PDA

View Full Version : Experience at GT Motorsports (long)

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this story with you. A few of you were asking about GT Motorsports in a separate thread. They offer the Ecutek flash.

First of all, the owner, Sam, also owns many other divisions which are nearby including a full service machine shop where they build motors and a full service center. The motorsports division is where the AWD dyno is and where the tuning takes place.

Personally, I've always been a faithful RRE customer. But, I decided to go with the Ecutek flash because I want to keep my MR looking and feeling as stock as possible (for now).

I was scheduled on Friday at 8am to bring my car in. First off, we took off my old Helix exhaust and put on a brand new APS 3" TBE w/ cat delete. This exhaust is beautiful! Not only did the DP perfectly fit the MR (with the tie bar spacers) but it looked great and stock. The sound is amazing, nice tone during normal driving but opens up loud at WOT. The only minor detail is that the tip does not fully extend past the bumper (which I will probably resolve with a guard).

Before I brought the car in, I had a helix catback, AEM intake and Hallman MBC. When I went in, I reverted back to the stock vacuum hoses and removed the MBC. First dyno was only with AEM intake and APS TBE, 255 whp. By 10am, the tuning begins. We did a full pulls before lunch but the A/F was still very low and so decided to up the boost by changing the boost pill to something smaller. Of course, we had to take off the intake and stuff to get this done. Afterwards, it was boosting higher but A/F were still low. After a few hours, we decided to switch back to the stock airbox with a K&N drop-in filter. Unfortunately, I left my airbox at home and lived an hour away. So Sam let me drive one of his company cars (SRT-4) home to get it! It took me 2 hours to get back and by then it was around 7:30pm. So Sam bought me dinner and we got back to work.

After all was said and done, the car laid down about 280whp A/F's of only 10.2 and not touching the timing or fuel. So, just boost map mods, TBE and K&N drop-in filter. By then, it was about 11pm so we called it a day...

By the way, Sam was taking his 500whp Evo to the track the next day and Dr. Gray was coming to help tune his and another customers car. Yet, still, Sam continued to work on my car until it was done and ready to go. 8am-11pm nearly nonstop on my car. To say the least, he is a great guy, I learned a LOT from him (as I was constantly with the car asking questions) and he bought me dinner. :)

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I intend to go back as soon as Ecutek upgrades their Evo tuning software (which is still relatively primitive compared to the Subie software).

As for price, I won't mention exact numbers, but for all the work that was done on my car and the time spent, I'd say that I got a super deal! Oh, and the car feels great.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.

moogle
03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
As for price, I won't mention exact numbers, but for all the work that was done on my car and the time spent, I'd say that I got a super deal! Oh, and the car feels great.

Let me guess $900+ ??? I guess that's a super deal. :|

Absinthe
03-28-2005, 03:24 PM

let me guess your going to get:
SAFC
Harness
Injectors
MBC

oh look thats 900+ before the 165 to dyno tune it at TT super deal :roll:

Why dont we all quit hating on other peoples tuning chioces?

Blaze
03-28-2005, 03:30 PM
That's a great story, congrats.

But....correct me if I'm wrong: The flash, plus license costs nearly $1,000... PLUS Dyno time and you netted 25WHP only....on an 05??

The service was astounding, I'm certain...but RRE could have done the same for 70 bucks with an SAFC on a street tune or Tuning Technologies for slightly more on a dyno.

400 Verses 1000+
Retunable Verses Free retunes (but 200/hr on the dyno)
I don't know if you got the best bang for the buck.

Blaze

BOVBILLY
03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I AGREE WITH BLAZE!

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Let me guess $900+ ??? I guess that's a super deal.
I know there may have been slightly cheaper alternatives. But, it wasn't really an issue to me. It's one thing to look for killer deals and try to get as much HP out of as little money as possible. But, I was mostly looking for reliability and a little power increase. 280 whp is good for me (for now), considering the car looks and feels stock. I just want to go to the track every once and a while and have fun. IMO, it's good to form a relationship with someone that's going to be tuning your car and be able to count on them for your modding needs or questions. That was part of what I was paying for. Ya know? :)

Blaze
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I AGREE WITH BLAZE!

