PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for EGT probe install...

kimletrim
03-16-2005, 05:50 PM
For those that have done it or have sufficient knowledge to do it,
is there an alternative to installing the EGT probe at the exhuast runners?
I am aware that you can tap into the downpipe, but I am looking to see if there are other possibilities.

My reason for asking is I have an aftermarket exhuast heatshield and I want to avoid having to drill through the heatshield.

leaveit2bevo
03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
most accurate spot is in the 1 or 2 exhaust runner, I think the down pipe is to far down to be accurate.

kimletrim
03-16-2005, 05:55 PM
most accurate spot is in the 1 or 2 exhaust runner, I think the down pipe is to far down to be accurate.

Understood. HOwever, are there alternatives to drilling through the heat shield?

leaveit2bevo
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
depends on how close it is to the exhaust mani, and how big the probe is.

Absinthe
03-16-2005, 06:00 PM
and how big the probe is.

leaveit2bevo
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
and how big the probe is.

what?

gofaster87
03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
You may be able to take it through the bolt hole that holds the heatshield to the manifold on runner 1 but like the others say it depends on how big the probe is. If youre trying to make it stealth I dont think its going to happen without compromising the optimum location of the egt probe.

Mike W
03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
[quote="kimletrim]
Understood. HOwever, are there alternatives to drilling through the heat shield?

Maybe a 12 ga. slug would blow a hole big enough. B more fun than a drill too...

But really, you dont have a drill or the skill or you just dont think it would be cute to have the probe there? You can put the probe where ever you feel like, but you will only be able to compare your numbers with other peoples with the probe in the same spot. If you want to compare your numbers with the cool kids, you have to put it where the cool kids have their probe.

Mike W

gofaster87
03-16-2005, 06:32 PM
And you know you want to be kool like Mike. You can take it to RRE and let them do it, pretty cheap too. Ive seen do it yourselfers botch it too often.

EVOate909
03-16-2005, 06:40 PM
jus suck it up and do it...i drilled my cusco heat shield :(

BOVBILLY
03-16-2005, 06:42 PM
WHO GIVES A RATS ASS ABOUT A RUSTED/FADED BLACK HEAT SHIELD.

BUT, IF THERE IS THAT EXTRA MILIMETER OF HEAT, THAT DOES ESCAPE, SHIT, YOU MIGHT CRACK YOUR MANIFOLD, OR YOUR BLOCK, OR YOU MUFFLER BEARINGS!

BECAREFUL!!

I WARNED YOU.

kimletrim
03-16-2005, 08:52 PM
[quote="kimletrim]

Maybe a 12 ga. slug would blow a hole big enough. B more fun than a drill too...

But really, you dont have a drill or the skill or you just dont think it would be cute to have the probe there? You can put the probe where ever you feel like, but you will only be able to compare your numbers with other peoples with the probe in the same spot. If you want to compare your numbers with the cool kids, you have to put it where the cool kids have their probe.

Mike W

Thank Mike. What you say makes all the sense in the world. I just wanted to get a feel for what the possibilities were. Seems like a a small hole in my bling bling titanium heat shield is a small price to pay for accurate readings. How much would your guys charge for this service?

kimletrim
03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Is this a reccomended place to install the probe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/kimletrim/untitled.bmp

turbolarry
03-17-2005, 01:27 AM
The clearance might be tight and it will require a little more work;
The same number one runner, closest to the timing belt, but from the bottom. This is the route I'm taking when the time comes, mainly for stealth. You will have to remove the manifold to do it.

WavMixer
03-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Kim,
Here is where I placed mine:
http://wavmixer.com/evo/egt.jpg
This can be a pain in the ass and you might seriously consider letting Road Race do it for you. Mike probed me ;)

Knower
03-17-2005, 07:26 PM
The clearance might be tight and it will require a little more work;
The same number one runner, closest to the timing belt, but from the bottom. This is the route I'm taking when the time comes, mainly for stealth. You will have to remove the manifold to do it.

Pain in the ass to change the probe that way, but I understand. This is a huge pain in the ass if you don't have a good drill and bit. Cast iron isn't so soft.