PDA

View Full Version : RRE's Quaife LSD: post reviews here

d3wu
03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
since the quaifes are coming in the next couple weeks to RRE, i figured some people were getting them installed soon....please update this thread with reviews / driving impressions when possible :D

all stock
03-23-2005, 03:24 AM
What's the difference between the RRE Quaife LSD and the Quaife LSD? RRE is just getting Quaifes?

moogle
03-23-2005, 03:34 AM
the question *my question* is what's the diff between the 05 lsd and the quaiffe.

d3wu
03-23-2005, 03:41 AM
What's the difference between the RRE Quaife LSD and the Quaife LSD? RRE is just getting Quaifes?

yeah i believe quaife is releasing the first Evo Quaife LSDs to RRE because they put the orders together and made it happen? someone correct me if im wrong..

the question *my question* is what's the diff between the 05 lsd and the quaiffe.

^ thats my question also...

GokuSSJ4
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
this is the picture available from quaife web site
http://www.quaifeusa.com/differentials/b5diff.gif

This pics are available on the RRE web site :

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife/quaife08-640.jpg

WavMixer
03-23-2005, 11:25 AM

yeah i believe quaife is releasing the first Evo Quaife LSDs to RRE because they put the orders together and made it happen? someone correct me if im wrong..

^ thats my question also...You are correct. Mike W got this whole thing started a couple years ago.

GokuSSJ4
03-23-2005, 11:29 AM

^ thats my question also...

This was also posted by Mike W

There are three components inside the transfer case. One is the ring and pinion gear set that allows the power to change direction and head down the drive shaft to the back of the car. The second is the front differential. The third thing in there is the viscous coupler for the center diff (the center diff actually lives back inside the tranny).

The thing that most people break inside the transfer case is the spider gears in the front differential. Dude goes and practices his launches, gets some wheel hop and breaks the spider gears in the front differential. He goes to the dealership and they tell him he needs a new transfer case for $2k+. Thus the thinking that the transfer cases are weak. Some people have had trouble with the ring and pinion gears, but most trouble is with the front differential.

Busted Stock Front Diff (http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife/EVO%20busted%20front%20diff.jpg)

Mitsubishi had Getrag of Germany build the transfer case assembly for the EVO. This is normally a good thing since Getrag builds some nice stuff. But also Getrag has this thing about not selling service parts separate. Everyone always cries about this after the fact but how many of you axed about it before buying the car?

This front differential will give you better traction coming out of a corner, yes. But most importantly it will prevent you from busting up your stock weak front diff, or if you catch it right away allow you to salvage your transfer case assembly by replacing just the differential. You can buy this diff before or after you blow up your stocker. But you will buy it if you are going to have fun with your car.

Stock diff on the left, Quaife on the right.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife/quaife08-640.jpg

More EVO Quaife Pics Here (http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife)

Mike W

alex_alex
03-23-2005, 11:38 AM
why must quiafe sound so similar to queef. makes me feel all tingly inside

CT9A RS
03-23-2005, 05:18 PM
well seeing as 03 and 04 GSRs have an open front diff. And the 04 RS like mine and the 05 evos have a helical limited slip front diff. wut r we talkin about here.

all stock
03-24-2005, 07:49 PM
quaife is offering life-time guarantee on their work? like always?

GokuSSJ4
03-25-2005, 12:22 PM
quaife is offering life-time guarantee on their work? like always?
yes, even on racing applications

gofaster87
03-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I got to see them the other day. A nice big shelf of quaifes waiting to be installed. Its really a nice looking piece.

wilson1
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
anyone got one install yet besides robi?

Smogrunner
03-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm in line for an install and can come in at the drop of a hat. Let me know Tony and Mike. If you get a no show, I can be there in 1 hour.

Mike W
03-25-2005, 10:31 PM
The RRE Quaife and the Quaife Quaife are the same. The only EVO Quaifes in the US currently from and will continue to come from RRE.

The only other Quaife installed as of right now is in Mueller's street EVO. 20 minutes ago he did about 67 donuts in the cul de sac and left in a blaze of tire smoke. I guess that means it is good.

The Quaife and the factory slippy diff work on the same principle. But the stock LSD is bolted together and what can fail is the bolts. Well... that is what I "heard" on the internet. and that shit dont lie. Allegedly someone makes some upgrade bolts for it. Quaife electron beam welded the case together to make room for stronger internals than if they had to make room for bolts and threaded holes.

The standard Quaife lifetime warranty including having too much fun still applies.

The pic posted claiming to be from Quaife's web site is a generic Quaife LSD pic and not an EVO diff.

Mike W

wilson1
03-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks for info, Mike!

Muellerized...
03-26-2005, 07:34 PM
The only other Quaife installed as of right now is in Mueller's street EVO. 20 minutes ago he did about 67 donuts in the cul de sac and left in a blaze of tire smoke. I guess that means it is good.

Ah yes, the smell of burning Advans:-)

So far so good, everything works as advertised, thanks Mike!

leif
03-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Is this proportionally as strong as the stock rear diff? No point in buying the front diff if it’s stronger than the rear.

Is it possible to buy these things or are the forever sold and indefinitely on back order? I really need a front diff so I'd buy it instantly...

Mike W
03-29-2005, 11:24 PM
You definately dont want one then :-) It is stronger than the rear diff and it will be quite some time before you can buy one instantly.