I don't mean to speak ill of GT. Previously their sales department sucked...BIG TIME. I think Sam will speak to that specifically.

They've got a great shop with gobs of potential. The fact is that the EWOK is a pretty good system for what it does....but it's still bound by "FLASH" limitations.

Keep an eye on GT. It's a fair bet there will be some very solid cars coming from them in the near future. All the ingredients are there.

Blaze

http://www.lepconnie.com/pics/starwars/ewok008.jpg

kaane
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
all that time and they didnt change the most important aspect of tuning? Fuel and ignition timing?? What were they tuning? Boost control?? I dont understand...

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:37 PM
But....correct me if I'm wrong: The flash, plus license costs nearly $1,000... PLUS Dyno time and you netted 25WHP only....on an 05??
Well, I didn't want to get into price details. But the flash/license was in that range. That *included* dyno time. But my car was on the dyno for about 5-6 hours altogether.

The problem was that I screwed up by leaving the AEM intake on and using incorrect hoses for boost control. Unfortunately, it cost a lot of time to correct this problem. Had I gone in with the stock intake setup in the first place, we definitely would have had more time to get much more out of the car. They offered me to come back at no cost to do a bit more tuning for a couple hours. I definitely will go back to get some real tuning done.

But you're right, $1000 for 25whp is insane. But I did get the license and we'll see what happens when I go back for better tuning.

Blaze
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
But I did get the license and we'll see what happens when I go back for better tuning.

You'll be in good shape/hands for the future, unless you decide you need a stand along. Hopefully if that happens you can sell your license.

I believe the retunes are all free (except for the dyno time).

Blaze

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:41 PM
all that time and they didnt change the most important aspect of tuning? Fuel and ignition timing??
Well the fuel was adjusted a hair to lean it out. This thread was not intended to brag about my car or the tuning. Just to give a bit more information on GT Motorsports because there is a lack of it around here and some people had questions regarding them. Unfortunately, we ran out of time because the car was being very finicky about boost due to various hoses and pills and partially due to my fault for Mickey Mousing the vacuum hoses before going in. :?

I am going to go back for that stuff and will report back afterwards.

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
You'll be in good shape/hands for the future, unless you decide you need a stand along. Hopefully if that happens you can sell your license.

I believe the retunes are all free (except for the dyno time).

Thanks Blaze. Yes, you are correct on the retune pricing.

gofaster87
03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
"8am-11pm nearly nonstop" What did you do in 15 hours of work? I know I bolted on appr. 400 hp (original setup)in a few hours and the afc took less than an hour. Im not trying to be an ass but Im just trying to understand what you did.

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
What did you do in 15 hours of work?
Well it wasn't non-stop work (I mispoke there). There was a lot of back and forth with the hoses and intake setup (I learned a lot from that) and testing different things. I had to go back home to get my airbox which took 2-3 hours. And finally, he had to squeeze another car in to dyno before we could get back to mine.

Anyway, I was hoping that I wouldn't receive much negativity from posting this. I was only trying to share my experience, not defend my car or GT Motorsports (I'm not on the payroll).

gofaster87
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I wasnt trying to be negative. Sam is a great guy, Ive met him and used his dyno in the past. His huge facility is nice, especially the machine shop, and covers every aspect of car tuning.

daveguitar
03-28-2005, 04:04 PM
No worries dude. I respect most of you guys and your opinions above all. So don't think that I don't want to "hear the truth" or anything. I'm sure I could have gone other routes, but I decided to dig a bit deeper in my pockets and go with GT. I plan to get back the rest of my HP when I go back. :twisted:

Oh by the way, I left the bottom guard panel (that covers the front diff) at GT. Is there any worry about driving around without it for a while?

Thanks guys.

fast evo
03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Dave it was a pleasure meeting you at GT... I have the Yellow EVO... Any ways GT is a very capable shop with all of the neccesary facilities... Just so some people know this - there are some monsters coming out of that shop already...

