PDA

View Full Version : windshield tint strip legal?

Skiracer
03-21-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm going to a referee station this week to check my exhaust and window tint violations. I removed the tint on the front windows. However, i do have a windshield tint strip. Anybody know if the strip is legal? Should i remove the strip just in case?

OptimusPrime
03-21-2005, 11:08 AM
You can have a 6 inch visor on your front windshield. No more than that.

hksevo8
03-21-2005, 11:40 AM
You can have a 6 inch visor on your front windshield. No more than that.

6 inches is way to vague. I got a visor ticket a few years ago and there is some wacky way of measuring how low the cut off line can be for a visor strip. When the cop read me the code it stated something about how far up from the seat (when depressed with weight) and the line in the windshield that meets that axis point. Your best bet is to just pull it off and have it re-done. If you are really anxious to fight it, then verify the vehicle code online. Good luck

Skiracer
03-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Ya, i think i'll have it removed. Here's the code relating to it. Sounds complicated and sounds like a lot of work for the referee, so i'd rather not hassle him:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.