PDA

View Full Version : service engine soon light issue

evo tr1p
03-19-2005, 09:44 PM
waddup yall. sorry if someone already asked this question before, but i couldn't find any thread in regards to this subject.

i have a 2003 gsr. got an intake, downpipe, fmic, radiator, catback, but no new mods added recently. have about 28,100 miles on it. today, all of a sudden getting back into the car after dinner, the "service engine light" stays on. it stayed on the whole drive home.

any ideas on what could be causing this? thanks in advance.

toku-one
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
try going to an autozone and getting the code pulled. easiest way to find the problem

Blaze
03-20-2005, 12:12 AM
the "service engine light" stays on. it stayed on the whole drive home.

any ideas on what could be causing this? thanks in advance.

There are a few reasons why the SES light will come on. First of all, with the weather the way it is, you're probably throwing a P0400 or P0430 (I think) code, which is for your cat. Basically it's not heating up enough, not burning off enough fuel, thus the code is thrown. It's nothing to be alarmed about, just go to Kragen or Autozone, borrow their scan tool and reset the code.

The second reason you may have an SES light may be due to the fact that you own an 03. The 03 evos had a problem with the P0300 codes. This is a multiple cylinder misfire and there is a flash from the dealer you can get for free that correct this. Strangely enough it's caused by the cam angle sensor being too sensitive. It may also pop up if you are running a VTA BOV. VTA BOVs can cause your engine to shudder and set off the code.

Either way, just reset the code and you'll be fine.

If it pops up as something different, let us know.

Blaze

evo tr1p
03-20-2005, 03:41 PM
thanks guys. i about to go to autozone to see which code it is. once i found out, i will post it.

Gear Grinder
03-20-2005, 05:34 PM
The only time I've had a cell is when I've filled my tank with Shell. Must be that special V-Power.

evo tr1p
03-23-2005, 04:01 PM
so i went to autozone today and borrowed their obd tool.

4 error codes

p0136
o2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)

p0141
o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)

p0136 (with a weird "pd" looking symbol on the end of this display line on the tool)
o2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)

p0141 (with a weird "pd" looking symbol on the end of this display line on the tool)
o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)

anybody have any thoughts on this? thanks.

Blak94GSX
03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
What kind of catalytic converter do you have between the downpipe and your catback?

Is the rear O2 sensor installed in the catback?

evo tr1p
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
What kind of catalytic converter do you have between the downpipe and your catback?

Is the rear O2 sensor installed in the catback?

my cat is stock

Blak94GSX
03-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Make sure it is securely plugged in.

evo tr1p
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
i'll check it out when i get home.

if it is secure, then would it mean that it is shot, and i need a new one?

would something like this be covered under warranty?

Blak94GSX
03-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I doubt the rear O2 sensor is shot, but I suppose anything is possible. Usually those codes mean the ECU doesn't see the sensor attached at all.