EvoPwr
03-28-2005, 05:12 PM
wow sounds like a great place. sometimes the extra money is worth the peace of mind :wink:

turbolarry
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
daveguitar,
I'm glad you had a good experience with GT Motorsports. They better treat you well considering the coin you just gave them.
When I tried to get some simple tranny fluid from them they were just retarded.

moogle
03-28-2005, 11:53 PM

let me guess your going to get:
SAFC
Harness
Injectors
MBC

oh look thats 900+ before the 165 to dyno tune it at TT super deal :roll:

Why dont we all quit hating on other peoples tuning chioces?

Why don't u stop assuming that people are hating. I didn't say a word on the shop or recommended TT.

:roll: and another one buddy :roll:

safc used $150
splicing free
injectors $450
boost controll $50.
Tuning Technologies tune $165.

that's $815 + I would've probably gain more than 280+ with his setup. I wasn't hazing on the shop, I just don't believe that it was a super deal.

Absinthe
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
great example using used parts, and made up prices for them. Let alone the fact you think your getting 55whp with a factory exhaust.

moogle
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
great example using used parts, and made up prices for them. Let alone the fact you think your getting 55whp with a factory exhaust.

I said w/his setup. what's so made up everything I said is fact. You can get a used safc for $150. Infact let me drop this for you.
I don't need the injectors.

Safc $150
TT $165
boost "dejon" $50

w/his setup aps turbo-back, k&n filter.

$365 and I would still get more than 300 hp. What ever this aint even important, absi go waste your money on some super deal.

Absinthe
03-29-2005, 08:54 PM

I said w/his setup. what's so made up everything I said is fact. You can get a used safc for $150. Infact let me drop this for you.

Safc $150
TT $165
boost "dejon" $50

$365 and I would still get more than 300 hp. What ever this aint even important, absi go waste your money on some super deal.

Look buddy I toned down my initial response to you, I didnt call you a moron but arent you the kid that bought the cheapo flash and then couldn't even get your flash done right so you had to buy your third evo?

That alone should disqualify you from commenting on peoples choices of tuning as it relates to value, or where they choose to waste their money. (ask bevo how sweet used parts are)

Oh and you wont make 300whp on a stock exhaust with the first set up you described, you might make 300 whp with the second set up but I have seen those parts tuned and dynoed and the dyno print out looked like shit, the car was pulling so much timing the curve looked like a retarted kid trying to draw a hill. Given that I would expect that evo to be running as well as your last one in about 20k miles.

Blaze
03-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Look buddy I toned down my initial response to you, I didnt call you a moron but arent you the kid that bought the cheapo flash and then couldn't even get your flash done right so you had to buy your third evo?

That statement is an assumption, because the facts surrounding Moogle's 3rd EVO were unrelated to his cheapo flash. :wink:

As for the other statements, I'll leave it to you two to discuss. :wink:

moogle
03-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Safc $150
TT $165
boost "dejon" $50

That alone should disqualify you from commenting on peoples choices of tuning as it relates to value, or where they choose to waste their money. (ask bevo how sweet used parts are)

Oh and you wont make 300whp on a stock exhaust with the first set up you described, you might make 300 whp with the second set up but I have seen those parts tuned and dynoed and the dyno print out looked like shit, the car was pulling so much timing the curve looked like a retarted kid trying to draw a hill. Given that I would expect that evo to be running as well as your last one in about 20k miles.

Your assumption goes on again, and I never called you a moron either, but now that I think about it. Toning down your post, why? No need. When did I say I would make 300 hp w stock setup. You assume I would go with injectors, safc, and boost w/out turbo-back, why would I do that? The dynocrash that fucked up my ecu was an issue, but there were other reasons why I wanted an 05. I had hook up w/trickedout on a good deal, I had up side on my evo, 05 got bigger turbo, lsd, and so on. Look he made his decision and its already been done, and I never mention about any tuner bsds I don't think it was a sweet deal as he said, and than u assume I was talking shit. Ah call me a kid, your a big shot now... put me lower than you ok.

On dynoflash, I was trying to get my money back from dynofuck and he gave me no choice except choosing his gay flash. What ever, assume all you want. I am done you'll just drag me down to your level w/experience. :lol:

Nebolic
03-30-2005, 02:30 AM
wtf? why is this shit turning into EvoM?????

Nebo

moogle
03-30-2005, 02:36 AM
no its not like evom,its just misunderstanding and a few assumptions that needs to be corrected. I don't think its any harm.