When you do want a front diff that is stronger than the rear and are willing to put in a deposit on one in advance of it arriving, let me know.

Mike W

leif
03-29-2005, 11:51 PM
You definately dont want one then :-) It is stronger than the rear diff and it will be quite some time before you can buy one instantly.

When you do want a front diff that is stronger than the rear and are willing to put in a deosit on one in advance of it arriving, let me know.

Mike W

well im just trying to think about the balance of the car, wouldn't it make sense to have one thats equally strong as the back?

how long is the wait? im willing to wait so long as it isnt a 50 year type thing. got nothing better to do lol.

Takashi
03-30-2005, 02:30 AM
what? i dont understand the argument behind this front-diff, rear-diff thing... especially seeing as one of the weak points of the drivetrain is the transfer case (ala the front diff), not the rear diff. in fact i've never heard of someone's rear diff crapping out (although i'm not purporting to have my ear to the street or anything). based on that, wouldn't it make more sense to offer an upgrade for the problematic front diff? and are we saying that a stronger front diff is going to cause problems in the rear? i dont know, maybe i'm missing something.

Mike W
03-30-2005, 04:12 AM

When you do want a front diff that is stronger than the rear and are willing to put in a deosit on one in advance of it arriving, let me know.

Mike W

well im just trying to think about the balance of the car, wouldn't it make sense to have one thats equally strong as the back?

how long is the wait? im willing to wait so long as it isnt a 50 year type thing. got nothing better to do lol.

So have Quaife make it weaker? I dun think that would be a good idea. I'm gonna go with the strongest diff that can be had. Maybe you could drill a bunch of holes in the gears or housing or something to make it break at the same time the rear would :-P Gouge it all up with a hack saw, dip it in acid maybe?

Quaife has started on a second production run. Should know the availability and quantities early next week. All of the production runs will sell out. They will never be available instantly. I have to buy them 30 at a time. It wil be a while before I am rolling in enough cash to have $10K-$15K of diffs just kicking it on the shelf for months. But that is why God made deposits, so you can get a Quaife.

Mike W

GokuSSJ4
03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm making an appointment, how long does it take to get it installed ?

Mike W
03-30-2005, 11:25 AM
The car would need to be in the shop for a day. Drop it off the night before, pick it up the following evening is best. We generally dont do stuff while you wait. About $300ish for labor. A little more for some fluids. Allow more time if you want it pre-weakened ;-)

[email protected]

Mike W

GokuSSJ4
03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Tony has call me already regarding an appointment (time to figure out what date is available and what day i can take off from work.

Smogrunner
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM

So have Quaife make it weaker? I dun think that would be a good idea. I'm gonna go with the strongest diff that can be had. Maybe you could drill a bunch of holes in the gears or housing or something to make it break at the same time the rear would :-P Gouge it all up with a hack saw, dip it in acid maybe?

Mike W

Leif, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you just got STALOWNED. :lol:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album161/stallowned.jpg

Leif, think of it this way: "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link." Although the Evo chain still has some weak links, the front diff was probably the weakest link. With the Quaife, the overall chain has gotten stronger. Yes, a few folks have blown their rear diffs, but WAY more people have blown their transfer cases.

leif
03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
i guess ive been owned, im almost afraid to ask this next thing for fear rre mite send up someone to slap me.... 1, 1.5 or 2 way?

Smogrunner
03-30-2005, 01:00 PM
i guess ive been owned, im almost afraid to ask this next thing for fear rre mite send up someone to slap me.... 1, 1.5 or 2 way?

All in fun Leif. I just couldn't resist the irony of me (a SoCalEvo regular) giving a NorCal Vishnu guy a hard time.

Takashi
03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
okay rre, so how much total cost for a quaife installed? Thanks!

leif
03-30-2005, 05:20 PM

All in fun Leif. I just couldn't resist the irony of me (a SoCalEvo regular) giving a NorCal Vishnu guy a hard time.

yeah i wasnt exactly worried..lol

GokuSSJ4
03-30-2005, 08:40 PM
The car would need to be in the shop for a day. Drop it off the night before, pick it up the following evening is best. We generally dont do stuff while you wait. About $300ish for labor. A little more for some fluids. Allow more time if you want it pre-weakened ;-)

[email protected]

Mike W

Mike W
03-30-2005, 09:47 PM

Different way diffs are a clutch type diff thing. This is a Torsen type LSD.

Mike W

leif
03-30-2005, 10:13 PM

Different way diffs are a clutch type diff thing. This is a Torsen type LSD.

Mike W

yeah i realized that after i posted it :oops: im tryin to snag one off soneone on evom, if that doenst work ill give you guys a call.

Chris in SD
03-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Mike, my refund (transfer) posted on my Visa statement - thanks again!

I wish I still had my Evo to use the diff.

GokuSSJ4
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
can't wait to post results , and then its time for the track (maybe)

EVO_RPM
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Tony called and made an appt for me next wed! Can't wait to get this on and try it out on the track!
Thanks RRE

- Rich

EVO_RPM
04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Just got back from RRE with my new Quaife installed! You can really feel it pull a lot better with a nice slight oversteer when cornering hard. I think its perfect for my driving style. Just want to say thanks to Tony for the great install.
Can't wait to try this out at the track.

- Rich

d3wu
04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
in 2 hrs im gonna pick up my car from RRE with the LSD installed :)

won't be going to the track till summer though..please keep the reviews coming :P