i got pull over i was wtf all ready and he made me pop my hood and i refuse to lol

So, what happened after you refused to pop your hood?

10-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Sorry for reviving this thread, but to the original poster:

Did you get this resolved by going to the PD with just a silencer? I read through the thread carefully, and it looked like you intended to go directly to the PD with your exhaust and silencer (as opposed to getting it tested at a referee station.. then getting it signed off).

I am in the same boat as you. I think I could possibly get my exhaust ticket signed off because the RSR exhaust I am running actually looks pretty stock to be honest. Unlike other exhausts with large canisters, the RSR has a smallish canister that is not that noticeable.

As a side note, I highly advise no one with a modded car to drive around Rowland Heights/Industry/Puente Hills late at night..* :roll:

emperor_gp
10-30-2005, 02:22 AM
I've gotten signed off before just by putting a silencer on. That time I was running a N1 style exhaust.

10-30-2005, 02:41 AM
I've gotten signed off before just by putting a silencer on.* That time I was running a N1 style exhaust.

So you just went directly to a CHP station and they signed it off? Which CHP station did you go to if this is how you did it?

gt40
10-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Do a trial by declaration if you get popped and consider ways to keep your car quiet...

10-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Do a trial by declaration if you get popped and consider ways to keep your car quiet...

The violation is correctable, so there is only be a $10 "processing fee" involved. I think I will just try to get it signed off this time.

izzy
11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Putting the silencer didn't work for me. I ended up just putting back the stock exhaust and paying the $10.

emperor_gp
11-05-2005, 09:42 PM
I've gotten signed off before just by putting a silencer on.* That time I was running a N1 style exhaust.

So you just went directly to a CHP station and they signed it off? Which CHP station did you go to if this is how you did it?

this was in bakersfield and all i had to do was go to the police station and they signed me off..

GokuSSJ4
11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I've gotten signed off before just by putting a silencer on. That time I was running a N1 style exhaust.

this was in bakersfield and all i had to do was go to the police station and they signed me off..

that has changed.. the ticket can be cited as a non correctable violation, which means even if you get the damn thing sign off by CHP, the court will charge you a fine (not your adverage $10.00 court fee) but it starts around $60.00 depending if it shows in there records how many times you have commited this violation ...

emperor_gp
11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
wow, damn, thats money! I can't believe the government can rape us like that.

EvoPwr
11-06-2005, 12:49 PM

i can, it's the gov't

GokuSSJ4
11-06-2005, 01:11 PM

from what i was told by the court (and this was awhile ago) the fine will increase every single time you are caught with using an aftermarket exhaust..
I'm sure that $60.00 fee has gone up :'(

EvoPwr
11-06-2005, 01:34 PM

from what i was told by the court (and this was awhile ago) the fine will increase every single time you are caught with using an aftermarket exhaust..
I'm sure that $60.00 fee has gone up :'(

ouch, yea the cops should forget about cars getting stolen every minute or two, and all of the robberies, murders, rapes, drug dealing. aftermarket exhaust will be the downfall of america :roll:

GokuSSJ4
11-06-2005, 02:22 PM
it sucks, especially in the LA area :-\

shadowist
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
my friend has a rsx type s, i think he has a hi power exhaust on, and has his cat still on. he got a modified exhaust ticket and took his car to the chp in baldwin park. the officer didnt put a db tester or anything and just told him to rev his engine. then he wrote down that he didnt pass the db test. are they able to do that?

he even had a silencer on. is there anything he can do about it?

Skiracer
11-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Bring the car to a ref station where they do test with a DB meter!

shadowist
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
can he get another test done that will be accepted even though technically the first tester failed him?

nosnip
12-08-2005, 08:42 AM
just some helpful info that i got from my exhaust ticket. Cited with a DC SPORTS 3" exhaust (non-correctable violation) in the Chatsworth. i decided to play it safe and re-install the stock exhaust.

I was recently pulled over in my 2003 Mitsubishi EVO in the valley and given a citation for Modified Loud Exhaust - noting ''Non-Correctable' on my ticket. Later I was sent a $124 letter to post bail regarding the Modified Exhaust violation. Since the ticket stated Non-Correctable, I figured I could just pay the amount and be done. Apparently I needed to get the vehicle tested @ one of the Official State Referee stations and signed off by a CHP thereafter.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news040210_noise/

We slapped the stock OEM exhaust back on and the car passed with flying colors. The exhaust noise test is taken from an SAE Standard test. The SAE test states that the vehicle must be under 95 decibels @ 4875 RPM using a calibrated dB tool (20" behind the bumper x 8" above ground x 45°). My vehicle rang in with a 85.1 dB reading and was given an official Passing compliance sticker on the back of my citation.

Voltron
01-09-2006, 07:41 AM
sorry to bump an old thread back to life... but i need some help from the fellow members here on socal...

i just received my violation of 27151(a) yesterday @ a burger king local to me... no where on the ticket is it marked as correctable or not... this is my second time getting this ticket for the SAME exhaust... HKS Hi-Power... stock cat.. stock dp...

i didn't really want to argue w/ the officer cause she looked pretty angry towards my car....

anyways... like i said... this is my second time receiving this citation... the paperwork that i had received from HKS USA quite some time ago was only valid for the first year i owned the exhaust.. it's been well over a year now... can someone please advise me on how i could proceed with this?

regards
longestusernameeverreadyo

MrBubbler
10-25-2006, 12:59 AM
so if i have an officer sign off a modified exhaust ticket will he legally be able to look under my hood or anything like that?

MrBubbler
11-03-2006, 05:13 PM
bump someone tell me what the ref testing was likeplease