PDA

View Full Version : Pillow mounts, adjustable camber correction. Need DIY help

evolved
03-17-2005, 10:16 AM
I searched the site but was unable to find the information I was looking for. So here it goes.
I put the Tein S-Tech springs on my car and figured I would roll with it until I picked up my new tires. Then I would get the Adjustable pillow mounts to adjust for camber.
I am at that point now, and I am looking for some info on how to get the camber back to stock settings.
If this should be done at a shop, I will be happy to go to a reputable shop.(need suggestions for places near Oceanside)
I have never liked other people to work on my car, especially if it is something I can do myself. So has anyone ever installed the pillow mount and set their own camber? any pointers?
Thanks in advance.
(this is the pillow mounts I am looking at picking up for the front)
http://www.500whp.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=88_26_34_50&products_id=208

will the rear pillow mounts give me the ability to correct camber in the rear? Stupid questions, I know, but I am learning about suspension.

http://www.500whp.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=88_26_34_50&products_id=414

JWest
03-17-2005, 11:58 AM
First, before you go too far down the road towards running "pillow ball" mounts with you stock dampers & spring designed for stock dampers, I suggest checking w/ the vendor as to where or not such things work together.

Second, aligning your own car w/out the right tools (mainly the measuring ones((although you can do a lot with a good pice of string)) would likely not get you where you want to be. As for shops, the only one I take my cars to, is in Santa Fe Springs and you all ready read about those guys.

Third, it is unlikely that pillow ball rear mounts will help you with camber at the rear of the car. (Next time your loving your car, look at how the damper is connected to the wheel) :-)

Have fun, (note! for some reason, there is more good information about aligning cars in books, than there is on the internet. Go figure)

JW

gofaster87
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
They do make pillow ball mounts for the stock front suspension. Rear is done another method utilizing cammed bolts. You can buy rear aluminum top mounts though. There are a ton of do it yourself write ups on alignments but it woul be easier to take it to a reputable shop.

beavis4g63t
03-17-2005, 05:17 PM
There are a ton of do it yourself write ups on alignments but it woul be easier to take it to a reputable shop.

if you do some homework you can get some settings that may better suit your driving than the factory ones and take them with you or a reputable shop may be able to offer some suggestions. i think go faster hit the nail on the head. home alignments are better suited for someone who has a good understanding of the tools and principles necessary to do it right.

evolved
03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
good to go.
Well that pretty much settles it for me.
any suggestions for a good shop in my area?

gofaster87
03-25-2005, 04:46 AM
No idea what is out in the san diego area but if you have the time John at RRE is proficient at doing alignments on the Evo.